Markhi Strickland in the transfer portal

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

Moving down to JUCO really surprised me. Huge disappointment for someone with so much talent but on the other hand he will be annihilating juco competition. Think it's just a one year stint to improve his prospects?

If he had decent offers he wouldn't be going to Juco.

Much more likely is that your analysis was just wrong.

HoosierPal likes this

Only reason he's going to JUCO is because of grades.

Much like Jimmy Bell, he's already been at SLU two seasons.  Scholastically this is a step backwards and means he is not a sophomore credit wise.

JMM28 likes this

6 hours ago, almaman said:

add him to list of highly regarded TF recruits doing time in juco after being on signed, &/or on the roster. Gordon, JBJ, seems like some others. weird 

The "seems like some others" includes Madani Diarra, but similar to Markhi, he wasn't a "highly regarded recruit." Gordon might be the only one that went from truly "highly regarded" to Juco.

@SLUMedBilliken15:  I really did.  I thought somewhere along the line, someone is going somewhere good.  I really though it would be Gordon.  But DePaul, Southwestern Florida JUCO and then Grambling really suck.  Then I thought it might be Nesbitt.  Hampton?  Give me a break!  That just seems to be our SLU legacy.  Neither here no there but no one goes upwards from this program.  Ever.

I do get that players 11 thru 13 are not going up anywhere but have to go down in order to try out once again.  And especially try out in todays day and age of open transfers and transfer portal.  If you are not playing for the "JayVee squad" you certainly aren't going up to p[lay with the big boys.  I will watch with great interest to see if Jimmy Bell even sniffs the floor dat West Virginia.  

Right now, what do we know?  Ford plays eight guys.  Let's see .... 1) Collins.  2) Perkins.  3) Okoro.  4) Jimerson.  5) Thatch.  6) Hargrove.  7) Pickett.  8)Parker.  Seems to me we are full up but the roster composition doesn't look good (to me) right now.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@SLUMedBilliken15:  I really did.  I thought somewhere along the line, someone is going somewhere good.  I really though it would be Gordon.  But DePaul, Southwestern Florida JUCO and then Grambling really suck.  Then I thought it might be Nesbitt.  Hampton?  Give me a break!  That just seems to be our SLU legacy.  Neither here no there but no one goes upwards from this program.  Ever.

I do get that players 11 thru 13 are not going up anywhere but have to go down in order to try out once again.  And especially try out in todays day and age of open transfers and transfer portal.  If you are not playing for the "JayVee squad" you certainly aren't going up to p[lay with the big boys.  I will watch with great interest to see if Jimmy Bell even sniffs the floor dat West Virginia.  

Right now, what do we know?  Ford plays eight guys.  Let's see .... 1) Collins.  2) Perkins.  3) Okoro.  4) Jimerson.  5) Thatch.  6) Hargrove.  7) Pickett.  8)Parker.  Seems to me we are full up but the roster composition doesn't look good (to me) right now.

rarely will you see the 4th-6th best players transfer up on a team that finished in the 60's like we did, or have been.

Also I fully expect JBJ to not only play, but log a decent amount of minutes. 

50 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

There have been a few like Julian Winfield that improved conferences.

Notice how careful I was when stating what he improved on, lol.

I like the roster you listed but Ford has to add a couple bigs otherwise there will be some match up problems.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Yuri went up for a week. Several of our players could have moved up. It's a credit to Ford and staff that none have.

ACE and Billiken Rich like this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

but taj, nesbit didnt get the right look imo.    now we know he was somewhat a bad teamate and gave ford the reason to more or less not give him highlight time, but still nesbit is better than hampton.   gordon was a known headcase.   he did it to himself.  hell we were hearing the stories of him beating up freshmen teamates his junior year of high school.   ford was wrong to even mess with that poison.  and i am sure the other gordon teams all believed they could change him as well.  not going to happen.  

as to the look of the roster, our fellow mbm's on the main board think this roster is nba finals ready.   i just shake my head.   lot of decent individual parts but this is the most disjointed roster since rickma's all star teams.   imo ford has a problem.   hope i am wrong.  

Old guy likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Why do you want players leaving SLU to be going "upward"? That seems like a strange thing to be worrying about.

In fact, I'm happy to see the players leaving go "downward", but maybe that's just me.

50 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but taj, nesbit didnt get the right look imo.    now we know he was somewhat a bad teamate and gave ford the reason to more or less not give him highlight time, but still nesbit is better than hampton.   gordon was a known headcase.   he did it to himself.  hell we were hearing the stories of him beating up freshmen teamates his junior year of high school.   ford was wrong to even mess with that poison.  and i am sure the other gordon teams all believed they could change him as well.  not going to happen.  

as to the look of the roster, our fellow mbm's on the main board think this roster is nba finals ready.   i just shake my head.   lot of decent individual parts but this is the most disjointed roster since rickma's all star teams.   imo ford has a problem.   hope i am wrong.  

If your definition of Ricma's rosters is disjointed, give me more of that...please!

stmdragons likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The teams above us don't want our bench players.  They also don't want the guys who are talented but erratic.  They want our stars.  If you want one of our players to move up, you're rooting for one of our top 3 players to leave.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

2 hours ago, DOC said:

Yuri went up for a week. Several of our players could have moved up. It's a credit to Ford and staff that none have.

In addition, I'm also happy to see local players who had SLU offers but originally signed elsewhere, wind up transferring to programs way below SLU... Kobe Clark, Kasubke, Mario McKinney as recent examples.

BuiltFordBills likes this

23 hours ago, thetorch said:

Only reason he's going to JUCO is because of grades.

Much like Jimmy Bell, he's already been at SLU two seasons.  Scholastically this is a step backwards and means he is not a sophomore credit wise.

This is a good point. What is going on that guys are transferring to JUCOs after 2 years here? 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The teams above us don't want our bench players.  They also don't want the guys who are talented but erratic.  They want our stars.  If you want one of our players to move up, you're rooting for one of our top 3 players to leave.

Don’t you realize coaches don’t feature guys you are not cutting it in the classroom and who will never graduate from SLU

All right.  Let me try to clarify what I'm trying to say .... if I can.

I am surprised with the amount or number of guys that come and occupy a spot on our roster and are given athletic scholarships to play basketball, and then don't play basketball.  And when they leave, they go to crap places.  Lesser teams in lesser conferences.  or even down to the JUCO level.  I actually get that with Bell and Strickland ---- they couldn't showcase here so they are going down an entire school level to play and get noticed and return triumphant.  Or something like that.  I'm okay with that.

I guess overall I am questioning the quality and basketball ability these guys do not have yet they sit on our bench for extended periods of time.  The list is nearly incredulous ..... KC Hankton, Madani Diarra, Dustin McGuire, Anthony Mitchell, Ingvi Gudmuindsson, Andre Lorentsson, Markhi Strickland, Grandy Glaze, John Manning, Zeke Moore, Gordon, Nesbitt, Bell, Traore, Tanner Lancona, Miles Reynolds, the trash can kid, Milik Yarbrough, Brett Jolly, Austin Gilman ..... do I need to go on?  

Don't take any one of these guys and defend them (ala Reynolds to Pacific then Oklahoma).  That is not my point so I guess my point is man, we sure do miss on a lot of guys with supposed "talent" that never amount to breaking wind let alone breaking records.  That's just amazinbg to me.