Markhi Strickland in the transfer portal

45 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I’m going to have a few conversations with folks I think could be a good resource in setting this up and hopefully we can think of something. I envision a pool of $ with a board that decides how that $ is spent. Let’s make something happen and soon! I think I’m fairly unpopular on this board, so please ignore that if I get something going.

Your a good poster and I will be happy to donate.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

we can start out just competing with the a-10 then later with the big boys

So you are ready to let Collins and Jimerson go to the highest bidder?  You don't think a P5 would ante up some nice cash for the nation's assist leader and/or a 42% 3 point shooter?

$500,000 to $1,000,00 in the startup pool. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So you are ready to let Collins and Jimerson go to the highest bidder?  You don't think a P5 would ante up some nice cash for the nation's assist leader and/or a 42% 3 point shooter?

i dont know why you think i am ready to let them go, i would have to liquidate some assets to get the million. i am sure you will match me. funny a week ago mbm's suggested i was crazy for even suggesting we look at nil, today we need a million to keep our players. i think you just like to argue and not just have a conversation, so dont put words in my mouth

6 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i dont know why you think i am ready to let them go, i would have to liquidate some assets to get the million. i am sure you will match me. funny a week ago mbm's suggested i was crazy for even suggesting we look at nil, today we need a million to keep our players. i think you just like to argue and not just have a conversation, so dont put words in my mouth

We aren't competing against the A10.  We are competing against all 350 teams.  Think this could happen?

"Hello Yuri, my name is Bill Laurie.  My wife, Nancy Walton Laurie, and I just wrote a check for $6,000,000 to buy out Coach Martin. Yes, my one check was it.  We now have a new coach, Coach Gates, and he r e a l l y could use a point guard of your capabilities.  I'm willing to get you an NIL of $100,000 for each season you spend in Columbia.  Your family is only 2 hours away from Columbia, so they can easily make all your games.  And heck, I bet I could find a 'new ride' for you that you can let your family use.  All you have to do is pose for a photo or two with my family for our Christmas cards and come to my daughter Paige's birthday party."

willie and cgeldmacher like this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Think this could happen?  We aren't competing against the A10.  We are competing against all 350 teams.

"Hello Yuri, my name is Bill Laurie.  My wife, Nancy Walton Laurie, and I just wrote a check for $6,000,000 to buy out Coach Martin. Yes, my one check was it.  We now have a new coach, Coach Gates, and he r e a l l y could use a point guard of your capabilities.  I'm willing to get you an NIL of $100,000 for each season you spend in Columbia.  Your family is only 2 hours away from Columbia, so they can easily make all your games.  And heck, I bet I could find a 'new ride' for you that you can let your family use.  All you have to do is pose for a photo or two with my family for our Christmas cards and come to my daughter Paige's birthday party."

of course it can, i said this all along, if someone wants to give millions the billikens can buy a team. my point is if we only have small amounts that where we start. something is better than nothing. so write your million dollar check and buy us some players

23 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

of course it can, i said this all along, if someone wants to give millions the billikens can buy a team. my point is if we only have small amounts that where we start. something is better than nothing. so write your million dollar check and buy us some players

Frankly I am not a fan of the NIL system as it appears to be evolving.  Exactly as you said 'buying collegiate players' goes against my grain.  Academics aren't even an afterthought in the NIL world.  I would rather my $100 go to a student who might make a contribution to society. 

We will be left with rooting for uniforms, which I will continue to do. 

billiken_roy and CBFan like this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Your post is scary I can see this happening.

Missouri could do that and so could Virginia with Jimerson.

Buying players will ruin college basketball forever.

11 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Your post is scary I can see this happening.

Missouri could do that and so could Virginia with Jimerson.

Buying players will ruin college basketball forever.

players at the blue bloods have always been paid, it will just be easier for them now, that said there are a limited number that are worth the big dollars,

rgbilliken likes this

18 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://illiniguardians.com/

Here is your template.  You need to be looking at a pot of $0.5 to 1.0 million if you want to compete with the big boys.  Read the website.  They are talking of buying another year of Cockburn for big bucks.

Thanks for sending, I think this is exactly what we need to get setup at SLU. Does anyone know if there are any folks already working on this?

NH likes this

On 3/23/2022 at 1:29 PM, TheChosenOne said:

I think the theory of this is likely the best approach. Basically Ford and the assistant coaches can go to the table with $200k over 4 years or whatever the dollar figures might be. If it is the next Jayson Tatum from St. Louis you certainly alter this approach trying to get additional $ from the base. I think the question I have is how do you get that $. I am less inclined to think many local companies would commit to giving $ expecting any sort of return on investment, but I also acknowledge business owners likely have more $, so educating them as well as other financial supporters of the program even down to season ticket holders on how the landscape is changing would certainly make sense. So I view it as another pot to throw $ into just like the new athletic facility. How do we make that happen? It is almost like creating a Billiken PAC. Someone needs to be making sure we are tracking what other programs are doing on this front and are thinking thru what approach we take. The $ folks have to be aware of this, right?

Sorry did not see this yesterday. The problem is twofold: 1. How to get the initial funds, and 2. How to maintain a fund base sufficient to continue offering the NILs despite fluctuations in the level of donations.

Ask yourself, if you start some athlete on a set amount you will have to deal with a lot of issues other than getting the guy into the team. If he is a great success do you up the amount? If he is not do you lower the amount? And most important of all, how do you keep a level of money in hand adequate to pay the commitments made with athletes?, donations alone are not likely to do this.

On 3/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, HoosierPal said:

We aren't competing against the A10.  We are competing against all 350 teams.  Think this could happen?

Probably have to go Paige’s homework too.

brianstl likes this

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

She would have to re-enroll. 

After watching Virginia's horrible lack of an outside shooter in the NIT, you can easily see them looking to land a VA native.

Blue font, it would sure be nice of SLU to be a farm team of the blue blood programs.

I am watching the portal with great concern however I will never underestimate what our coach can do recruiting in the portal as well.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Has anyone posted he committed to fgcu 

He’ll redefine “Dunk City.” Over/under on Markhi “Sports Center Top 10” appearances is 3.

6 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Has anyone posted he committed to fgcu 

Thank you for the update.

26 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I think he was just on a visit. Yesterday, he was at Louisiana-Monroe per his Instagram. 

I find it hard to believe he doesn’t have an offer from Kentucky or KU. At least Duke. Had he been allowed to play 25 mpg last year he’d have minimum a dozen high end P5 offers. Isn’t there a P5 school that runs and presses that just can’t pass up that athleticism? Heck it only takes a couple months to get a player up to speed in that system. Their athleticism will just take over after a few weeks

i think we better get TJ some NIL money Virginia is probably going to poach him add Markhi and switch to havoc

dennis_w and cgeldmacher like this

20 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Had he been allowed to play 25 mpg last year he’d have minimum a dozen high end P5 offers.

Finally skip gets it right.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I find it hard to believe he doesn’t have an offer from Kentucky or KU. At least Duke. Had he been allowed to play 25 mpg last year he’d have minimum a dozen high end P5 offers. Isn’t there a P5 school that runs and presses that just can’t pass up that athleticism? Heck it only takes a couple months to get a player up to speed in that system. Their athleticism will just take over after a few weeks

i think we better get TJ some NIL money Virginia is probably going to poach him add Markhi and switch to havoc

Uncle!!

10 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I think he was just on a visit. Yesterday, he was at Louisiana-Monroe per his Instagram. 

I just saw this. Putting on a jersey is really really confusing, seriously made it look like he committed to FGCU last week 🤪

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Markhi committed to Victoria College, a JUCO in Texas

Moving down to JUCO really surprised me. Huge disappointment for someone with so much talent but on the other hand he will be annihilating juco competition. Think it's just a one year stint to improve his prospects?