Markhi Strickland in the transfer portal

Jalen Johnson was a keeper I thought.  Miles Reynolds couldn't do anything but shoot free throws in his tenure here.  Both went to lower rated schools before going upwards.  So the premise ... that SLU players go downward .... seems true.  I don't know if Tulsa is an upgrade for Moore but I missed that one thinking he had gone to SIUE only.  Tanner Lancona is a great one however.  

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Jalen Johnson was a keeper I thought.  Miles Reynolds couldn't do anything but shoot free throws in his tenure here.  Both went to lower rated schools before going upwards.  So the premise ... that SLU players go downward .... seems true.  I don't know if Tulsa is an upgrade for Moore but I missed that one thinking he had gone to SIUE only.  Tanner Lancona is a great one however.  

You are correct. Moore ended up at SIU-E.

22 hours ago, slu72 said:

So our offense is called “run the clock”, and what are we running it for, a desperation shot at .03 on the clock? Jeez, we gotta come up with something better than that. 

You mean our offense that lead the A10 in points per game?  That offense?

https://atlantic10.com/stats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2021

Come on guys.  Can we get over this ridiculous misunderstanding of what actually happened this year?  I know you really, really want to hate on Ford, but facts are facts.   We did not have a good offense this year.  We had a great offense.  The numbers do not lie.

38 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Come on guys.  Can we get over this ridiculous misunderstanding of what actually happened this year?  I know you really, really want to hate on Ford, but facts are facts.   We did not have a good offense this year.  We had a great offense.  The numbers do not lie.

It’s strange.

I thought they played pretty fast this year too. 
The defense was the problem. 
I also think they went into run the clock offense to early multiple times.

15 minutes ago, dlarry said:

It’s strange.

I thought they played pretty fast this year too. 
The defense was the problem. 
I also think they went into run the clock offense to early multiple times.

We blew out average defensive teams and got exposed for being too Yuri-centric against good defensive teams .  Fortunately, Perkins doesn't need Yuri to create for him.  Neither does Parker.  We just need for him to get up to speed defensively.  I also expect Nesbitt to address the mid-range hole in his game.  An already potent offense can get even better.

Athletes vs basketball players.

Majerus teams routinely beat teams with better athletes.   His players were basketball players who were able to execute his game plan.   
  TF has athletes.  Some of them are basketball players.  They often struggle against teams with more/better basketball players.  
    Teams like Northern Iowa and Davidson have enough basketball players to offset SLU’s athleticism.    
    IMO, our coaching staff needs to do a better job at turning athletes into high level basketball players.  

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Thanks for providing that link.  Some conference team stats surprised me.  Looks like we need to work on our turnovers…. I know this is HUGE news to everyone.

28 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

Majerus teams routinely beat teams with better athletes.   His players were basketball players who were able to execute his game plan.   
  TF has athletes.  Some of them are basketball players.  They often struggle against teams with more/better basketball players.  
    Teams like Northern Iowa and Davidson have enough basketball players to offset SLU’s athleticism.    
    IMO, our coaching staff needs to do a better job at turning athletes into high level basketball players.  

If it was that simple maybe they come up with a cure for cancer. Ford is not RM equal very few are or have been. Expecting Ford or other coaches to be is not going to happen. Ford needs to figure what his strengths are and recruit and coach to it. 

Soderball likes this

24 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If it was that simple maybe they come up with a cure for cancer. Ford is not RM equal very few are or have been. Expecting Ford or other coaches to be is not going to happen. Ford needs to figure what his strengths are and recruit and coach to it. 

Ford has been coaching for 25 years. He is not going to change. 

50 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

They also lose to teams with better athletes. Memphis and Auburn being the two most obvious.

So maybe the problem has nothing to do with basketball players vs athletes and more to do with a combination of everything.

43 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Agree.

Every coach, player, and fan knows to win basketball games you need to defend and rebound. The problem is nobody alive knows how to teach defending and rebounding like Majerus.

Majerus was quiet possibly one of the top 10 basketball minds to ever walk the earth. He was the Elon Musk of basketball and spitting out Majerus clichés isn’t going to help anything.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We blew out average defensive teams and got exposed for being too Yuri-centric against good defensive teams .  Fortunately, Perkins doesn't need Yuri to create for him.  Neither does Parker.  We just need for him to get up to speed defensively.  I also expect Nesbitt to address the mid-range hole in his game.  An already potent offense can get even better.

I unfairly feel Nesbitt was a bit of a disappointment this season. I guess my expectations were too high.  His offensive consistency was lacking and their were games where he all but disappeared. How does he take that next step to improve his consistency. We need to count on a steady number of points and boards from him next year. 

willie and 2010andBeyond like this

I admire coaches that have systems that they seem to recruit to.  Bob McKillop.  Rick Majerus.  Nolan Richardson.  Chris Mooney.  Jay Wright.  Do we have a system?  I think that's the key.  

We may very well not have one.  Then we are scrambling every year to find our stud to play hero ball.  Bess. Isabell.  Goodwin.  Perkins.  Collins.  Maybe back to Perkins.  Maybe Nesbitt in waiting.  Not tto sure I'm a fan of that kind of system.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I unfairly feel Nesbitt was a bit of a disappointment this season. I guess my expectations were too high.  His offensive consistency was lacking and their were games where he all but disappeared. How does he take that next step to improve his consistency. We need to count on a steady number of points and boards from him next year. 

I think we were oversold as to what his impact would be, not by the coaching staff but the board . Is he athletically gifted  Absolutely . Is he the next Larry Hughes? Certainly not yet  Hopefully he can grow into our elevated expectations. 

HoosierPal likes this

8 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I admire coaches that have systems that they seem to recruit to.  Bob McKillop.  Rick Majerus.  Nolan Richardson.  Chris Mooney.  Jay Wright.  Do we have a system?  I think that's the key.  

We may very well not have one.  Then we are scrambling every year to find our stud to play hero ball.  Bess. Isabell.  Goodwin.  Perkins.  Collins.  Maybe back to Perkins.  Maybe Nesbitt in waiting.  Not tto sure I'm a fan of that kind of system.

You want to hire Mooney?

10 hours ago, SLUMS81 said:

If it was that easy everyone would do it. Ford recruits the best athletes and players he can and designs our games around them. McKillop and the like come into it expecting to play a certain way and play that way.

Frankly you see much more of the "get the best players you can" system and the best teams in the country recruit and play that way. Teams like Davidson and Richmond are outliers, not the rule. Richmond won with Gilyard going wild with 20-30 points in multiple games. Davidson just lost two in a row. We just had a 23 win season after our primary scoring threat got taken out, and lost an NIT game after our best player was out a few hours before tip-off.

Again, whatever guys. Tired out of date ideas. Ford is a good coach. We can find another good coach. I don't think a replacement we find would be worse than Ford, and I don't think Ford is the best coach ever. What I do think is we would be stuck watching mediocre basketball for a couple years while rebuilding under a new guy, and then watch similar results to what we have now. I'm only going to live so long and don't want tos spend years watching bottom of the barrel dregs basketball again. Ford is not going to do that. If we continue to have 20+ win seasons someone will eventually take him off our hands for us, I can assure you of that.

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

If it was that easy everyone would do it. Ford recruits the best athletes and players he can and designs our games around them. McKillop and the like come into it expecting to play a certain way and play that way.

Frankly you see much more of the "get the best players you can" system and the best teams in the country recruit and play that way. Teams like Davidson and Richmond are outliers, not the rule. Richmond won with Gilyard going wild with 20-30 points in multiple games. Davidson just lost two in a row. We just had a 23 win season after our primary scoring threat got taken out, and lost an NIT game after our best player was out a few hours before tip-off.

Again, whatever guys. Tired out of date ideas. Ford is a good coach. We can find another good coach. I don't think a replacement we find would be worse than Ford, and I don't think Ford is the best coach ever. What I do think is we would be stuck watching mediocre basketball for a couple years while rebuilding under a new guy, and then watch similar results to what we have now. I'm only going to live so long and don't want tos spend years watching bottom of the barrel dregs basketball again. Ford is not going to do that. If we continue to have 20+ win seasons someone will eventually take him off our hands for us, I can assure you of that.

Good post because the games and season are meaningful, plus the excitement of who is he going to sign plus and then the thrill of getting some of  those players.

I love attending games at Chaifetz with coach Ford’s teams they are entertaining.

You will never convince posters like the one above this post they are what they are and never post when Ford’s teams are playing well.

14 hours ago, SLUMS81 said:

Majerus had basketball players with enough mental basketball IQ to overcome what may be seen by the scouting services as a lack of physicality. Majerus took clay and molded it into works of art.

Ford, on the other hand, has been given the Louvre and turned it into a Super Wal Mart of turnovers and head scratching. 

I agree Ford recruits the best athletes he can get.   I disagree he designs the game plan around the players concerned skills.  

Imo that is the problem.   Square pegs in round hole planning and that imo is the biggest reason we blew see o many double digit leads this year.

If he wants to play like Davidson,then don't recruit hargrove, nesbitt, Strickland and traore like players.   We should have a team packed with jimmnerson and the point guard Collins (as opposed to the hero ball Collins)

thatskablamo and MB73 like this

Hiring a new coach is not a chutes and ladders slide back and wait 3-4 years while they get their guys anymore.  The change in transfer rules make it so you can turn over a roster quickly.  So a 3-4 year wait is now 1-2 years.

Majerus was great.  There are other coaches though.  I'll begrudgingly throw out Adams at TTU.  Dude has that team playing so hard and smart too.

Thoughts on Frank Martin?  Got USC(arolina) to the final 4 just 6 years ago.  A lot of success in the mid-west, only 55 years old?  Maybe he'll be available in a year.  Also sporting a new bald look and doing some TV during the tournament.  Put em' on your short-list May.