Markhi Strickland in the transfer portal

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

He doesn't have the needed skill set proficiency to play Ford's way.   If hargrove and Strickland and traore played in a run and gun with all over pressure defense, I think they'd all be fantastic.   But run the shot clock offense doesn't fit their skills

I think this is what I would really like our team to become, a "run and gun with all over pressure defense" rather than what we are now.

billiken_roy likes this

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

hargroves is obviously athletic but he doesnt handle the ball well other than dunks and threes he is not much of a scorer, has a high turnover rate, he doesnt have a lot of bb skills

ford sees strickland in practice everyday, they have cameras  that chart every shot so i suspect that ford doesnt think there are minutes to give because he is not good enough to take minutes from other players

Nonsense, we have mbm's that have 80 minutes over 15 games of watching him play. If mbm's think it's a miss because he's not playing it is a miss on Coach Ford's fault. Look if he's not getting at least 15 mpg by now he hasn't been properly "coached up" 

13 minutes ago, slu72 said:

So our offense is called “run the clock”, and what are we running it for, a desperation shot at .03 on the clock? Jeez, we gotta come up with something better than that. 

You gotta have somebody like Kwamain, Jett, Bess, or Perkins to play that way. Pitino always had a player like that and two spares in case of injury. SLU doesn't have that roster depth and it is tough to recruit a guy capable who is going to be getting backup minutes. It creates a paradox.

I'm not sure what tournament my fellow posters are watching, but I see a bunch of guards who can handle and pass, shooter/scorers who can get their own shot, stretch 4s who can rebound, and solid post players.  If you happen to be a high flyer, that's a plus.  But if you're a wing player and running/jumping is the strongest part of your game, you're a role player at best.  That's true even for the mid-majors.  Don't believe me, look at the tournament.

almaman and cgeldmacher like this

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm not sure what tournament my fellow posters are watching, but I see a bunch of guards who can handle and pass, shooter/scorers who can get their own shot, stretch 4s who can rebound, and solid post players.  If you happen to be a high flyer, that's a plus.  But if you're a wing player and running/jumping is the strongest part of your game, you're a role player at best.  That's true even for the mid-majors.  Don't believe me, look at the tournament.

True. But you seldom see a team full of quality athletes-and they’re all quality athletes in the tournament-walk the ball up the court, work the clock down to 5 seconds-and take a difficult shot. I saw the Bills follow this path way too often.

The first domino falls.  I will say I am not surprised.  I too wish Markhi well.  He seemed to show tremendous athleticism but short of dunking and one or two in-the-lane jumpers here and there, I didn't see a ton of basketball skills there overall.   But I recognize3 that is hard to see in just mop up minutes.  

Where can Markhi land?  I can see him excelling in a lower conference like the Atlantic Sun, American East, Big South, Colonial, Conference USA, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland and Sun Belt.  These I put up there as lower type conferences and leagues with schools that would suit his Florida prep routes.  Of course, his dad is Mark Strickland, who had a decent NBA career and played at Temple.  Are there connectiosn there for Markhi to take advantage of?  Don't know.  But Billiken transfers don't necessarily "trade up" when leaving SLU.  Who has left and to where?  Jacobs to Ball State.  Hankton to Chattanooga.  Yarbrough to Illinois State.  Reynolds to Pepperdine.  Bartley to Carbondale.  Moore to SIUE.  Jolley to oblivion.  Thompson to Lindenwood.  Russell to SEMO.  Clark to UTEP.  Johnson to Louisiana.  Mitchell to SIUE.  Maguire to Northern Kentucky.  Jon Smith to Ohio.    Justin Johnson to Purdue-Fort Wayne.  Salescich to SIUE.  Glaze to Grand Canyon.  McBroom to Eastern Washington.  Gillman with Jolley.  Bishop to Norfolk State.  Neufeld to UC-Davis.  And Carte'are Gordon to infinisty and beyond!  About the only upgrade was Marcus Relaphorde to Colordao.  So history says going upward sis likely not an option.

Yes, Markhi was likely the most dynamic dunker I have ever seen on Billiken Blue.  But even with all that thleticism, he was buried on the bench for a reason.  And we don't know that exact reason.  I won't speculate on just who is next but there will be more.  I can see three, maybe four, taking the portal route.  This is just the beginning.  What really scares me is if some of the 'rocks' on this team optout as well.  Then we'll have some real problems.

40 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Star U are a good knowledgeable poster but U are hung up on what is a mid- major. The tournament every year shows how these mid majors can play with the big boys. The difference is depth. The big boys have more good players but there good players at the Chattanooga’s in the world. 

5 hours ago, ACE said:

There goes the best dunker this program has ever seen... that being said, this is not surprising and I don't think he had much of a role going forward. In today's game, if you haven't cracked the rotation by the end of your sophomore year and you don't have a clear path for meaningful playing time heading into the next year, you're likely leaving.  I expect at least two more to leave.

He missed both dunks against UNI.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

He doesn't have the needed skill set proficiency to play Ford's way.   If hargrove and Strickland and traore played in a run and gun with all over pressure defense, I think they'd all be fantastic.   But run the shot clock offense doesn't fit their skills

What have you been watching? haha.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

The first domino falls.  I will say I am not surprised.  I too wish Markhi well.  He seemed to show tremendous athleticism but short of dunking and one or two in-the-lane jumpers here and there, I didn't see a ton of basketball skills there overall.   But I recognize3 that is hard to see in just mop up minutes.  

Where can Markhi land?  I can see him excelling in a lower conference like the Atlantic Sun, American East, Big South, Colonial, Conference USA, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland and Sun Belt.  These I put up there as lower type conferences and leagues with schools that would suit his Florida prep routes.  Of course, his dad is Mark Strickland, who had a decent NBA career and played at Temple.  Are there connectiosn there for Markhi to take advantage of?  Don't know.  But Billiken transfers don't necessarily "trade up" when leaving SLU.  Who has left and to where?  Jacobs to Ball State.  Hankton to Chattanooga.  Yarbrough to Illinois State.  Reynolds to Pepperdine.  Bartley to Carbondale.  Moore to SIUE.  Jolley to oblivion.  Thompson to Lindenwood.  Russell to SEMO.  Clark to UTEP.  Johnson to Louisiana.  Mitchell to SIUE.  Maguire to Northern Kentucky.  Jon Smith to Ohio.    Justin Johnson to Purdue-Fort Wayne.  Salescich to SIUE.  Glaze to Grand Canyon.  McBroom to Eastern Washington.  Gillman with Jolley.  Bishop to Norfolk State.  Neufeld to UC-Davis.  And Carte'are Gordon to infinisty and beyond!  About the only upgrade was Marcus Relaphorde to Colordao.  So history says going upward sis likely not an option.

Yes, Markhi was likely the most dynamic dunker I have ever seen on Billiken Blue.  But even with all that thleticism, he was buried on the bench for a reason.  And we don't know that exact reason.  I won't speculate on just who is next but there will be more.  I can see three, maybe four, taking the portal route.  This is just the beginning.  What really scares me is if some of the 'rocks' on this team optout as well.  Then we'll have some real problems.

Pretty likely. a few players transferring each year is the norm, not the exception. Strickland wants more playing time. He didn't get up the bench because he missed defensive assignments. Maybe that's Ford's fault, but that is why.

2 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Pretty likely. a few players transferring each year is the norm, not the exception. Strickland wants more playing time. He didn't get up the bench because he missed defensive assignments. Maybe that's Ford's fault, but that is why.

Missed defensive assignments and was extremely limited offensively. 
Not a god combination for getting off the bench. 

For some reason people think athleticism = basketball ability. That’s not always the case.

bauman likes this

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Missed defensive assignments and was extremely limited offensively. 
Not a god combination for getting off the bench. 

For some reason people think athleticism = basketball ability. That’s not always the case.

Exactly. Especially with the transfer portal now being a thing, the key factor in multi-season success is to be able to keep rotating through guys that can play. I'm confident we have more coming that will be able to play, particularly if we are bringing back Collins and Perkins. Biggest issue I've seen is not whatever the heck Roy is talking about, but that we don't have a viable guy with the "it" factor to replace Collins and lead the team. We don't have enough guys that can handle and distribute the ball, too many that are looking for the ball to be distributed.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

I think this is what I would really like our team to become, a "run and gun with all over pressure defense" rather than what we are now.

Foul. Violates first rule of basketball:

To Win:

1. Defend

2. Rebound

I watched us beat VCU this year. Whatever man.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

And teams that don’t turn the ball over… 

AF89C8B3-A767-4F8E-9FD5-A0569E33E641.gif

Soderball and Young Charles like this

39 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Foul. Violates first rule of basketball:

To Win:

1. Defend

2. Rebound

I watched us beat VCU this year. Whatever man.

It is true that we have beaten VCU many times, but open your eyes, they are still playing in the NIT and we are out.

15 minutes ago, Old guy said:

It is true that we have beaten VCU many times, but open your eyes, they are still playing in the NIT and we are out.

Well you can say the same thing for the KY program. It is dicey to make these kind of comparisons. Different teams playing, teams have streaks both ways, and stuff happens so to speak. Winning games is as much a match up thing as not.  I am not making excuses just pointing out that there are lots of variables that can create a win or loss.  Is the VCU coach a better coach today because he won then when he loss to us?  Of course not.  Every situation is different.

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well you can say the same thing for the KY program. It is dicey to make these kind of comparisons. Different teams playing, teams have streaks both ways, and stuff happens so to speak. Winning games is as much a match up thing as not.  I am not making excuses just pointing out that there are lots of variables that can create a win or loss.  Is the VCU coach a better coach today because he won then when he loss to us?  Of course not.  Every situation is different.

Absolutely true but we have voids in our defense which are obvious to at least some of our opponents. When that happens and our defense is not working it might be advisable to go all out on the offense instead of what we did. Defend, Rebound worked very well for Majerus, but it is not the answer, or not the full answer, for Ford.

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Maybe those upper level coaches did not like what TF was producing in lacking fundamentals.

Miles Reynolds went on to Oklahoma and Jalen Johnson went to Mississippi State. But they had to go as a grad transfer. We did let some good ones get away.

7 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Maybe those upper level coaches did not like what TF was producing in lacking fundamentals.

Miles Reynolds went on to Oklahoma and Jalen Johnson went to Mississippi State. But they had to go as a grad transfer. We did let some good ones get away.

Neither of those player went to neither of those schools from here. 

they both went to lesser programs to showcase 

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

But Billiken transfers don't necessarily "trade up" when leaving SLU.  Who has left and to where?  Jacobs to Ball State.  Hankton to Chattanooga.  Yarbrough to Illinois State.  Reynolds to Pepperdine.  Bartley to Carbondale.  Moore to SIUE.  Jolley to oblivion.  Thompson to Lindenwood.  Russell to SEMO.  Clark to UTEP.  Johnson to Louisiana.  Mitchell to SIUE.  Maguire to Northern Kentucky.  Jon Smith to Ohio.    Justin Johnson to Purdue-Fort Wayne.  Salescich to SIUE.  Glaze to Grand Canyon.  McBroom to Eastern Washington.  Gillman with Jolley.  Bishop to Norfolk State.  Neufeld to UC-Davis.  And Carte'are Gordon to infinisty and beyond!  About the only upgrade was Marcus Relaphorde to Colordao.  So history says going upward sis likely not an option.

Ice cold not mentioning Tanner Lancona going to Point Loma Nazarene. Zeke Moore going to Tulsa was a solid transfer.

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

Neither of those player went to neither of those schools from here. 

they both went to lesser programs to showcase 

My point. Both made contributions at that level. Leaving from here is tough to get an upgrade. Both of those I wished stayed.