Markhi Strickland in the transfer portal

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Lol

I don’t think it’s a big loss but that’s not a fair comparison.

No, but it was a reply to the statement that his 20 minutes against UNI was a basis for him playing over TJ, so in that context it is fair. He wasn't good against UNI and was less productive than TJ is on average. 

I appreciate Markhi and initially thought he had potential but his moving on is good for him and it's good for SLU. He seems like a great guy that needs a different opportunity just like he said. I wish him the best. 

Bizziken likes this

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

No, but it was a reply to the statement that his 20 minutes against UNI was a basis for him playing over TJ, so in that context it is fair. He wasn't good against UNI and was less productive than TJ is on average. 

I appreciate Markhi and initially thought he had potential but his moving on is good for him and it's good for SLU. He seems like a great guy that needs a different opportunity just like he said. I wish him the best. 

Ok, I can get behind that.

I completely agree with the second part of your post.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see him pop up on some ESPN top 10s posterizing some poor guy in the MEAC. 

23 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i have said that multiple times, the rules about scholarship numbers are easy to find, i am glad chapley agrees with me

I missed your post I need to pay attention and I would have known.  Happy Friday 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Do you think he got minutes in the last game hoping he might stay? 

I was thinking this during the game.

Travis was also very positive/encouraging to him whenever he came out of the game on Wednesday.

I really wish Markhi the best & I do think he has potential to flourish at the right level & in the right system.

On the flip side - there are some valid reasons to be critical of Travis Ford, but a guy who is likely 9th or 10th on the depth chart transferring is not one of them.

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

sorry, didnt mean to sound like a smart ass, but i guess i did

All good it made me laugh and I got a chance to be silly.

Be well.

There goes the best dunker this program has ever seen... that being said, this is not surprising and I don't think he had much of a role going forward. In today's game, if you haven't cracked the rotation by the end of your sophomore year and you don't have a clear path for meaningful playing time heading into the next year, you're likely leaving.  I expect at least two more to leave.

52 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I was thinking this during the game.

Travis was also very positive/encouraging to him whenever he came out of the game on Wednesday.

Looking at it now, was Travis doing him a favor knowing that he would be in the transfer portal?  He gave him some minutes to show potential teams what he could do in a post season game, and Markhi responded positively.  He will do well on a team built to utilize his talents.

28 minutes ago, ACE said:

There goes the best dunker this program has ever seen... that being said, this is not surprising and I don't think he had much of a role going forward. In today's game, if you haven't cracked the rotation by the end of your sophomore year and you don't have a clear path for meaningful playing time heading into the next year, you're likely leaving.  I expect at least two more to leave.

I will take Hasahn French as a superior dunker. He actually made 95% of his dunks. No matter the degree of difficulty or height, a dunk is only 2 points. It seemed Strickland missed about half his dunk attempts (which is the highest percentage shot there is).

Hopefully he catches on with an Atlantic Sun team. I feel that would be a better conference for Markhi.

Wish him the best.  But I think this is one we all saw coming.  I’m expecting at least 2 more to go with him.  A question for those more knowledgeable.  Where does he wind up conference wise.  What’s a good level where he’ll have a impact or get meaningful minutes?

30 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Wish him the best.  But I think this is one we all saw coming.  I’m expecting at least 2 more to go with him.  A question for those more knowledgeable.  Where does he wind up conference wise.  What’s a good level where he’ll have a impact or get meaningful minutes?

I'm guessing Lorentssen and TJ. I hope TJ doesn't go, though.

27 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

I'm guessing Lorentssen and TJ. I hope TJ doesn't go, though.

personally i think hargrove and strickland are pretty much the same players.  imo both could be very good on teams that play fast and agressive 40 minutes a game.   we dont. the billikens are a horrible match for both.  

hargroves is obviously athletic but he doesnt handle the ball well other than dunks and threes he is not much of a scorer, has a high turnover rate, he doesnt have a lot of bb skills

ford sees strickland in practice everyday, they have cameras  that chart every shot so i suspect that ford doesnt think there are minutes to give because he is not good enough to take minutes from other players

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

Hard to say he obviously has some talent and some skill and coming out of Victory Rock Prep he had offers from: Georgia, LSU, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Loyola-Marymount, and New Mexico State but apparently the biggest question about him was motor so that may explain why he didn't play much at SLU.

I really liked Markhi. He has shown he is very athletic, but I think he struggled defensively and is too turnover prone to break into the regular rotation any time soon at SLU, especially if Javonte returns. I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors and assume he will be able to contribute successfully somewhere at the D1 level. I will be rooting for him wherever he lands! 

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

hargroves is obviously athletic but he doesnt handle the ball well other than dunks and threes he is not much of a scorer, has a high turnover rate, he doesnt have a lot of bb skills

ford sees strickland in practice everyday, they have cameras  that chart every shot so i suspect that ford doesnt think there are minutes to give because he is not good enough to take minutes from other players

He doesn't have the needed skill set proficiency to play Ford's way.   If hargrove and Strickland and traore played in a run and gun with all over pressure defense, I think they'd all be fantastic.   But run the shot clock offense doesn't fit their skills

Young Charles likes this

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

He doesn't have the needed skill set proficiency to play Ford's way.   If hargrove and Strickland and traore played in a run and gun with all over pressure defense, I think they'd all be fantastic.   But run the shot clock offense doesn't fit their skills

I agree completely.