Lisa Stone is out as head coach.

wgstl

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To some degree the Men's and Women's programs are on a similar path.  No NCAA tournaments and recruiting that has leveled off, as of what we know right now.  Neither program appears to be moving in an upward direction. 

Lisa is losing her star with no replacement in sight..The NCAA for her is not on the horizon.  The best St Louis players continue to reject SLU and there is no Jackie K. is sight

Travis has only one hope to have a better team next year and that is JP returning.  Even then, with his known recruits, I think a NCAA trip is less than a 50/50 possibility.  He is losing a key back up at the 5 spot and a nice 10-15 minute PG.   He has limited his incoming recruiting class to two positions, SG and SF when what we need is a back up PG and a big to fill the role of ML.  I don't envision any of our 3 incoming signed recruits as adding anything other than depth next year.  For all the hard work that Travis and his staff have done in working to recruit the top local players, it just has not been at the level of a few years ago. 

In a nutshell, both programs have reached a plateau with not much upside in sight.  TF's plateau (20+ wins/year) is at a higher level than Lisa's was but nonetheless, if improvement over 4 to 6 years ago is the goal than neither has accomplished that goal, nor does it look likely for next season.  I don't think Travis is, or should be, on the hot seat given multiple 20+ year winning seasons, but we need to return to the time when we could sign the Goodwin's and Yuri's of the area.

10 minutes ago, bauman said:

To some degree the Men's and Women's programs are on a similar path.  No NCAA tournaments and recruiting that has leveled off, as of what we know right now.  Neither program appears to be moving in an upward direction. 

Lisa is losing her star with no replacement in sight..The NCAA for her is not on the horizon.  The best St Louis players continue to reject SLU and there is no Jackie K. is sight

Travis has only one hope to have a better team next year and that is JP returning.  Even then, with his known recruits, I think a NCAA trip is less than a 50/50 possibility.  He is losing a key back up at the 5 spot and a nice 10-15 minute PG.   He has limited his incoming recruiting class to two positions, SG and SF when what we need is a back up PG and a big to fill the role of ML.  I don't envision any of our 3 incoming signed recruits as adding anything other than depth next year.  For all the hard work that Travis and his staff have done in working to recruit the top local players, it just has not been at the level of a few years ago. 

In a nutshell, both programs have reached a plateau with not much upside in sight.  TF's plateau (20+ wins/year) is at a higher level than Lisa's was but nonetheless, if improvement over 4 to 6 years ago is the goal than neither has accomplished that goal, nor does it look likely for next season.  I don't think Travis is, or should be, on the hot seat given multiple 20+ year winning seasons, but we need to return to the time when we could sign the Goodwin's and Yuri's of the area.

I'll put the Willie guarantee on this. If JP comes back and we don't have major defections this team will dance. 

41 minutes ago, willie said:

I'll put the Willie guarantee on this. If JP comes back and we don't have major defections this team will dance. 

I hope you are right.  The most helpful thing in reaching that goal is the talent that is leaving some of the top teams in the A 10-like SBU and Richmond.

3 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Perhaps when we see a tweet similar to the one he sent on CLS!

10 years ( 0 NCAA ) 

6 years ( 1 NCAA )

I'm one of the Biggest supporters of Coach Ford but you aren't comparing similar scenario's. If we get to 10 years and we haven't been to the tourney another couple of times and don't look primed for appearances at least 50% of the time, I'll be supporting a change also. 

However, Coach Ford took over a program that was at it's worst since I've been a fan ( 30 years ) so it took him a couple of years to gain traction. He then had a team hit harder with Covid than any of the other 350+ NCAA Div 1 teams. The next year we lose an A10 1st team performer who was rated by the Athletic as the 13th best wing in the country during our exhibition game. Imo those are reasons, not excuses.  So overall, I think he's done a good job, and has the team primed for future better results, If those don't come .... the time to change will come

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

10 years ( 0 NCAA ) 

6 years ( 1 NCAA )

I'm one of the Biggest supporters of Coach Ford but you aren't comparing similar scenario's. If we get to 10 years and we haven't been to the tourney another couple of times and don't look primed for appearances at least 50% of the time, I'll be supporting a change also. 

However, Coach Ford took over a program that was at it's worst since I've been a fan ( 30 years ) so it took him a couple of years to gain traction. He then had a team hit harder with Covid than any of the other 350+ NCAA Div 1 teams. The next year we lose an A10 1st team performer who was rated by the Athletic as the 13th best wing in the country during our exhibition game. Imo those are reasons, not excuses.  So overall, I think he's done a good job, and has the team primed for future better results, If those don't come .... the time to change will come

Yes, Ford won't even get 10 years. If we don't have at least 1 more tournament game by the end of year 8, there will be no year 9 or 10.

slufanskip likes this

16 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

10 years ( 0 NCAA ) 

6 years ( 1 NCAA )

Felt like I need to respond to this...thanks for being a fan for 30 years but I got you beat there. I graduated from SLU more than 50 years ago and I was a fan of the Bills years before then. While I don't live in St. Louis I do closely follow the basketball program so I know all about Ford's past. When I did live in St. Louis I was a season ticket holder. Saw some good, mediocre, and plain bad HC's during the years I have been a fan. One major thing has happened for SLU basketball and it surprised me when it did...Chaifetz Arena which was a huge move by the SLU Administration. I think it is an excellent basketball venue and trust me I've been to a lot of others that aren't as nice. Since SLU made this huge commitment that is why who is representing them as the Mens Basketball HC I super important. It's the primary revenue sport. While I don't expect the current AD will fire CTF he should be at least on notice that the success of the program is key moving forward. IMHO no way should he get 10 years if we don't start seeing NCAA Tourney invites. Not when Mens Basketball is the primary revenue sport.

slufanskip and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Having JP return next year is not the only hope that Travis has of having next year’s team be better than this year’s.  Relax, sit back and watch both sides of the transfer portal.  In September you will be able to make a valid comparison of next year’s team with this year’s.

10 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Felt like I need to respond to this...thanks for being a fan for 30 years but I got you beat there. I graduated from SLU more than 50 years ago and I was a fan of the Bills years before then. While I don't live in St. Louis I do closely follow the basketball program so I know all about Ford's past. When I did live in St. Louis I was a season ticket holder. Saw some good, mediocre, and plain bad HC's during the years I have been a fan. One major thing has happened for SLU basketball and it surprised me when it did...Chaifetz Arena which was a huge move by the SLU Administration. I think it is an excellent basketball venue and trust me I've been to a lot of others that aren't as nice. Since SLU made this huge commitment that is why who is representing them as the Mens Basketball HC I super important. It's the primary revenue sport. While I don't expect the current AD will fire CTF he should be at least on notice that the success of the program is key moving forward. IMHO no way should he get 10 years if we don't start seeing NCAA Tourney invites. Not when Mens Basketball is the primary revenue sport.

I know how long you've been a fan and appreciate that. Had we not had 2 pretty devastating scenario's the last couple of years, I'd probably be closer to on the same page. However, we did and very few mid major programs could have overcome our Covid issues and the loss of a player of Javonte's caliber. I truly believe without either of those 2 issues we would have been dancing both of those years. 

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I know how long you've been a fan and appreciate that. Had we not had 2 pretty devastating scenario's the last couple of years, I'd probably be closer to on the same page. However, we did and very few mid major programs could have overcome our Covid issues and the loss of a player of Javonte's caliber. I truly believe without either of those 2 issues we would have been dancing both of those years. 

And let's not forget about the multiple suspensions from Sit 2. Had they not happened I'm sure we would of been even more competitive during his first few years here. 

Ya I know it sucks cause they sound like excuses. But you have to be able to sit down and logically look at the whole picture. And ya I know we aren't the only team to have bad breaks but come on now. 

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I think you can add the 2019/2020 season that got ended with COVID when the team won 5 straight and I thought was dialed in to win the A10 tournament.  There were some big wins in that streak against at Rhode Island, The Bonnies and VCU.

As you said these are not excuses they are issues coach Ford and the team has dealt with.

Fans that do not like coach Ford call them excuses and never mention in 2019/2020 the A10 tournament and big dance was canceled but still count the year against coach Ford's record.

I was upset about the last 2 games this season but I have moved on and agree with your feelings and opinions about coach Ford.

Billikenfan , Smesko would be a grand slam, but can't see him coming to SLU.  He was offered the USC job last year and turned it down, and withdrew is name from Illinois comsideration couple of season's ago..

FGCU got underseeded again this year

A Smesko light hire might be Chelsea Branbury at High Point, think she uses that Reigning 3's style as well ( Former FGCU player and coach there)

9 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think you can add the 2019/2020 season that got ended with COVID when the team won 5 straight and I thought was dialed in to win the A10 tournament.  There were some big wins in that streak against at Rhode Island, The Bonnies and VCU.

As you said these are not excuses they are issues coach Ford and the team has dealt with.

Fans that do not like coach Ford call them excuses and never mention in 2019/2020 the A10 tournament and big dance was canceled but still count the year against coach Ford's record.

I was upset about the last 2 games this season but I have moved on and agree with your feelings and opinions about coach Ford.

I will give him credit for how well the team was playing going into the cancelled postseason...that team was peaking at the right time.

Don't get me started on last year...I can't be super productive discussing it. 

Coach Stone did a lot to make the program relevant, but there's always a ways to go. 

CBFan likes this

I must assume that May was sending a message to Ford when he fired Lisa Stone. Whether Ford gets the message or not remains to be seen. Both May and Stone are very good in public, nice persons to deal with, and can recruit (not entirely sure about Stone). The message clearly states that more is required.

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Adding up everything that has happened this year, in hindsight this should have been easy to see. Program had plateaued and been struggling to break through that ceiling, Champion Center announced, MST injury, brutal season, more injuries, Ciaja and MST announcing they wouldn't try to play another year here. The cornerstones are gone, improvements to chaifetz being made, the timing is right to make a change even if, as I believe, I think she could have been easily given one more year.

My best guess for Kent Miller is that he really has made an art form out of finishing 3rd every season(filling a grand canyon size gap in talent between 2 and 4) which appears to be good enough for May. He literally has finished 3rd in 7 of his 10 seasons.

This, and the fact two starters transferred out last year - giving WBB four starters total who left rather than stay with program.  Something is just “off.”

And Travis has yet to lose a starter to the portal.  

I like how we give Ford multiple passes but Stone doesn't get any.

Trainwreck, non entity, irrelevant, intramural, dumpster fire.  This is what Stone came into.  She built the program from scratch.  She's the women's version of Rich Grawer, but a much better coach.

Stone's staff turnover has been ridiculous.  She has no operating budget.  Her staff budget has gone up 10% in 10 years.  This leads to player morale low, which leads to transfers and player development issues.

May making those statements today is ridiculous.  He better pony up the cash.  A coach with a better pedigree than Stone is coaching for a BCS school and making 700k-1mil per year with Assts making 150k-200k.   Our budgets are now where near that.  His statements reminded me of empty Biondi posturing.

Tall task to find a coach better than Stone who would coach for SLU.  Good luck Chris.  I hope he makes a Majerus hire, or even a Ford but I think it will be a Soderberg if we are lucky.

In this case if we financed our program at a BCS level, we'd win.  Our budgets are middle of the road A10 and our results on the floor match them.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Trainwreck, non entity, irrelevant, intramural, dumpster fire.  This is what Stone came into.  She built the program from scratch.  She's the women's version of Rich Grawer, but a much better coach.

Stone's staff turnover has been ridiculous.  She has no operating budget.  Her staff budget has gone up 10% in 10 years.  This leads to player morale low, which leads to transfers and player development issues.

May making those statements today is ridiculous.  He better pony up the cash.  A coach with a better pedigree than Stone is coaching for a BCS school and making 700k-1mil per year with Assts making 150k-200k.   Our budgets are now where near that.  His statements reminded me of empty Biondi posturing.

Tall task to find a coach better than Stone who would coach for SLU.  Good luck Chris.  I hope he makes a Majerus hire, or even a Ford but I think it will be a Soderberg if we are lucky.

In this case if we financed our program at a BCS level, we'd win.  Our budgets are middle of the road A10 and our results on the floor match them.

My sentiments exactly, Torch. You're more eloquent than I am, plus this news bummed me out too much to be objective today, so any lengthy post I made would have been rambling.

15 minutes ago, thetorch said:

If what you write about our budget is correct, I’d say overall our results have exceeded our budget. 

I'm a fan and not close enough to know if our budget for basketball does not match the brick and mortar commitment aka Chaifetz Arena our administration made what about a decade ago. It's been reported Travis Ford makes somewhere in the $2.5M range and I'd guess he is one of the highest paid HC's in the A-10. Don't know what his Assts make. I don't follow women's program so have no idea of the budget there. Didn't they announce a big addition the SLU Administration is making to the Chaifetz Building. Since I don't live in the Lou any longer someone else with some knowledge should fill us in on any budgetary short comings for SLU Sports.