Lisa Stone is out as head coach.

wgstl

I'd be surprised if ND didn't make the Final Four next year, her 3rd as HC. They were a few seconds from the Elite 8 this year.

They return every major contributor, (Dodson is getting a waiver) and they add KK Bransford. Niele is going to win very big there, just as she did as an assistant coach, and as a player.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think she's only 29.  That's probably the right level.

When the press release came out that announced Coach Stone's firing, no timeline was given for hiring a coach.  Makes me think that the coaches they were pursuing were still in the tournament.

She's 39. HS class of 2001, college 2005. My age/class.

I would have thought that May would have had someone hired by now.  They didn't have the transfer portal back when Lisa Stone was hired, after all. I couldn't find where any of the current team has decided to go this year in the transfer portal, but clearly players know where to go if they want to.  Have any of commitments for next year backed out yet?  If you want to build on whats there and improve things, not watch it backslide, you can't take forever on this hire these days, its too easy to lose players.  It would be nice to have an exciting team that put more people in seats.  It was pretty empty this year most games...

I was excited about the possibility of Durrett coming to SLU from Texas.  She's been Associate Head Coach for Vic Schaeffer who has done so well at Miss St and UT only getting beat in the Elite 8 by the defending national champion in a really terribly officiated game.  Really good pick up for the Roos in my opinion.  

Who else is out there?  

Random WBB thought remember back when Wash U had that unbeaten run in the 90s?  Coulda' hired that coach at SLU back in the day.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Last time they hired Stone it took for Fing ever.  May is very deliberate.

I'm just frickin' worried about who they get and I want to know soon. I really liked Coach Stone and maybe had rose colored glasses in thinking she'd be here for a while longer.

33 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I was excited about the possibility of Durrett coming to SLU from Texas.  She's been Associate Head Coach for Vic Schaeffer who has done so well at Miss St and UT only getting beat in the Elite 8 by the defending national champion in a really terribly officiated game.  Really good pick up for the Roos in my opinion.  

Who else is out there?  

Random WBB thought remember back when Wash U had that unbeaten run in the 90s?  Coulda' hired that coach at SLU back in the day.

She turned us down. Twice i think.

She sucked at Illinois.

BuiltFordBills likes this

One of the interesting hires the other day was Beth Cunningham to Missouri State

Former Notre Dame player and VCU HC. She had a consistent WNIT level team there over several years. She left to be an assistant at Notre Dame.She wasn’t (obviously) going to get hired as Head Coach there over Ivey.

When Niele Ivey became Notre Dame’s HC, Ivey kept assistants Owens and Mabrey, but also brought back Washington as an assistant. Ivey is close with all three. 

Cunningham went to Duke as an assistant for Kara Lawson for a couple of seasons before getting hired as HC at Missouri State.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

I thought Brooke Flowers was coming back? I did see Natalie McNeal entered the portal.  With Brooke back, I think this team still bottom half of the A10 next year. Without her and Natalie, somewhere in the bottom 3 or 4.

I didn't see Natalie enter the portal. We literally have no one but Brooke next year who has played consistently. Kylie Bess maybe, but otherwise...

16 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Or at this point are they looking at a D2 coach who wants to move up to D1?  Maybe Amy Eagan at Drury? She was voted D2 Coach of the year last year.  

Inheriting a 32-0 team is good if you can get it. But she had some turnover and still did very well. 

In all seriousness, her ability to build at Truman State and get them to their first NCAA Tourney in almost a half a century stands out quite a bit. She is a good coach. She just doesn’t have the experience at a higher level yet.

18 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Obviously there has been some movement with some of these since this piece.

SLU has had to decide if they want to do attract a Carla Morrow, who checks a lot of boxes of successful experience in WNBA, Power 5, A-10, regional experience, or entice a successful mid major coach such as Bart Brooks. Either way it will take a commitment to winning and being successful.

My understanding is SLU has a coach and they will make an announcement soon. 

31 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Team was a bit of a husk for the past 12 months

I'd gently push back and say we could have been top half of the A10 if we weren't plagued by injury the entire season. A healthy for the whole season Ciaja, MST, Brooke, Kylie Bess, and Natalie McNeal wouldn't be winning the titles, but they'd put up respectable numbers.

A10Ref likes this