2022 NCAA Tournament Games - GDT

MSU beats Davidson by 1.

The refs screwed Davidson out of a possession and gave MSU 2 free throws.

Who says refs can’t decide games?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, CBFan said:

MSU beats Davidson by 1.

Definitely, a poorly officiated NCAA Tourney game, but having said that MSU for the most part did a good job on the defensive end. So much better than what saw in the Bills two games.

7 hours ago, CBFan said:

MSU beats Davidson by 1.

doesnt surprise me that the blue bloods f'd davidson.   i expected it.

8 hours ago, Schasz said:

Definitely, a poorly officiated NCAA Tourney game, but having said that MSU for the most part did a good job on the defensive end. So much better than what saw in the Bills two games.

Perfectly said about the defense I thought the same thing when I was watching.

Even with the defense Davidson can shoot and should have won had MSU not been awarded 2 free throws they should not have had plus the possession that was taken away from them by the steal.

There was a questionable call the possession before after another inbound steal but Lee’s arm position looked like he could have fouled.

I saw McKilop lose his cool and I heard Izzo after the game saying he did not deserve any praise for the win telling me he knew.

lets not forget the blown goal tend in the first half.   davidson f'd throughout.   they were going to make sure a precious blue blood big ten team got through so they can have their precious duke vs mich st tomorrow.   makes me puke.   i will not watch that game.   i would watch a johnny wiesmuller tarzan on TCM before i watched duke vs mich st sunday.  the cheating by the ncaa is infuriating. 

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

lets not forget the blown goal tend in the first half.   davidson f'd throughout.   they were going to make sure a precious blue blood big ten team got through so they can have their precious duke vs mich st tomorrow.   makes me puke.   i will not watch that game.   i would watch a johnny wiesmuller tarzan on TCM before i watched duke vs mich st sunday.  the cheating by the ncaa is infuriating. 

OMG Roy the Johnny Wiesmuller reference was great for folks like me that watched those old movies when I was kid.

I do enjoy the TMC channel.

I never thought of the why Izzo would be helped out with the refs blatant bad calls but it makes sense since you mentioned it and I will not watch that game either.

cbfan, i think you and i would be good fan partners.   beit billikens, TMC, or just about anything.  😄

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Perfectly said about the defense I thought the same thing when I was watching.

Even with the defense Davidson can shoot and should have won had MSU not been awarded 2 free throws they should not have had plus the possession that was taken away from them by the steal.

There was a questionable call the possession before after another inbound steal but Lee’s arm position looked like he could have fouled.

I saw McKilop lose his cool and I heard Izzo after the game saying he did not deserve any praise for the win telling me he knew.

The worst was the Michigan State possession that started with 2:15 left, MSU up 5 & not yet in the bonus.   Davidson got called for 4 fouls on the 1 possession and each time MSU was able to bleed more time off the clock until they finally got to the bonus & made 2 FTs.  There was no terrible calls, but were some cheapie foul calls in there for a game the refs mostly let them play the first 38 minutes.  It will go unnoticed & not talked about much because none of he calls were egregiously bad & a ton of stuff happened after that.  Ultimately the game went from MSU up 5 with 2:15 left & not in the bonus to MSU up 7 with 1:15 & in the bonus in that single possession.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

If the NBA was on channel five and a bunch of frogs making love were on channel four, I’d watch the frogs, even if they were coming in fuzzy

-Bob Knight

AnkielBreakers likes this

Not sure who was guarding MSU's Joey Hauser but he torched Davidson for 27.  Davidson had an OK 3 point % as they shot 40%, but Loyer the former MSU player was 1 for 5. I do a lot of switching on NCAA games but I'm sure I'll catch some of the MSU-Duke game.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

The worst was the Michigan State possession that started with 2:15 left, MSU up 5 & not yet in the bonus.   Davidson got called for 4 fouls on the 1 possession and each time MSU was able to bleed more time off the clock until they finally got to the bonus & made 2 FTs.  There was no terrible calls, but were some cheapie foul calls in there for a game the refs mostly let them play the first 38 minutes.  It will go unnoticed & not talked about much because none of he calls were egregiously bad & a ton of stuff happened after that.  Ultimately the game went from MSU up 5 with 2:15 left & not in the bonus to MSU up 7 with 1:15 & in the bonus in that single possession.

FFS, those were "intentional" fouls so they could put State on the line. Their eff-up was letting so much time bleed between fouls. And I think that was why McKillop looked so annoyed on the bench.

11 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

FFS, those were "intentional" fouls so they could put State on the line. Their eff-up was letting so much time bleed between fouls. And I think that was why McKillop looked so annoyed on the bench.

What?  Did you watch the game?  They most certainly were NOT intentional fouls.

Here is the play by play (per ESPN I think some of this is slightly off see below, but the point remains):

2:15 - Foster Loyer missed 3pt jumper

2:15 - MSU defensive rebound (Loyer's miss went over the top of backboard)

2:02 - Foul on Grant Huffman - why wait 13 seconds to foul if you are doing it intentionally

1:46 - Foul on Grant Huffman - again why wait another 16 seconds to foul and do so with so little time left on the shot clock?

1:35 - Foul  on Foster Loyer - 11 more seconds to foul intentionally?

1:20 - Gabe Brown (MSU) missed 3pt jumper - apparently at this point Davidson decided to stop fouling intentionally & let MSU bleed 15 seconds off before shooting?

1:20 - Joey Hauser offensive rebound

1:15 - Foul on Michael Jones (as I recall Jones fouled Hauser on the rebound so I'm not sure how there is a 5 second gap here, but it wasn't an intentional foul)

1:15 - Hauser makes both FTs

Again none of these foul calls were egregious all were likely actual fouls in a tightly called game, but this was not a tightly called game for 38 minutes.  In the first 37:58, MSU had 13 fouls total and Davidson had 9. 

This is misleading because Davidson DID intentionally foul later & was pressing/trapping which lead to fouls, but in the final 2:02 MSU got called for 1 foul & Davidson got called for 9 (4 on the possession I described, 1 "charge" on Lee, 2 fouls trapping that were varying degrees of questionable or outright bad, and 2 intentional fouls).

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

What?  Did you watch the game?  They most certainly were NOT intentional fouls.

Here is the play by play (per ESPN I think some of this is slightly off see below, but the point remains):

2:15 - Foster Loyer missed 3pt jumper

2:15 - MSU defensive rebound (Loyer's miss went over the top of backboard)

2:02 - Foul on Grant Huffman - why wait 13 seconds to foul if you are doing it intentionally

1:46 - Foul on Grant Huffman - again why wait another 16 seconds to foul and do so with so little time left on the shot clock?

1:35 - Foul  on Foster Loyer - 11 more seconds to foul intentionally?

1:20 - Gabe Brown (MSU) missed 3pt jumper - apparently at this point Davidson decided to stop fouling intentionally & let MSU bleed 15 seconds off before shooting?

1:20 - Joey Hauser offensive rebound

1:15 - Foul on Michael Jones (as I recall Jones fouled Hauser on the rebound so I'm not sure how there is a 5 second gap here, but it wasn't an intentional foul)

1:15 - Hauser makes both FTs

Again none of these foul calls were egregious all were likely actual fouls in a tightly called game, but this was not a tightly called game for 38 minutes.  In the first 37:58, MSU had 13 fouls total and Davidson had 9. 

This is misleading because Davidson DID intentionally foul later & was pressing/trapping which lead to fouls, but in the final 2:02 MSU got called for 1 foul & Davidson got called for 9 (4 on the possession I described, 1 "charge" on Lee, 2 fouls trapping that were varying degrees of questionable or outright bad, and 2 intentional fouls).

I forgot about the Lee foul charge call which had to be reviewed because the MSU player had his foot inside the restricted zone and was trying to move it out.

I still think that foul should have been called first on MSU.

I agree with you about all of the fouls called against Davidson however Davidson would have been able to get past it if they would have kept that possession and MSU does not get those free throws.

Davidson is well coached and would have challenged Duke and that is not allowed to happen with the coach retiring.

I am even more disturbed no one on CBS has the guts to talk about it.

Baylor goes on a 38-13 run over the final 10 mins. to get it to OT tied at 80. The run coincided with Caleb Love fouling out.

Just now, SluSignGuy said:

Fun end to the game (and I picked UNC)

NCAA needs UNC to win this game. Otherwise the only thing that will be talked about is the officiating.

Weak ejection 

weak technical call

Baylor mugging UNC on every inbounds

A great game where the refs have become the story.