A10 Transfer News 2022

Ditto Umass with McCall out.  Jack Forest transferred in from Delaware two years back.  There's a guy you want.  Could also happen at Bona if Schmidt is going elsewhere --- not that Bona has anybody outside the Iron Five.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Just so hard for a team trying to build something to keep momentum going.

yep, but but on the flip side a bad season can quickly be fixed. 

11 minutes ago, almaman said:

I on paper would be more worried about losing guys than gaining but I think we have group that is more involved in team goals than individual 

I agree, but I also feel it’s a tad inevitable. Every program loses 1 to 2 nowadays. I have faith our top 4 at the very least, if not top 5-7, will be back. 

18 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I agree, but I also feel it’s a tad inevitable. Every program loses 1 to 2 nowadays. I have faith our top 4 at the very least, if not top 5-7, will be back. 

Have we lost any one we wish we hadn't in the TFE?

15 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

When’s the last time we lost someone we wish we hadn’t? Keith Carter? Before that?

I wasn’t pumped about losing Jacobs last year. But even more than that I’d say Jalen Johnson in 2018 was a tough loss

18 minutes ago, NH said:

I wasn’t pumped about losing Jacobs last year. But even more than that I’d say Jalen Johnson in 2018 was a tough loss

18 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-be careful tempting fate

4got all about him. how did he do this season?

9 hours ago, MichaelC said:

Also expecting a number of transfers from UMASS and GW (they reportedly have fired Christian) 

Indeed, Christian is out after three seasons including two that overlapped with Covid-19.  That is harsh.  The conventional wisdom is that makes the job less desirable, but maybe they have a plan.

1 hour ago, NH said:

Agree to disagree on Jalen Johnson. I really liked Jacobs game, you just never got the sense we were getting 100% of his talent. 

as far as the point of the post tho, you’re right. It’s just different because we’ve never lost anyone major like our conference mates have - like Mason losing Johnson today. Even VCU lost Samir Doughty a couple years ago. Davidson lost Kellen Grady, but I imagine much of that is due to their grad program issue (or the lack thereof). Has Dayton lost anyone recently? Bona? 

(KNOCKING ON WOOD RIGHT NOW)

8 hours ago, NH said:

Is it bad I forgot about Jacobs, but very clearly remember Jalen? Probably because I had interactions with him more than anything. Hasn't he bounced around to 3 schools after us? Am I incorrect in remembering that his dad kind of made the decisions for him and transferred him for more playing time?

40 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Losing Jacobs was a small hit, but it would have been nice to have had him. 

He averaged around 7ppg for Ball State.  not sure it would have been that nice to have him.  He had a lot of ability and seemed like a good dude.  I think he just lacks killer instinct needed to really flourish.  Talent was there for sure.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Losing Jacobs was a small hit, but it would have been nice to have had him. 

so he could sit on the bench?

No ---- Dayton hasn't really lost anyone and neither has Bona.  Dayton did see Rodney Chatman transfer to Vanderbilt last year.   Prior to tjhat Dayton's biggest loss, pre-portal era, was Juwann Staten to West Virginia. Others have been like our guys ... Dwayne Cohill, Jhery Matos, Frank Policelli, and Lynn Greer III.  These wnet to places like Youngstown State, St. Joes, Stoeny Brook and Puerto Rican pro careers.

I guess the best loss out of Bona would be Izaiah Brockington who went to Penn State then finished with Iowa State.  Guys have gone but kind of like our guys ----  Eddie Creal, Alpha Okoli, Anthony Roberts, Bobby Plantius, Alejandro Vasquez, Rob Carpenter and Justin WInston.  Most of these guys downgrade to schools like Stony Brook, Bob Morris, IUPU-Fort Wayne, Cal State East Bay and so on.

8 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Agree to disagree on Jalen Johnson. I really liked Jacobs game, you just never got the sense we were getting 100% of his talent. 

as far as the point of the post tho, you’re right. It’s just different because we’ve never lost anyone major like our conference mates have - like Mason losing Johnson today. Even VCU lost Samir Doughty a couple years ago. Davidson lost Kellen Grady, but I imagine much of that is due to their grad program issue (or the lack thereof). Has Dayton lost anyone recently? Bona? 

(KNOCKING ON WOOD RIGHT NOW)

I was just answering the question earnestly, wasn’t trying to make a point.

Jalen Johnson seemed like he maybe wasn’t the best chemistry fit given that he subsequently transferred to 3 other schools. But given that he was a good 3 point shooter and we desperately needed 3 point shooting at the time, he was missed on the floor.

I agree on Jacobs. He was never going to be a star but I do think he would’ve added something on this years team (and next). If he wanted to come back as the Deandre Jones replacement I think we’d generally be on board.

Carteare Gordon was a major loss, but that situation was always destined to end poorly.

We lost Yarbrough, Bartley and Reynolds that one year. But it’s different following a coaching change.

i was bummed when we lost Marcus Relphorde, who ended up being a good player at Colorado. That one also had to do with a coaching change 

10 hours ago, Littlebill said:

When’s the last time we lost someone we wish we hadn’t? Keith Carter? Before that?

In the post-Majerus era, of the folks not involved in any sort of situation, I'd say:

• Miles Reynolds - 2016
  • Jalen Johnson - 2018
  • Demarius Jacobs - 2020

Maybe not franchise guys, but all could have contributed.

21 minutes ago, Compton said:

In the post-Majerus era, of the folks not involved in any sort of situation, I'd say:

• Miles Reynolds - 2016
  • Jalen Johnson - 2018
  • Demarius Jacobs - 2020

Maybe not franchise guys, but all could have contributed.

Imo, only Jacobs contributes to this team. Reynolds maybe does since we were so bad, but he doesn’t see the floor in this team, except maybe that super senior season he did. 

I guess I just differ from the board in the player Jalen Johnson was. Plus shooter but a hugely minus defender. Like worst defensive Billiken I’ve seen in my fandom. Lorentsson could do everything Johnson could do. But, as they say, jmho 

2 hours ago, Slowry said:

He averaged around 7ppg for Ball State.  not sure it would have been that nice to have him.  He had a lot of ability and seemed like a good dude.  I think he just lacks killer instinct needed to really flourish.  Talent was there for sure.

It is crazy that his usage at Ball State remained about the same as it was at SLU.  He had the highest offensive rating on a bad Ball State team, but only took 13.7% of the shots while he was on the floor.  Lack of killer instinct seems like it is a perfect description.