Coaching Carousel

BLIKNS

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow to Wright retiring and whoa to him being 60? I would’ve guessed 52, 55 tops. Was about to say that I can’t wait for him to come out of retirement to be our next head coach in 5 years.
Although I guess Dunphy was just hired at the age of 103… 

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Who would have thunk that the successor at Villanova would be a Fordham head coach…

When I watched our game against Fordham, I was impressed with what Neptune was getting out of the Fordham team. Those kids were playing well, much better than what Fordham's level has been for a long time, and the change took place in a single year, amazing! Their coach was good, so why should he not be asked to be HC at Villanova.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

When I watched our game against Fordham, I was impressed with what Neptune was getting out of the Fordham team. Those kids were playing well, much better than what Fordham's level has been for a long time, and the change took place in a single year, amazing! Their coach was good, so why should he not be asked to be HC at Villanova.

First call Fordham needs to make is to Rick Pitino.  He texted this week that the A10 is ready to take off and that "we need to get into a multibid league".  After Pitino hangs up, Jared Grasso from Bryant is next call.  Fordham Assistant Urgo has to be considered.  Maybe he keeps some of the players.  Phil Martelli?

NIL and the Portal has made it so you not only have to recruit HS, you recruit other college kids and your own team all the time.  

Think about this, now you have to have a NFL, NBA or EPL like scouting to check out other college players so you have some data if they jump into the portal.

Day after winning the National Championship, UGA Football Coach Kirby Smart talked about the never ending grind of recruiting never ending and how coaches aren't getting a break.

From Gary Parrish:

Wright offered no real explanation in his announcement on Twitter -- but he did say he's 'excited to hand over the reigns to Villanova's next coach." Put another way, he's excited to walk away -- and these next words are mine, not his -- from a profession that is more demanding and chaotic and exhausting than ever.

Again, Wright has not said any of that -- publicly. But sources have indicated that he, like many of his colleagues, simply reached a point where the job wasn't nearly as fun as it used to be because of all of the things coaches now have to deal with that didn't use to exist. Name, image and likeness rights were long overdue. The one-time transfer waiver is fair. Alternative options for high school prospects are great. Social media is fun. But even the coaches who agree with each of those previous four sentences -- and, trust me, not all of them do -- acknowledge that the combination of those things has made their jobs complex and in many ways unappealing. Do you really believe it's a coincidence that North Carolina's Roy Williams, Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Villanova's Jay Wright all retired within 13 months of each other -- or that Maryland's coach (Mark Turgeon) and Louisville's coach (Chris Mack) just straight quit in the middle of the season?

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

From Gary Parrish:

Wright offered no real explanation in his announcement on Twitter -- but he did say he's 'excited to hand over the reigns to Villanova's next coach." Put another way, he's excited to walk away -- and these next words are mine, not his -- from a profession that is more demanding and chaotic and exhausting than ever.

Again, Wright has not said any of that -- publicly. But sources have indicated that he, like many of his colleagues, simply reached a point where the job wasn't nearly as fun as it used to be because of all of the things coaches now have to deal with that didn't use to exist. Name, image and likeness rights were long overdue. The one-time transfer waiver is fair. Alternative options for high school prospects are great. Social media is fun. But even the coaches who agree with each of those previous four sentences -- and, trust me, not all of them do -- acknowledge that the combination of those things has made their jobs complex and in many ways unappealing. Do you really believe it's a coincidence that North Carolina's Roy Williams, Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Villanova's Jay Wright all retired within 13 months of each other -- or that Maryland's coach (Mark Turgeon) and Louisville's coach (Chris Mack) just straight quit in the middle of the season?

Lumping Williams and Krzyzewski with Turgeon and Mack is a little misleading. Williams and Krzyzewski are in their 70s. Mack and Turgeon are still in their early 50s. 

All four made phenomenal salaries but Williams and Krzyzewski could always earn substantial bucks on the speaker and clinic circuit.

Schasz likes this

I hope Bruiser Flint gets the job, got to like a guy named Bruiser... Been awhile since he was at UMass

I predict basketball (football this is already starting) budgets will grow to add non-coaching staff.

Staff to help manage social media, scout possible transfers, and maybe non-coaching analysts thar review film etc and advise the HC.  All to ease expanding burdens.

billikenbill likes this

9 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I predict basketball (football this is already starting) budgets will grow to add non-coaching staff.

Staff to help manage social media, scout possible transfers, and maybe non-coaching analysts thar review film etc and advise the HC.  All to ease expanding burdens.

This kind of thing is happening elsewhere. Take medical practice, those groups that remain independent oftentimes have more employees dealing with insurance, coding, and regulatory issues than engaging in delivering medical care. This is why the vast majority of medical practices have sold out to major health care outfits like Mercy.