Coaching Carousel

BLIKNS

11 minutes ago, laker119 said:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/who-s-mizzou-s-next-basketball-coach-reed-francois-could-start-with-this-list/article_eab76141-bf59-5a0d-a344-47c8264e0b4d.html  Ford’s name is listed here, but his name seems to be more of a media push more than anything.  Kim English has alumni backing, according to this report

Here is the quote from Dave Matter's first article.  Not exactly a strong statement. 

Among the potential candidates Mizzou could explore include North Texas’ Grant McCasland, Drake’s Darian DeVries, Murray State’s Matt McMahon, Cleveland State’s Dennis Gates, Baylor assistant Jerome Tang and former Mizzou player Kim English, who went 14-16 in his first year as the head coach at George Mason. Sources close to the program also mentioned Oregon’s Dana Altman and St. Louis University’s Travis Ford as coaches possibly interested in the position.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The more I think about it, firing Martin this year is a wildly stupid decision. We bad mouth Martin, but he is definitely a good game/bench coach. I have never disliked his in-game decisions or strategy. He is a good, but not great recruiter. He is strange because he brings in the best players (Porters et al), and then brings in a lot of other underwhelming players. Overall, his recruiting isn’t bad. He inherited the biggest dumpster fire in Mizzou’s history and immediately turned it around. This year, his recruits did not pan out, but everyone respected Yaya Keita before his injury. That may have really hurt this team. No one knows why Xavier Pinson left, but it is clear he had a strong attitude. I think an AD has to have a better feel for the situation than this. You cannot pull the plug on a good coach, because the alternative could be a lot worse. 

Crystal Ball prediction: Mizzou will pay Martin while he takes another team to the dance, while they are struggling in the bottom half of the SEC.

Firing Martin cost Missouri a lot of money on the buyout of his contract.

Like him or not last year his team danced.  But fans really disliked him because of his recruiting.  Currently some of the Missouri fans do not want St. Louis recruits because they have not played well.  They did not get Kalkbrenner, Love, Collins, Fletcher, Liddell just to name a few that would have made them a better team.

Rightfully so SLU is more patient with coaches.

The points you made on your post are spot on with the small exception of recruiting because Martin should do better than Ford based on the conference Missouri plays in.

3 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Agree that the SEC is not a good conference for Mizzou. Going back to when they made the move, it was obvious that they wanted an invite to the Big 10. Nebraska got that call, and then Mizzou jumped to the SEC. Football is and always will be the No. 1 sport in the SEC. The facilities at Mizzou are a joke compared to most of the teams in the SEC.

Mi$$ouri has always had delusions of their "greatness".   I took great joy in their crash this year.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Mi$$ouri has always had delusions of their "greatness".   I took great joy in their crash this year.

The thing that has always pi$$ed me off about Mizzou is that they refuse to play the Bills in hoops. There were years early in Stewart's tenure where they did play us. My memory was they were very competitive games.

16 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Agree that the SEC is not a good conference for Mizzou. Going back to when they made the move, it was obvious that they wanted an invite to the Big 10. Nebraska got that call, and then Mizzou jumped to the SEC. Football is and always will be the No. 1 sport in the SEC. The facilities at Mizzou are a joke compared to most of the teams in the SEC.

I could see UMC moving to the Valley.

I like Bob Sunvold or Kim Anderson for the coaching job.

18 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I could see UMC moving to the Valley.

I like Bob Sunvold or Kim Anderson for the coaching job.

pakapablo likes this

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

It’s largely about money. In that regard, it’s been a great decision tor them. They have a recent $3 Billion deal with Disney, netting each school almost $70 million annually. 

They needed a more contemporary aggressive fundraiser, so they hired a new AD who has that skillset. 

And it’s also about coaching and other hires. When Mizzou joined the SEC, they finished 1st in the SEC East in 2 of 4 years, winning both the Cotton Bowl and Citrus Bowl. Then their long time coach stepped down after getting cancer.

Right now they are largely a softball and wrestling school. Their league is fine. It’s certainly a challenge to keep up, but I don’t think they long for the Big 12 or wish they were in the Big 10. 

With regards to basketball and SLU, unless or until Mizzou wants to play home and home with SLU, there isn’t much to discuss there.

Looking at it from the AD’s perspective, I guess maybe I can understand it a bit better. The AD will get fired if basketball and football are bad for 3 years. Football is a lost cause. They had a 25 year losing streak to Nebraska, and I think 20 years without a winning season, then they had the Gary Pinkel era (I am fudging some things there, but roughly correct). Pinkel was a vastly underrated coach. I think it would take a miracle to get back to being a contender in the SEC.

So, that gives the AD 1-2 years to get basketball on track. If he did not think the current players and recruits could win next year, he had to make this decision. That said, I think this will turn out bad for the school. 

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Mizzou’s decision to join the SEC will haunt Mizzou forever.  They have never been consistent football players and really can’t compete with Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, and now Texas and Oklahoma. In basketball, it’s Kentucky, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, LSU, etc., etc.  They will be perennial doormats.  Mizzou should just crawl back to the leftover Big 12 and dominate there.  At least they’ll be back with Kansas.

They’re not about to give up the $45-50mm in shared SEC wealth, which Is likely to go up once Texas and OU enter the fray. 

5 hours ago, Schasz said:

SEC is a football conference and Mizzou is primarily a football school.

Money talks and nothing holds a candle to SEC's football revenue sharing.

5 minutes ago, Soderball said:

SEC is a football conference and Mizzou is primarily a football school.

Money talks and nothing holds a candle to SEC's football revenue sharing.

Very familiar with the SEC. My wife is a UT Vol Alum. We both went to Mizzou football games back in Big 12 days. She said you must see a football game at Neyland Stadium. It is a really great place to see college football. No, football stirs the drink at the SEC, however, even now Mizzou's stadium does not stack up to other stadiums in the SEC!

4 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Looking at it from the AD’s perspective, I guess maybe I can understand it a bit better. The AD will get fired if basketball and football are bad for 3 years. Football is a lost cause. They had a 25 year losing streak to Nebraska, and I think 20 years without a winning season, then they had the Gary Pinkel era (I am fudging some things there, but roughly correct). Pinkel was a vastly underrated coach. I think it would take a miracle to get back to being a contender in the SEC.

So, that gives the AD 1-2 years to get basketball on track. If he did not think the current players and recruits could win next year, he had to make this decision. That said, I think this will turn out bad for the school. 

6 hours ago, Schasz said:

The thing that has always pi$$ed me off about Mizzou is that they refuse to play the Bills in hoops. There were years early in Stewart's tenure where they did play us. My memory was they were very competitive games.

Hot take central 

13 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Twitter saying Frank Haith out at Tulsa. Bad weekend to be associated with BCCC…like every other weekend.

Makes sense to reset with the profile of the American changing with conference realignment. Tulsa had a terrible year, and has generally been trending in the wrong direction, but they ended 2019-20 tied for 1st in the AAC. A bid and even a decent seed in the 2020 tourney might have bought Haith another year or two.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Coaching carousel getting full. Lots of movement coming up. Let’s hope May is doing his homework. That said, I don’t think Travis is a red hot commodity. 

Agreed. A10 finishes of 4th, 4th, and 5th with no NCAA appearances means not a hot commodity and not on the hot seat.

JettFlight5 likes this

The way Chris May loves Ford, I’m thinking our upcoming first round NIT loss to Southwest Tech State will merit a 5 year contract extension.