GDT: Senior Day vs VCU

19 hours ago, brianstl said:

If we are going to judge being a successful program by SLU’s last 50 years, we just might as well join the Valley. If that is how we are going to say someone is doing well we shouldn’t have built Chaifetz and pumped all the other money we have into the program the past 20 years.  When your program has the facilities and funding to rival any other non football school in the country, you need to raise the bar when it comes to what you consider doing well.

And the congregation said: Amen

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

There was no doubt throughout the game hargrove was not on board with the game plan for his use.   

IMO the issue is the quick yank. after a TJ tournover or missed 3 . I think it’s hard to play in fear of making a play  

billiken_roy likes this

45 minutes ago, willie said:

IMO the issue is the quick yank. after a TJ tournover or missed 3 . I think it’s hard to play in fear of making a play  

Is it a quick yank?

I don’t know why his minutes have been cut but if he is making the same mistake every game and he’s been making this mistake for 3 years is it really a quick yank?

I haven’t seen TJ pulled after missing a 3 that I thought was a good shot. I’ve seen him pulled after missing a 3 that I thought was a poorly timed shot. 

I don’t know if this is what’s happening but nobody knows. 

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

Is it a quick yank?

I don’t know why his minutes have been cut but if he is making the same mistake every game and he’s been making this mistake for 3 years is it really a quick yank?

I haven’t seen TJ pulled after missing a 3 that I thought was a good shot. I’ve seen him pulled after missing a 3 that I thought was a poorly timed shot. 

I don’t know if this is what’s happening but nobody knows. 

So what is a poorly timed shot? If he’s opened but early in the short clock is that a bad shot.? I don’t think he’s taken too many bad 3’s, some of his out of controls,not so much. I think Ford and a lot of coaches yank after bad plays. It’s not like the players don’t know they made a mistake. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

So what is a poorly timed shot? If he’s opened but early in the short clock is that a bad shot.? I don’t think he’s taken too many bad 3’s, some of his out of controls,not so much. I think Ford and a lot of coaches yank after bad plays. It’s not like the players don’t know they made a mistake. 

TJ has twice as many turnovers as he does assists.  37 TOs to 18 assists.  Truly awful stat.  According to this, he is the absolute last player we want dribbling the ball or making plays.

The quick yank comes when he tries to do so.  The numbers don’t lie.  Ford knows what he is and TJ does not.  He’s an athletic rim runner who can make an occasional 3.  The key to TJ reclaiming minutes is to have the self-awareness to realize these strengths and accept that role

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

TJ has twice as many turnovers as he does assists.  37 TOs to 18 assists.  Truly awful stat.  According to this, he is the absolute last player we want dribbling the ball or making plays.

The quick yank comes when he tries to do so.  The numbers don’t lie.  Ford knows what he is and TJ does not.  He’s an athletic rim runner who can make an occasional 3.  The key to TJ reclaiming minutes is to have the self-awareness to realize these strengths and accept that role

Exactly 

8 hours ago, Fraz said:

TJ is the future glue player on this team if he wants to wait his turn.  He's an athletic tweener -- glue player is about as good as it gets for a player like that at this level.  But he will have to wait.  Thatch is on a mission right now.

Schasz likes this

Last year at this time, I thought Jimerson might transfer. It seemed like he and Ford were having issues. Then nothing. Earlier this season, it looked like Thatch was angry every game, but nothing. The only difference here is that Hargrove’s Dad is on Twitter. I know very little about Hargrove, but no one should worry about his Dad’s opinion, it is obvious that his Mom is the dominant person in that family. If she wants a change, then TJ will move on. If she wants him to stay and double down, then he probably will. In either case, he is a good kid and people should stop speculating.

11 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Last year at this time, I thought Jimerson might transfer. It seemed like he and Ford were having issues. Then nothing. Earlier this season, it looked like Thatch was angry every game, but nothing. The only difference here is that Hargrove’s Dad is on Twitter. I know very little about Hargrove, but no one should worry about his Dad’s opinion, it is obvious that his Mom is the dominant person in that family. If she wants a change, then TJ will move on. If she wants him to stay and double down, then he probably will. In either case, he is a good kid and people should stop speculating.

Agree to disagree. When a player begins to publicly show up the head coach, which is something I can’t recall the other players you mentioned ever doing, then I don’t see a problem with speculation. 

Fraz and billiken_roy like this

19 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If I could "good post" react this a hundred times, I would.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

TJ is the future glue player on this team if he wants to wait his turn.  He's an athletic tweener -- glue player is about as good as it gets for a player like that at this level.  But he will have to wait.  Thatch is on a mission right now.

Three years in it gets a little tougher to hear the wait your time line. But your post hits the nail on the head with respect to his situation at SLU, based on that TJ will have a decision to make this spring.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Thatch, Hargrove and Nesbitt can successfully share 80 minutes of playing time, with 2 of them on the floor at the same time.

Playing the hot hand is prudent too.  So if one of the three is hot, as Thatch has been, the other two can share 45 minutes.

You left out Jimerson, Kramer, Parker, Perkins, Thames, Williams and Strickland.  Ford normally plays 3 wings, 1 PG and 1 Big.  You have 120 minutes to divide up 10 ways, if all of these guys show up. 

Ford uses his wings in any slot, with Jimerson and Thatch currently getting major minutes.  In A10 conference games, Jimerson is averaging 35 mpg, Thatch 30 mpg, and Nesbitt 26 mpg.  Hargrove is averaging 19 mpg. 

57 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You left out Jimerson, Kramer, Parker, Perkins, Thames, Williams and Strickland.  Ford normally plays 3 wings, 1 PG and 1 Big.  You have 120 minutes to divide up 10 ways, if all of these guys show up. 

Ford uses his wings in any slot, with Jimerson and Thatch currently getting major minutes.  In A10 conference games, Jimerson is averaging 35 mpg, Thatch 30 mpg, and Nesbitt 26 mpg.  Hargrove is averaging 19 mpg. 

No, I didn't leave out anyone.  First, I'm referring to this season, not next season.  So Perkins, Parker, Thames, and Kramer are not included.  I'm also assuming the current pattern will hold with Coach Ford not playing Williams and Strickland.  I'm not saying I agree with it, but am trying to solve one issue at a time, one that can be solved.

Second, I'm assuming Jimerson takes the bulk of the minutes at his position, as he has.  

SLU has to win 4 games in 4 days, has the personnel to do it, if it is utilized.