GDT: Senior Day vs VCU

Great one more year chant for Perkins even Gus did a good job.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same story as all year, we struggle against long defenders once they resort to pressure defense and there's no closer on this team.  Our 5-11 pass-first point guard is the closest thing we have to a closer on this year's team and he did just enough to preserve the win.  We are who we are.  I commend the guys for fighting through their obvious limitations to beat VCU in a game the Rams absolutely had to win.

Coach Fords voice is gone what a nice moment after the game

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Observation: When SLU plays as the aggressor, SLU is the best team in the A10. When SLU plays not to lose, SLU is #5 in the A10.

Observation:  When SLU plays in the first half against normal defense, they are the best team in the A10.  When they play in the 2nd half against pressure defense, turnovers mount, our leading scorer disappears and leads evaporate.

Said goodbye for now to my friends in section 101 unless we get to the NIT.

Just now, maverick said:

From the sound of it on the radio, sounds like a good number of fans stuck around. congrats all seniors!!

There were quite a few

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Observation:  When SLU plays in the first half against normal defense, they are the best team in the A10.  When they play in the 2nd half against pressure defense, turnovers mount, our leading scorer disappears and leads evaporate.

Why was Nesbitt not on the court most of the 2nd Half? Nesbitt was given only 7 minutes the entire game. His ball handling would have been a 3rd option against Havoc. 

What happened in his absence is no mystery.

someoneelse likes this

9 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Why was Nesbitt not on the court most of the 2nd Half? Nesbitt was given only 7 minutes the entire game. His ball handling would have been a 3rd option against Havoc. 

What happened in his absence is no mystery.

The 2nd half turnovers happened all year regardless of whether Nesbitt has been in the game or not.  The senior Deandre Jones got Nesbitt's minutes on senior night.  Not the call I would have made but ultimately it comes down to Yuri making a play, whoever is out there.  

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

The 2nd half turnovers happened all year regardless of whether Nesbitt has been in the game or not.  The senior Deandre Jones got Nesbitt's minutes on senior night.  Not the call I would have made but ultimately it comes down to Yuri making a play, whoever is out there.  

For much of the 2nd Half, Jones was the primary backcourt ball handler. While I understood that move to take some pressure off Yuri, the team still looked gassed down the stretch. 
Playing Nesbitt only 7 minutes, Senior day or not, is 20-25 minutes too few.

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Actually I could understand the Jones - Collins combo against VCU’s D. It was that combo that built the first half lead. 

But we still need finishers, players who can score the ball aka Forwards.

When VCU traps, someone is always open. As I told Ms. BAB, VCU did not have 6 players on the floor. SLU wasn’t playing 5 on 6. It only seemed that way.

25 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

But we still need finishers, players who can score the ball aka Forwards.

When VCU traps, someone is always open. As I told Ms. BAB, VCU did not have 6 players on the floor. SLU wasn’t playing 5 on 6. It only seemed that way.

Nesbitt was out of control when he was in. I’m a huge fan of his, but this was not a good matchup for him.