Perkins on Senior Day

ACE

Just saying the last 2 A10 POY got drafted and got paid life changing $. Of course not every POY gets drafted but Perkins has a chance to be Obi and Bones good. A chance to get drafted and cash in only comes once. Sure, you can grind it out over seas and in the G-league and make it to the league but that’s what it is, a grind.  Just saying it will still be there. Shoot your shot, Javonte.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/5/2022 at 12:43 PM, Scoop said:

Just saying the last 2 A10 POY got drafted and got paid life changing $. Of course not every POY gets drafted but Perkins has a chance to be Obi and Bones good. A chance to get drafted and cash in only comes once. Sure, you can grind it out over seas and in the G-league and make it to the league but that’s what it is, a grind.  Just saying it will still be there. Shoot your shot, Javonte.

As a counterpoint, Toppin turned 24 last week, and Highland turns 22 in September.  Perkins also turns 24 this year in August, meaning that if he does come back, he would start his professional career at 25.  I don't see an NBA GM taking that kind of chance with a draft choice, which would put him in the G League, or overseas.  Nothing wrong with that, or course.  

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

As a counterpoint, Toppin turned 24 last week, and Highland turns 22 in September.  Perkins also turns 24 this year in August, meaning that if he does come back, he would start his professional career at 25.  I don't see an NBA GM taking that kind of chance with a draft choice, which would put him in the G League, or overseas.  Nothing wrong with that, or course.  

The number of players making it into the League from overseas or the G League is on the rise. But yes his age is a factor. If you look at the ages of drafted players the majority are teenagers up to 21. 

18 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

I don't see an NBA GM taking that kind of chance with a draft choice, which would put him in the G League, or overseas.  Nothing wrong with that, or course.  

He's not getting drafted this year. It would be pretty difficult for him to end up on a team this year around with the timing of everything.   Its a question of does he want to play oversees right away and get paid or try his luck in college one more year to show off and show injury isnt holding him back. 

rgbilliken likes this

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Is is possible for Guy Phillips to not be awkward in moments like these?  The sentiment was already out there about being hopeful that Perkins would be back.  It was clear that Perkins wasn't going to make a big announcement either way, although it certainly seemed at one point, briefly, that he wanted to.  The moment happened, it passed, Perkins handed the microphone off, and then Gus Phelps, "correction, Guy Phillips," launches into a very odd "HE WILL BE BACK, stronger than ever" thing that he repeated like five times.  I guarantee it was something that Phillips prepared ahead of time, because he thought it would be cute and people would be talking about how witty he was.  I also am rather sure that no one in the Athletic Department or the coaching staff knew that Phillips was going to do that or approved it.

It thought he took a very genuine moment that was happening, that everyone who was paying attention understood, and made it very strange and cringeworthy. 

100% agree

Is is possible for Guy Phillips to not be awkward in moments like these?  The sentiment was already out there about being hopeful that Perkins would be back.  It was clear that Perkins wasn't going to make a big announcement either way, although it certainly seemed at one point, briefly, that he wanted to.  The moment happened, it passed, Perkins handed the microphone off, and then Gus Phelps, "correction, Guy Phillips," launches into a very odd "HE WILL BE BACK, stronger than ever" thing that he repeated like five times.  I guarantee it was something that Phillips prepared ahead of time, because he thought it would be cute and people would be talking about how witty he was.  I also am rather sure that no one in the Athletic Department or the coaching staff knew that Phillips was going to do that or approved it.

It thought he took a very genuine moment that was happening, that everyone who was paying attention understood, and made it very strange and cringeworthy. 

Guy is just...Guy. He's a Guy named Guy who mispronounces the names of other Guys while making Guys feel awkward.

Him doing that almost made it feel like an announcement because a part of me was already hoping that Javonte would tell everyone that he was coming back once he got the mic. And I'm sure it made Javonte feel very awkward.

Guy was bad throughout the entire game too. Seemed like there were more "corrections" than any other game this season. 

25 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Him doing that almost made it feel like an announcement because a part of me was already hoping that Javonte would tell everyone that he was coming back once he got the mic. And I'm sure it made Javonte feel very awkward.

Guy was bad throughout the entire game too. Seemed like there were more "corrections" than any other game this season. 

Yes.  The last time he said "HE WILL BE BACK.....stronger than ever," he had a long pause, longer then the other times, between the first part and the second part.  A portion of the crowd started cheering as if Phillips was announcing that Perkins was coming back.  Very, very strange choice, by a guy who makes a lot of strange choices when doing this gig.  I have to think that when the portion of the crowd started cheering, Phillips probably smiled and thought he had done something good.

thetorch likes this

21 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Yep. Thought the same thing. Terrible. That and Perkins reaction to everything makes me think he won't be back but we will see

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Thank you for sharing.

I figured Fred would probably stay and get his PHD from SLU for playing basketball.

Dr. Thatch sounds great.

I think it's wonderful that Fred seems to be taking a realistic view of his future and will take advantage of today's situation and rules to prepare himself for life after basketball.  Fred continues to rise up my ladder of favorite Billikens for all the right reasons.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I have to assume that he would get the crown for greatest academic accomplishments by a student athlete at SLU.

Coming in second would be the players like Cassidy and Conklin that got their masters in 4 years.

5 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Yep. Thought the same thing. Terrible. That and Perkins reaction to everything makes me think he won't be back but we will see

It was really cringe-worthy, but I assume Guy Phillips being an idiot has no impact at all on Perkins returning or not returning.  As many others have said, we all assume he will assess his options / rehab status & make a decision then.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Coming in second would be the players like Cassidy and Conklin that got their masters in 4 years.

1 hour ago, Dr Bird said:

Paul Eckerle and Ted Mimlitz both became medical doctors.

Crawford got his MBA in Accounting in 4 years.

Welmer got two Bachelor Degrees, in Marketing and in Sports Business in his time at SLU

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-Sign Guy/Dr Steve, please tell us how serious we should take Fred saying he will get his PhD while playing ball

Actually getting his PhD will be less class time then he has now.  If he has to do research then he can pretty much control when that happens.  It clearly is doable if he really wants to do it.