Perkins on Senior Day

ACE

All the cachet he had built last year i snow erased by a year of injury sitting on the sidelines.  I guess you can take a chance you can regain that lost form and parlay it into a career overseas or an invite to a G league camp but I seriously doubt it.  I think he needs to come back and light it up again to regain that lost cachet.  However, it is what it is to him based on what his career goals are and to those, I have no clue.  

It is indeed jealous and greedy of me to want him back.  Maybe the staff believes Sincere Parker is the next man up in the wings.  

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Even with the caveat that he hasn’t made a decision yet, I’m in the same mindset as you. I know what TheOne said a few months back, but I’m also very inclined to believe what Coach314 has been saying (what everyone else has blissfully ignored). 

Word around campus is that it’s a 50/50 chance. Everyone that I’ve talked to has said they don’t know but just based on the way they framed their responses, I think it’s more likely than not that he leaves. Time will tell I guess.

*blue font* let’s bring on Caleb Love, he’ll be the Yuri back up we’ve been looking for.

I don't think it's been blissfully ignored. It seems pretty clear, and as Javonte himself even recently said, that he may come back and he may not. I don't think Javonte himself even knows the answer yet. It will probably depend on what professional opportunities are available to him.

I would expect that we will find out the answer sometime in late April or May

6 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but at what point in the off-season would he be required to make a decision one way or the other?

I shouldn’t answer this because  I’m not sure. But I think there is a period you can get an assessment of your future through some sort of tryout. If u sign with an agent after this you’re done with college hoops. If u don’t sign u are still eligible. 

stmdragons likes this

Does anybody know where things stand academically? Is he set to graduate this year or is going for a masters or anything?

Seems to me that he won't be in a position to play pro ball anywhere until next fall given the rehab that's needed and I have to think he'd be in a better position for that (whether its here or overseas) after an A-10 POY season. 

57 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Does anybody know where things stand academically? Is he set to graduate this year or is going for a masters or anything?

Seems to me that he won't be in a position to play pro ball anywhere until next fall given the rehab that's needed and I have to think he'd be in a better position for that (whether its here or overseas) after an A-10 POY season. 

Us mbm’s should put together a nice nil package so Perkins can have a further incentive to return 

David King and NH like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Let me translate for the MBMs.  Caleb Love and Malachi Smith are both transferring to SLU and John Bol will announce his SLU commitment in August.  Larry Hughes Jr will be a preferred walk on.  In exchange for putting his jersey in the rafters Larry Hughes Sr will pay for all the Baskertball team's facilities ceillings to be lifted to accomodate the soon to be 8 foot Bol. 

8 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Let me translate for the MBMs.  Caleb Love and Malachi Smith are both transferring to SLU and John Bol will announce his SLU commitment in August.  Larry Hughes Jr will be a preferred walk on.  In exchange for putting his jersey in the rafters Larry Hughes Sr will pay for all the Baskertball team's facilities ceillings to be lifted to accomodate the soon to be 8 foot Bol. 

If any of this happens I will buy you multiple beers . And be thrilled doing it. 

15 minutes ago, willie said:

If any of this happens I will buy you multiple beers . And be thrilled doing it. 

My take - Thatch will take some overseas $ while it makes sense.  Perkins coming back.

No inside knowledge.

I'll repeat what I said about Perkins on a different thread...don't see the NBA as a landing spot for him next season what with him coming off a serious knee injury. So that leaves him with choices like a transfer to another college team or going to a pro minor league or playing in Europe. In listening to his interview he seemed to like playing in front of his relatives and at home. So I'm thinking he stays until he makes his final decision known.

The whole "perkins has no choice but to come back and prove himself" imo is malarky.   if he cant find an agent that will get him the needed tryout looks after his recovery is complete he needs to find a new agent.    his film of his stellar play leading up to the injury is out there for any pro stop to view they will see what he is capable of, they will have full medical reports they can even run him through stength and conditioning test to prove how much he measures up physically.   

i would bet with perkins permission his doctor is an open source for the effectiveness of the surgery and where he is.    he doesnt need to play for free another year to get his chance.   my guess is he doesnt make an actual public final decision until August after he has went through the above with any interested parties.   but if he comes back imo it is a sign he didnt recover as expected.   if his knee is fine and he has full movement and flexibility needed to play, he is surely going to take whatever money is available and go professional. 

those of you that keep dreaming of getting drafted, show me the last season the majority of the draft was upperclassmen.   the draft has nothing to do with actual ready to contribute talent as it does trying to find the next great one.   they draft first on potential second on ready to play.   staying another year and waiting for the 2023 draft only makes him look old in tooth to the nba folks compared to the wild mustangs that havent really proven all that much in high school, college or overseas to show they deserve an nba chance for anything more then they jump high, run fast and can shoot the three.   i dont agree with that take, but it is what it is.   

right now if i was perkins i would be searching for the best representation that can get me the needed looks after i get my release from the slu doctors.  that will make him more money than hanging around playing another season for us fans.    sure his sticking around helps the billikens and gives us a fabulous final memory of a great player for the billikens.  but what's best for perkins imo is exploring the best opportunities professionally first and that success will likely be based on his recovery over the summer and his performances with those pro scouts.

Coach314 and drkelsey55 like this

I think another factor in this is how long he wants to be in college. At some point most guys are ready to move on with their lives/careers. If he comes back that would be four years at SLU in addition to the two in junior college. You can certainly argue why he should come back considering the timing of his injury, but I think a lot of it truly comes down to whether he is ready for the next chapter. I really feel bad for the guy, probably should not have come back this season (the risk reward was not there at all) and then he blows out his knee. I certainly understand whatever direction he decides to go and just hope it works out for him.

Pistol and Coach314 like this

Not sure what you're saying Scoop?  That A10 POY's will always get NBA drafted?  Or that they can make money somewhere because of their POY status/honor. 

So I checked.  Not so inclined to look up how each did but short of cups of coffee, I don't think any lit the League on fire. 

A10 POY ..... 2004-05: Pat Carroll and Steve Smith; 05-06: Steve Smith; 06-07: Stephen Lasme; 07-08: Gary Forbes; 08-09: Ahmad Nivens; 09-10: Kevin Anderson; 10-11: Tu Holloway; 11-12: Andrew Nicholson; 12-13: Khalid Wyatt; 13-14: Jordair Jett; 14-15: Tyler Kalinoski; 15-16: DeAndre Bemby; 16-17: TJ Cline; 17-18: Jaylen Adams and Peyton Aldridge; 18-19: Jon Axel Gudmundsson; 19-20: Obi Toppin; and 20-21: Nashon Hyland.