Senior Night

HoosierPal

Senior night is coming up in a week.  Last year, Senior Night confirmed that Goodwin and French were not returning for a 5th year and that Perkins was.  

Senior Night gives us an initial indication of what next season's team might look like.  This year we know that Jones will be leaving the program as well as Linssen, both with degrees in hand.  Simply using at SLU People Finder as a source of information, Rashad Williams and Gibson Jimerson are listed as academic Seniors.   Collins and Hargrove are listed as Juniors.  We know that Thatch has already graduated and is in the Masters program.  I hope that we don't see Perkins (listed as a Senior) walk across the floor to the center circle to shake hands with Coach Ford.  I will be interested in seeing if any players besides Jones and Linssen are honored next week.

I'm not trying to start rumors, nor start a thread where posters explain, in their terms, why player X, Y or Z will return or will leave. 

I found Scott Highmark's comment on the Saint Joseph's broadcast interesting.  He said he prefers Senior Night to be held before the game.  His was and he said he shot three air balls as he was so emotionally spent, but he said having it before was his preference.  If the team lost, then he said the environment was just not the same.  

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I found Scott Highmark's comment on the Saint Joseph's broadcast interesting.  He said he prefers Senior Night to be held before the game.  His was and he said he shot three air balls as he was so emotionally spent, but he said having it before was his preference.  If the team lost, then he said the environment was just not the same.  

I generally agree with doing Senior night before. I believe things changed with Majerus.  The positive of after is that more and longer speeches can be made, as there is no real time limit.  Both before and after there will likely be crowd issues (people not being there by the ceremony before or people leaving right when the game ends).

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I hate after game senior night.  hell a good portion of our fans wont even stay till the end of the game, preferring to "beat the traffic" to seeing a victory to the end.   so we have had little success keeping fans in the seats for a post game ceremony.   that makes me sad as these student athletes deserve the attention for the work they put in while at slu and the fun they provided for us.   so i agree with highmark.  pre-game has always been my preference.  

Old guy and AGB91 like this

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I hate after game senior night.  hell a good portion of our fans wont even stay till the end of the game, preferring to "beat the traffic" to seeing a victory to the end.   so we have had little success keeping fans in the seats for a post game ceremony.   that makes me sad as these student athletes deserve the attention for the work they put in while at slu and the fun they provided for us.   so i agree with highmark.  pre-game has always been my preference.  

Counter point to "beat the traffic" - our crowd seems to grow by a thousand or so from the tip-off to first timeout. We have a very late arriving crowd.

-after the game makes a lot of sense to me, avoid all of the emotion of the night impacting the game, especially at the start, it can be a much longer ceremony for proper recognition and gives the kids a chance to speak to the crowd/their family/the program/the world

-whenever such a ceremony is held there will be folks that don't stay for it