The Valley

billiCAN

Just my opinion. With Loyola moving to the A10, I don't think the MVC could have done better than adding Murray St....plus UIC is a good program. As a college BB fan, I have been to a lot of MVC tournaments and I think the Valley is an important part of STL sports culture. Murray and UIC will help continue that.

10 minutes ago, billiCAN said:

Just my opinion. With Loyola moving to the A10, I don't think the MVC could have done better than adding Murray St....plus UIC is a good program. As a college BB fan, I have been to a lot of MVC tournaments and I think the Valley is an important part of STL sports culture. Murray and UIC will help continue that.

How is that relevant?

On 2/19/2022 at 10:43 PM, billiCAN said:

UIC does not have a good basketball program.  The Valley just purely wanted to stay relevant in the Chicago market. 

I can’t remember how long the Valley is committed to STL for its tourney but with a little more eastern tilt to the league, do they try and pull towards Nashville down the line?

Be interesting to see that…

45 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

UIC does not have a good basketball program.  The Valley just purely wanted to stay relevant in the Chicago market. 

I can’t remember how long the Valley is committed to STL for its tourney but with a little more eastern tilt to the league, do they try and pull towards Nashville down the line?

Might be good for baseball. They have the house that Curtis Granderson built right off the 290 expressway. Could be a great spot for the Valley tournament.

On 2/19/2022 at 11:43 PM, billiCAN said:

Here's the Conference Shuffle thread:

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I read that their athletics spend puts them top 3 in the valley. There's definitely upside there

The article I read listed their Athletic Department budget at $20 million.  I have no idea what that is supposed to include, but to me it was a big number.

46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The article I read listed their Athletic Department budget at $20 million.  I have no idea what that is supposed to include, but to me it was a big number.

I think it is partly having a lot of teams, partly being a state school, and partly being located in the city of Chicago where things are just expensive. 

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

I read that their athletics spend puts them top 3 in the valley. There's definitely upside there

I should have clarified, they’re not a good addition for hoops. Good for soccer, baseball, softball, and track and field. They’ve just really struggled to do anything with their revenue sport of basketball though. It feels a lot more like they were added to not lose the Chicago media market than anything else. 

12 hours ago, Lando Griffin said:

The contract is through 2024 with an option for 25.

Edited by bills16
https://mvc-sports.com/news/2019/10/31/arch-madness-mvc-extends-agreement-to-host-state-farm-mvc-tournament-at-enterprise-center-in-st-louis.aspx

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-with Elgin retired moving the tourney could be a way for the new director to make their mark. I wonder if they could do that unilaterally or if the member schools would have a say

Could be a great way for a new Commissioner to lose his job as well. Moving it doesn't really make sense.

8 hours ago, bills16 said:

The contract is through 2024 with an option for 25.

I understand they are locked in for a bit here in STL, but down the road maybe they rotate spots in.

The tourney does so fantastic here and it would be a shame to lose it.  But it is worth noting the conference is drifting slowly to the east of St Louis, which could open a door.

5 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

I understand they are locked in for a bit here in STL, but down the road maybe they rotate spots in.

The tourney does so fantastic here and it would be a shame to lose it.  But it is worth noting the conference is drifting slowly to the east of St Louis, which could open a door.

The tournament being in St. Louis doesn’t make as much sense geographically as it did when Creighton and Wichita St. were in the conference.

Lando Griffin likes this

6 minutes ago, Compton said:

Actually, Murray St., Belmont, and UIC are all closer to St. Louis than either of those schools.

Yes but they dragged the conference West.  Now the conference is most east of the Mississippi. 

We have too good of a Sports Commission to let it go but I can see a rotation being talked about. 

35 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Yes but they dragged the conference West.  Now the conference is most east of the Mississippi. 

We have too good of a Sports Commission to let it go but I can see a rotation being talked about. 

And the conference is headquartered here. Chicago's the only alternative that seems like a legitimate option. But that's probably less of the case with a new and worse program representing the conference there.

Just because the conference is adding teams east of the river doesn't mean anything.  If you are any of those schools and those already east StL is still closer than Chicago or Nashville or even Indy for most of the schools in the Valley.  Moving the tourney makes no sense but people often do dumb things.