GDT: @ Davidson

8 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

The commitment to winning and Chaifetz Arena didn't exist then, so it was much harder (God bless Grawer) to do that. Not now.

Yup. I think we finally have the tools and buy-in from the university folks to let us break through. I am a hopeful person at heart, and that usually lets me down with my fandoms. 

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Yup. I think we finally have the tools and buy-in from the university folks to let us break through. I am a hopeful person at heart, and that usually lets me down with my fandoms. 

How many other A10 programs have an arena and facilities like ours (current)?  I’m legitimately asking.. I don’t get out much. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

How many other A10 programs have an arena and facilities like ours (current)?  I’m legitimately asking.. I don’t get out much. 

Once soccer and champions center are finished, not one (kudos to the the AD for securing the private funds). Currently Dayton and VCU have comparable practice facilities, locker rooms, and arenas/stadiums. 

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

There's a lot of danger for a school when they start rifling through coaches quickly. Instability is not a good look for recruits coming in.

Who you hire is what matters first and foremost, not just that you don't like the current guy. We had a lot of frustration when we fired Grawer and Soderberg.. we followed those up with hires of Charlie Spoonhour and Rick Majerus. It can go well, but you have to hire the right guy.

Who is that guy? How will they do better than Ford? That matters.

Until then "warm seat" is just media speak. It doesn't matter. You either retain or remove. You're just making potential recruits nervous to come to the program if we pull the coaching staff out from under them.

I don’t disagree about the stability thing at all. But SLU is a solid program with financial backing behind.  Ford has been here a while.  There isn’t any stability questions, but we aren’t even close to that.

Completely disagree it’s media seat.  He can be told to shake up his assistant coaches or whatever, basically the same thing. 

3 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Refs talking to fans now?

In no way do I believe the refs are why the Bills lost. They got out played, quit, and got their butts kicked. 

that said this is one of the most crazy things I have ever seen. Especially considering 2 minutes later Ford got T’d up.

There also is no way the Bills should have gone 26 minutes without shooting a free throw.

rgbilliken likes this

22 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Once soccer and champions center are finished, not one (kudos to the the AD for securing the private funds). Currently Dayton and VCU have comparable practice facilities, locker rooms, and arenas/stadiums. 

SLU’s facilities are top notch.  The money outside of Chafietz is starting to flow…

Sure, the faciltities appear to be top notch.  God knows they are a lot better than when we went to school there.  West Pine Gym.  Musial Field.  No on-campus facilities whtsoever.  And now you have Hermann.  The softball/baseball complex.  Chaifetz.  O'Loughlin.  Still ain't running away from the rest of tyhe East Coast Bus League.  Serious question --- why not?

I am not despondent over today.  I too didn't count on a win.  Winning at Duquesne and La Salle?  Sure.  Davidson?  Not yet.  Still remains to be seen at Richmond and Rhode Island.  I have never worried about the NET or the bubble.  We aren't going there.  We need to win in DC; I've said that for most of February.  What is still key is a top four finish in order to do that.  That's the reward; that's the journey.

CBFan likes this

10 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

I don’t disagree about the stability thing at all. But SLU is a solid program with financial backing behind.  Ford has been here a while.  There isn’t any stability questions, but we aren’t even close to that.

Completely disagree it’s media seat.  He can be told to shake up his assistant coaches or whatever, basically the same thing. 

No, you trust him to hire the coaching staff he wants. If he can't win and can't coach you get rid of him and replace him with someone who can.

Do you really think the players are that focused on assistants and trainers? Why do you think we pay the HC two million dollars? Noone else is making that money.

You want more coachable players? Get a coach who brings them in. Majerus recruited players and brought assistants who fit what he wanted to do and how he wanted to play. Ford does the same. If you don't like the result, go where the focus is and stop blaming assistants and trainers. They follow the directive of the HC.

2 hours ago, NH said:

I just wish there was a camp that was more defined as: Ford is our coach, he has done well, and he needs to do more.

This is the camp I am in.  I think he is generally an average in-game tactician. In some matchups that becomes a liability.  I don't believe that he "sucks" or should be fired.  The overall state of the program is under his watch is very solid and should not be taken for granted.  

CenHudDude likes this

25 minutes ago, Neighbor Dave said:

This is the camp I am in.  I think he is generally an average in-game tactician. In some matchups that becomes a liability.  I don't believe that he "sucks" or should be fired.  The overall state of the program is under his watch is very solid and should not be taken for granted.  

I’m here too, but I also think he will do more. Ford + champions center should = recruiting dominance unlike we’ve ever seen. 

1 hour ago, Matty Light said:

This. How many times has the Arch Madness winner been a team that catches a heater at the right time and not necessarily the best team?

Not sure if anyone on here is watching the ESPN documentary on the ACC tournament, but back in the day, you could just toss out regular season accolades - the winner of the tournament went to the Dance. It was crazy back in the day - we can catch fire and cash a check to the tourney in Capital One Arena.

3 hours ago, NH said:

I get frustrated that every loss turns into a referendum on whether we have the right coach. And I also get annoyed that we always seem to get divided into two camps: either Ford sucks or you think Ford is above all criticism (I have been accused of falling into the camp that apparently thinks Ford can do no wrong).

When you lose 3 of 4 and get drubbed in a huge game, the person most responsible is the head coach. This isn’t the first time that we’ve failed to show up for a big game. Travis deserves criticism.

I think at the same time he’s done a pretty good job this year. He’s not on the hot seat, he won’t be fired anytime soon. But I’m also cool with people demanding more from him. I just wish there was a camp that was more defined as: Ford is our coach, he has done well, and he needs to do more. Maybe that’s just the nature of sports discourse that such a view becomes impossible

Reread this thread (and others GDTs from this season) and you will see a sizable group with that position exactly. I haven’t seen anyone in this thread who demanded Ford’s firing. Many people, including myself, think he is underachieving and needs to figure it out.

26 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I’m here too, but I also think he will do more. Ford + champions center should = recruiting dominance unlike we’ve ever seen. 

Serious question: Why do you think the Champion’s Center will improve our men’s bball recruiting? I view it as more of a game changer for our other sports. Hopefully you’re right, but let’s remember, recruiting has been consistently strong for a while.

On this topic, I think we need to improve our student-athlete’s housing to round out what we can offer recruits.

Whether Ford is a great/good/mediocre/bad coach had nothing to do with today’s loss. We just got beat by a buzz saw. When a team shoots like that at home you are going to lose  This game is not a definition of our program. Davidson would have beaten a lot of teams today  The state of our program is not defined by today  

AGB91 and A10Ref like this

4 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Crean was a great assistant under Jud and Tom at MSU- and a good mid major coach - like a “AAAA ballplayer” who can rake at AAA Durham but can’t pick up the rotation of the ball at the big league level. 

Crean will be out in Athens by season’s end, so he will be available. Four years, solid recruits and zero to show for it will get you shown the door in the SEC.

Yep...Crean will be toast after this season!

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

$2.5 million.  Highest in the A10.

image.png

I'm asking as an Alum and a long time Billiken fan who does not live in St. Louis and haven't for years. Is your post referencing Travis Ford's salary. If so I can only think of one thing to say OMG!!!

11 hours ago, Neighbor Dave said:

I would be in this camp to.  

A10Ref likes this