GDT: Beat the Bonnies Part 1

SLU_Nick

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Around the 8:00 mark against Dayton when they had clawed back in he hit a huge shot.

I mean we were up 6 points and had been leading the entire game. I don't disagree with you and I love how Gibson has played this year but I'm talking about gotta make it to keep us in the game or big momentum shots with like one or two minutes left. Not worth harping about. 

Truth is he's a shooter. Sometimes there's just streaks, he could go 6/8, he could go 2/8. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I really thought this team had found their identity and had their mojo going.  This one stings.

Tip of the cap to the Bonnies.  They absolutely needed this game to turn their season around and they got it done. 

Yuri driving into the trees and threading the needle to our bigs has been a big part of our offense but the Bonnie's were having none of it.  Jimerson couldn't buy a basket and Nesbitt was held scoreless.  We'll need one of our best performances of the year to get the split in Olean.  

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Tip of the cap to the Bonnies.  They absolutely needed this game to turn their season around and they got it done. 

Yuri driving into the trees and threading the needle to our bigs has been a big part of our offense but the Bonnie's were having none of it.  Jimerson couldn't buy a basket and Nesbitt was held scoreless.  We'll need one of our best performances of the year to get the split in Olean.  

Bonnies played a great game, and the Bills didn’t. Tough to win that way. Mark Schmidt pushed the right buttons after the TJ dunk.

Tonight was such a lost opportunity.   So much on the line before a huge crowd and we can't get it done.  The 16-0 run at home simply cannot happen.  I saw nothing tonight to make me think we'll win the rematch.  Not gonna talk about any individual because I'm sure everyone on that team is hurting bad right now.  That was a long ride home.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Lot of blame to go around tonight. It’s coming down to DC for us. Win there or it’s NIT or next year. Man, Gibby disappointed tonight. He could have won this game for us. Hate to put an L on one guy but hit 2 or 3 of those critical shots we’d call you Mr Clutch. This is not the first game we’ve needed him to hit a big shot and he’s missed. By my count it’s the 5th. 

I feel for Gibby.   His shooting percentage in these kind of situations must be under 20%.  One day he will break through.  He's too good a shooter not to.

Will be interesting to see what adjustments we make for round 2. Bonnie’s don’t scare me offensively, but if they can make it a half court game where each team is just running sets against each other then we’re in trouble: 

5 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I really thought this team had found their identity and had their mojo going.  This one stings.

The silver lining, Doc, if there is one is this: at least there’s time to right the ship.

imagine if this game was played in the A-10 tournament and we were left with an entire offseason of asking questions and scratching our heads…

thank god there’s time to stop the bleeding and figure it out. But getting the proverbial Olean Split on Monday is going to be an absolute chore. I think we can do it, but we have to secure the basketball and play our style of ball. 

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I feel for Gibby.   His shooting percentage in these kind of situations must be under 20%.  One day he will break through.  He's too good a shooter not to.

Finished with 2-9 from 3pts.. that’s umm… not good.  And oddly enough, I didn’t leave my seat at halftime and watched them shoot around after they got back from the locker room, and he didn’t miss a shot.  5 or 6 from deep.. perfect swish.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Finished with 2-9 from 3pts.. that’s umm… not good.  And oddly enough, I didn’t leave my seat at halftime and watched them shoot around after they got back from the locker room, and he didn’t miss a shot.  5 or 6 from deep.. perfect swish.

I think Jimerson’s shot was adversely affected by absorbing that elbow and resultant bloody nose, that resulted in 2 puddles of blood on the floor. Jimerson tried to play for a time with cotton in his nostril. The TV analyst from Columbia said it’s hard to play with that in the nostril. 

MB73 and brianstl like this

5 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

It's mental.  Thatch has more clutch threes this season than one of the greatest three-point shooters in Billiken history.  Jimerson just needs to see one of these late game shots go down.  

just watched the espn top ten from yesterday.   no hargrove.   there was a nice soccer kick into a wide open goal from about 30 feet though as well as a couple of hockey goals that seemed quite tame.

what b.s. 

20 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

just watched the espn top ten from yesterday.   no hargrove.   there was a nice soccer kick into a wide open goal from about 30 feet though as well as a couple of hockey goals that seemed quite tame.

what b.s. 

ESPN2 had lousy, biased Eastern Block announcers. At least these two were actually on site. What does a Delaware Blue Hen and an Ivy Leaguer know about the A10? The Ivy Leaguer overcompensated for SLU late in the game like a ref with a disproportionate number of calls for the opponent earlier. 

You’ve gotta love the pronouncement of good no call with 2 puddles of blood literally on the floor. The WWE would be proud. Raw!

29 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I think Jimerson’s shot was adversely affected by absorbing that elbow and resultant bloody nose, that resulted in 2 puddles of blood on the floor. Jimerson tried to play for a time with cotton in his nostril. The TV analyst from Columbia said it’s hard to play with that in the nostril. 

Surprised more people aren't mentioning this, another big key... Bully ballers got out-bullied, got to hit back Monday.

42 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

ESPN2 had lousy, biased Eastern Block announcers. At least these two were actually on site. What does a Delaware Blue Hen and an Ivy Leaguer know about the A10? The Ivy Leaguer overcompensated for SLU late in the game like a ref with a disproportionate number of calls for the opponent earlier. 

You’ve gotta love the pronouncement of good no call with 2 puddles of blood literally on the floor. The WWE would be proud. Raw!

Just because you take an elbow it isn’t a foul. I agree with the officials on that call. 

Despite the points this was one of Yuri’s worst games. He had a couple of turnovers credited to him due to dropped passes but even with that his intensity on the ball seemed to be lacking.

Bloody nose or not Gibson has to shoot better

Nesbit’s continued lack of offensive contributions need to end. 

Clean Gene from the WWE would have been right at home on that ESPN2 telecast last night, either in place of the Ivy Leaguer or as the sideline reporter.  There was blood, there was gore, there was Bonnie caused mayhem, ref whistles swallowed, there were SLU fans defending the immune A10 East Coast bus league refs, supporting the Ivy Leaguer, there were SLU fans ripping the refs. Alas Clean Gene is among the dear departed. Clean Gene could nod his head with the best of them. 

But surely little St. Bona, despite being lost as it is in the woods, can find a Clean Gene replacement for the stream in 3 days for Monday’s rematch near Olean. 

WWW, Raw!  There will be blood!

We don't run a single play for Nesbitt and Hargrove is the new Jimerson ... go stand in the corner until a shot comes your way.  

I thought all in all, Collins failed last night.  Sure he scored.  Mostly at hero ball time.  Sure he assisted.  But he was -1 in assist-to-turnovers.  And he never had a clue how to attack the match up zone.  And that's the part that's on the former point guard from Kentucky.  

RamJAMTIME likes this

Just one point I have to make. Jimerson got a bad blow to the nose early in the game and was bleeding, apparently a lot because he got an anterior nose pack applied right away. He played with nose pack the whole game and did poorly. I want to make several points.

1. We do not know the extent of his nose injury. Anterior nose packs keep the bleeding from going out of the nose, but the bleeding (presumably not a large amount of bleeding) can pool inside the nasal cavity and go out the back way. He may have been  swallowing blood while he played. This would interfere with play. Just FYI, really severe nose trauma with bleeding may require both anterior and posterior packs, the posterior pack requires anesthesia and an ENT for application, it is not applied in situ. If he had required one he would have been out of the game.

2. I am sure he had some and probably significant degree of pain, particularly if there was a fracture involved.

3. I remember Goodwin having a nose injury and playing poorly after surgical repair. He also used a plastic fact/nose protector for a long time that also interfered with his game.

The point I am trying to make is that anyone that plays a game with a fresh injury in place does not deserve criticism from "fans." He did the best he could. He is a very good player and deserves our respect for doing what he did last night.

MB73 and Bay Area Billiken like this

On a positive note, I'm pretty sure everyone won the pre game and time out games. I've never seen that before! The woman who did the layup/free-throw/double three pointer challenge was especially impressive. I think they widened the holes on the putting challenge, though, because I've never seen anyone make that.

1 minute ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

On a positive note, I'm pretty sure everyone won the pre game and time out games. I've never seen that before! The woman who did the layup/free-throw/double three pointer challenge was especially impressive. I think they widened the holes on the putting challenge, though, because I've never seen anyone make that.

Ya they were wider at the Dayton game.

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Clean Gene from the WWE would have been right at home on that ESPN2 telecast last night, either in place of the Ivy Leaguer or as the sideline reporter.  There was blood, there was gore, there was Bonnie caused mayhem, ref whistles swallowed, there were SLU fans defending the immune A10 East Coast bus league refs, supporting the Ivy Leaguer, there were SLU fans ripping the refs. Alas Clean Gene is among the dear departed. Clean Gene could nod his head with the best of them. 

But surely little St. Bona, despite being lost as it is in the woods, can find a Clean Gene replacement for the stream in 3 days for Monday’s rematch near Olean. 

WWW, Raw!  There will be blood!

Off topic, but it's Mean Gene right? Maybe I'm missing an inside joke.