GDT: Beat the Bonnies Part 1

SLU_Nick

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brought three mizzou guys to the UD game, they had so much fun they said if I ever have tickets again to let them know.  They were excited when I told them I have extra tickets for tonight. 

big crowds will do that. 

BilliKat likes this

54 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Brought three mizzou guys to the UD game, they had so much fun they said if I ever have tickets again to let them know.  They were excited when I told them I have extra tickets for tonight. 

big crowds will do that. 

Watching a better product than Mizzou basketball will do that too, lol. Love to hear it though.

billiken_roy and brianstl like this

53 minutes ago, wgstl said:

big crowds will do that. 

There is something to be said about an appealing color scheme in an arena as well. White with blue trim is just easy on your eyes. Mizzou: yellow gold and black? MSU: maroon, gray, and black? It just leads to an ackward environment. Oddly dark. I bet they cannot explain why they liked Chaiffetz so much. Took me years to realize what about it is so appealing.

I am hoping for a sell out but it will be probably be around 7500.  I am hoping for some extra fair weather fans to jump on the 6 game winning streak bandwagon that welcomes all.

Play defense, under 10 turnovers and rebound and the night is the Billikens, scoring for our team is a given now.

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am hoping for a sell out but it will be probably be around 7500.  I am hoping for some extra fair weather fans to jump on the 6 game winning streak bandwagon that welcomes all.

Play defense, under 10 turnovers and rebound and the night is the Billikens, scoring for our team is a given now.

It sounds like they keep releasing more student tickets, so hopefully we'll get a good student turnout.

10 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

It sounds like they keep releasing more student tickets, so hopefully we'll get a good student turnout.

The student section last Saturday was as good as I've ever seen it. I wish they turned out every game, I really can't imagine why they don't. 

Crewsorlose likes this

I am unfortunately unable to make it… and I’m really not happy about it… but my dad will be taking two of my nephews 8-10 that are the perfect age to begin a life long billiken fandom. 
Im wearing my air Jordair shirt so should be good to go!

get ‘em Billies!!

CBFan and cgeldmacher like this

4 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

The student section last Saturday was as good as I've ever seen it. I wish they turned out every game, I really can't imagine why they don't. 

Been imagining this for years 

Throwing this out here now.  The Bonnies are not called for fouls.  They have the second fewest whistles called against them in the Nation.  We all kow they play 5 heavy plus 2 off the bench.  They have had 2 DQ's all season. We have had 11 DQ's.  It is what it is.  It is what is going to happen tonight.  We will all deal with it. 

CBFan likes this

19 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Majority of students are casual fans that only go for name value opponents. Even if we got hot there’s definitely a portion of the student body that wouldn’t know bc they only check scores in passing. It’s hard for us to fathom because we’re hardcore fans. 

If we could get a couple tournament appearances in a row I think that would make a difference. That would grab attention.

2 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

Students have today off. Some have left town….

Won’t make a difference. A lot of students already have Fridays off. I didn’t even realize that today was a “well-being day” because I haven’t had class on a Friday in 2 years. With that being said, our best student turnouts are always Friday nights. And based on the way we beat Dayton in front of a packed house… the student section will be full tonight. 

52 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Games are the perfect pre party. Especially on a Friday night.

Go to the game, have a few beers,  then hit up some bars or a party. 

(At 40+ years old going to a bar or party at 10PM sounds awful. At 20+ years old it sounds like a perfect night.)

40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Throwing this out here now.  The Bonnies are not called for fouls.  They have the second fewest whistles called against them in the Nation.  We all kow they play 5 heavy plus 2 off the bench.  They have had 2 DQ's all season. We have had 11 DQ's. 

Do DQ's mean foul outs?  If so, we've only had 3 players foul out at home this year, 2 of those being Nesbitt. 

58 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Throwing this out here now.  The Bonnies are not called for fouls.  They have the second fewest whistles called against them in the Nation.  We all kow they play 5 heavy plus 2 off the bench.  They have had 2 DQ's all season. We have had 11 DQ's.  It is what it is.  It is what is going to happen tonight.  We will all deal with it. 

Throwing this out there now. If the refs suck I will b**** about it. 
If the fouls end up 28 on the Bills and 12 on the Bonnie’s I will b**** about it.

45 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We've got a lot of practice playing against teams that aren't called for fouls because the refs basically didn't call anything on LaSalle or Duquesne during the 2nd halves of those blowout road wins.  I assume they had dinner reservations after the games.

Actually the last time SLU had a foul discrepancy in their favor was 1/15 vs Fordham.  The last 7 games SLU has been called for more fouls than their opponents.

26 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

We've got a lot of practice playing against teams that aren't called for fouls because the refs basically didn't call anything on LaSalle or Duquesne during the 2nd halves of those blowout road wins.  I assume they had dinner reservations after the games.

Actually the last time SLU had a foul discrepancy in their favor was 1/15 vs Fordham.  The last 7 games SLU has been called for more fouls than their opponents.

Expanding on this.  Here is the foul discrepancy each game.  + number = more fouls called on opponent, - number = more fouls called on SLU. (ref names)

11/9/21 Central Ark: +2 (Greg Moyer, Ed Crenshaw, Matt Rafferty)

11/10/21 Harris Stowe: -6 (John Floyd, Alfred Smith, Andy O'Brien)

11/12/21 Eastern Ill: +1 (Chance Moore, Tyler Kumpf, Rusty Phillips)

11/16/21 @Memphis: +3 (Bert Smith, Terry Wymer, Anthony Jordan)

11/20/21 Mercer: +7 (?)

11/23/21 N-Illinois St: +3 (John Floyd, Alfred Smith)

11/24/21 N-SFA: +4 (?)

11/30/21 @Boise St: -3 (Eric Curry, Randy McCall, Mike Reed)

12/4/21 UAB: +6 (Jeb Hartness, Brooks Wells, Bart Lenox)

12/7/21 Belmont: even (Gerry Pollard, Brent Hampton, Chance Moore)

12/11/21 BC: -2 (Tony Anderson, Bill Covington Jr, Jeff Pon)

12/18/21 Auburn: +6 (Ron Groover, Joe Lindsay, Jeb Hartness)

1/8/22 Iona: +1 (Michael Luckie, Raymond Styons, Andy O'Brien)

Non-conference average: +1.69

1/2/22 Richmond: -1 (Pat Driscoll, Mike Roberts, Lamar Simpson)

1/11/22 @Dayton: -7 (John Gaffney, Ray Natili, Brian O'Connell)

1/15/22 Fordham: +1 (Jeff Pon, Mark Schnur, Jemel Spearman)

1/20/22 @UMass: -7 (Brian Dorsey, Brian O'Connell, Clarence Armstrong)

1/23/22 UMass: -1 (Kipp Kissinger, Terry Wymer, Brooks Wells)

1/26/22 GW: -3 (Amy Bonner, Wally Rutecki, Jeff Pon)

1/29/22 @Duq: -7 (Ron Tyburski, Les Jones, Trey Styons)

2/2/22 @Mason: -11 (Joe Lindsay, Greg Evans, Bill Covington Jr)

2/5/22 Dayton: -2 (?)

2/8/22 @LaSalle: -1 (Pat Driscoll, Tim Clougherty, Mark Schnur)

A10 conference average: -3.9

Non-con average vs A10 average = -5.59

SLU actually played a tougher overall NC schedule than their A10 schedule so far according to KenPom

This is a totally imperfect measurement.  I don't think fouls should be even in each game & refs trying to keep them even is dumb/bad.  There are also obviously game where we or an opponent might be fouling late try to get back in the game which skew the numbers.  I'd imagine that evens out over a large enough sample and the difference between non-conference vs conference fouls is pretty stark.

Edit: adding officials names to data set.  I was thinking some explanation could be different refs used by the A10, but there appears to be some overlap w non-con & virtually no consistency game to game.

Theories:

1. The ref conspiracy against SLU is bigger than I thought
  2. This is just a random thing with so much noise it is meaningless
  3. SLU has started playing more aggressively / physical during A10 play leading to more fouls.
  4. A10 opponents have SLU scouted better & are avoiding/drawing more fouls than the NC opponents because of it
  5. Refs are easily influenced by fans leading to a HC advantage.  More road games during A10 play = worse foul discrepancy for SLU.
  6. SLU (or certain players on SLU) has developed a reputation of being physical / foul prone as the season has gone on.  Refs are calling more on them because of that reputation.
Edited by RUBillsFan

19 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I bet there'll be 8-9K in attendance. Hopefully no late arrivals as there's not much of an excuse for being late to an 8pm tip, but it happened at a 1pm saturday game so I can't expect too much.

People are late arriving - they still just think that you can show up 15 minutes before the game and get in on time.  Not true this year.

billiken_roy likes this

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

If something happens a lot of the time, can we really be that disgruntled when it happens again?  Especially with different refs and different opponents. 

I try not be Charles Foster Kane who gives two headline choices, 'Kane Wins' or 'Fraud at the Polls.'  

I don't think there are secret zebra meetings trying to figure out how to hose the Bills, without being too obvious about it.