GDT: @ George Mason.

28 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

This is why I sometimes question The Coach. :47 left in first OT, Bills coming out of a timeout, tie game. Get a shot off in 10-12 seconds and get the ball back. Tomfoolery ensues, Bills turn it over at the :27 second mark. Bills make the stop and all’s well that ends well, I suppose, but the clock management was beyond terrible. 

I disagree 47 seconds left, what if you don’t have a good shot in 10-12 seconds? Do you force it anyway? The opponent can then take 20 ish seconds do and you have another 10-12 seconds. Of course if I have the right shot in 12 seconds, I take it, but in general I’d rather get 1 good shot and defend rather than 2 not great shots. 

CBFan and dlarry like this

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I disagree 47 seconds left, what if you don’t have a good shot in 10-12 seconds? Do you force it anyway? The opponent can then take 20 ish seconds do and you have another 10-12 seconds. Of course if I have the right shot in 12 seconds, I take it, but in general I’d rather get 1 good shot and defend rather than 2 not great shots. 

If the coach can’t design a play to get you a good shot in 10-12 seconds, you don’t have a skill set that good coaches have. Designing last second shots is part of the job description.

Of course, things can go wrong when dealing with 20 year olds, and the best designed plays can go to s**te, but I didn’t see any deliberate attempt to treat it as a 2 for 1 opportunity. That’s my beef. 

10 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

If the coach can’t design a play to get you a good shot in 10-12 seconds, you don’t have a skill set that good coaches have. Designing last second shots is part of the job description.

Of course, things can go wrong when dealing with 20 year olds, and the best designed plays can go to s**te, but I didn’t see any deliberate attempt to treat it as a 2 for 1 opportunity. That’s my beef. 

In a game where both of your post threats have fouled out and your leading scorer is way off, what's the possibility of a designed play succeeding?  

For those not on Twitter, Chapley does a nice post game post game "Spaces" show [Spaces is a twitter feature], where he and others discuss the game.

It will be on Twitter until tomorrow night.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

We aren’t going to do this with Jimerson again on here, are we?

Sorry, I haven’t been in those conversations.  

I am talking about tonight, he was off.  

He’s our best scorer, and possibly our best player, but today he was not there.  

I’m sure he’ll be back as our best scorer next game.  I’m just saying he was off and needed a break.  Not sure what you’re referring to.  I’ve been on this board for 20 years and generally agree with you. 

Thoughts from the Front Row of EagleBank Arena:

1. That is a tough place to play. Their band is lit

2. Nesbitt is an absolute savage. He nails a 3 then stares down a heckler for a solid minute

3. Freddy T won that game last night. Oduro was near unstoppable, but Fred bodied his ass late

4. Make your free throws kids

5. Nothing like being on the road waving goodbye at the fans.

Gritty win.

8 hours ago, drkelsey55 said:

It was only 14

oh well then i take everything i said back ford is coach of the year.  

8 hours ago, drkelsey55 said:

It was only 14

7 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Agree.

Also, checking the play by play, Yuri scored 14 of our final 19 points and assisted on 2 more. Stone-cold stud.

Schasz likes this

26 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Agree.

Also, checking the play by play, Yuri scored 14 of our final 19 points and assisted on 2 more. Stone-cold stud.

The assists are as natural as breathing to him but the scoring is not.  It's a challenge he's accepted.  Yuri's tried and failed many times this year to be the closer we needed.  That's why seeing him succeed in such a monumental way is so satisfying. His teammates and coaches were happier for him than he was.

Unfortunately, the celebration will have to be short-lived because an even bigger conference game looms on Saturday.  Dayton seems to have our number defensively and the young Flyers are playing their best basketball of the year.  I hope Gibby doesn't get too down on himself for last night.  We're going to need him.

slufanskip, slufan13 and CBFan like this

guy in the front row telling Nesbitt to "shoot!! Shoot!!".... drains it

stares guy down for a few seconds.... 

next timeout... Nesbitt walks back across the court to stare down the fan again for what seemed like 5 minutes.

he is now in my top 5 favorite Billikens of all time. Absolute lunatic 

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Sorry I was just stating the fact that our largest lead was 14 not 16.

17 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

next timeout... Nesbitt walks back across the court to stare down the fan again for what seemed like 5 minutes.

I could hear that guy the entire game on ESPN plus.

Every time the Billikens stopped Mason he would yell SLU fouled.

When SLU got fouled I heard him yell to call that foul on both teams.

Blue font, I guess he intimidated the refs by the way the game was called.

29 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Lot of seriously bad overreacting in this thread but it’s a GDT. 

Anyone complaining about Gibson, what is you doing?

I mean he was terrible last night outside of the first 10 minutes. He'll be perfectly fine but he was bad yesterday

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

He didn't get to play for 10 minutes yesterday after that first 10 minutes. He was fine yesterday.

I am maybe the biggest Gibson fan on this board. The refs took him out of his rhythm. He basically sat for 35 minutes of real time. It's hard to recover from that so I think he has a more than valid excuse. But because of those factors, he was bad offensively last night. I did think his defense was really good and has been all season. For all the talk about his offensive game taking a huge boost (which is valid), his defensive improvement has been just as good. He'll never be a total defensive stopper but he's more than capable out there now.

Crewsorlose and bauman like this

45 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Nesbitt is already one of the funniest Billikens of all time 

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He didn't get to play for 10 minutes yesterday after that first 10 minutes. He was fine yesterday.

3-14 from the field is not fine. 

The phantom charge took him out of the game but there is nothing wrong with stating he had a rough game.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

It was a tough game but the criticism over it is out of line IMO. He'll be back.

He will definitely be back. He’s the best scorer on the team. Even great scorers have bad nights. 
It’s great to get a win even when Jimerson has an off night.