Transfers After Season

cgeldmacher

In the past, SLU has avoided a problem that other A-10 teams have had to deal with and that is a large number of transfers after a season.  I am concerned that this might change this coming off season.  The reason I think this offseason could be different are varied.  I have seen more displays of dissent by players during games directed at coaches this season than ever before. There have been times where players almost seem as if their having to be held back from confronting coaches by other coaches or players.  There have been concerning posts on Twitter that may be nothing or may be a sign of some discontent.  I'm also concerned that some players may just see a lack of minutes, especially if Perkins comes back, and decide the grass is greener for them elsewhere.  I just feel as if we have dodged this bullet for too long and it may finally hit us.

Does anyone else see the things I am seeing?  Is anyone else more concerned about this offseason than those in the past like I am?  If not, let me know so that I can hopefully put my mind at ease.  Maybe I'm just imagining it.

I would be shocked if Strickland and Lorentsson did not transfer as I can see no reason for them to stay (assuming playing time is the determining factor), why would either play more next year than they have this year? I would not be surprised either way with Williams. I don't see any other obvious transfers (maybe Hargrove due to his reduced playing time) but as you point out there may be tensions between players and coaches and other stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Haven't we generally had an unwritten rule not to speculate on transfers out? Just out of respect for the players that chose to be here.

This. Just hold off until end of season. I think the portal had something like 1300 D1 players enter last year and like 600 found new D1 homes. My numbers may be off but what they prove is the grass isn’t always greener and players who declare stand a good chance of landing in a vacant lot. 

Anytime something new morphs from the established process it takes a few cycles for it to settle down to what the situation will be long term.  As soon as players find that their situation is does not actually improve they will be able to factor that in to their decision process.  Instead of just assuming they will be able to upgrade their status they will begin to see that they may just have to settle for a lesser environment and that it will impact their decisions.

16 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Haven't we generally had an unwritten rule not to speculate on transfers out? Just out of respect for the players that chose to be here.

Gotcha.  It just concerns me based upon some things I have seen.  Is there a way for me to shut it down, since I created it?

My thoughts

Collins - Good as gone. He has set all the SLU records possible. Time for him to set Big 10 records and compete for a national championship. He'll get the credit he deserves.

Jimerson - You have to assume he'll be at Virginia at this time next year as the leading scorer for one of the best teams in the ACC. If not Virginia, then Duke I guess

Okoro - Yes he already transferred once but I see him as a natural replacement for Cockburn at Illinois next year. He is gone.

Nesbitt - Again already transferred once but he transferred "up" from Memphis to SLU and now will move "up" again from SLU to Louisville when he follows Ford after Ford takes the Louisville job next month. It was a great one year.

Hargrove - Actually see him at Florida next year. They always have a guy with hair like him. Another local guy gone.

Thatch - He'll get his phd from Stanford if I had to guess. He'll be a role player in the PAC12. It was a great run with SLU.

Traore - Has clearly shown he can play. Seems like a prime candidate for a late transfer to a power 5 school. I loved his dance after that dunk but he is gone.

The others will probably stay but very well could be gone.

MattyMo213 and rgbilliken like this

Just now, slufan13 said:

My thoughts

Collins - Good as gone. He has set all the SLU records possible. Time for him to set Big 10 records and compete for a national championship. He'll get the credit he deserves.

Jimerson - You have to assume he'll be at Virginia at this time next year as the leading scorer for one of the best teams in the ACC. If not Virginia, then Duke I guess

Okoro - Yes he already transferred once but I see him as a natural replacement for Cockburn at Illinois next year. He is gone.

Nesbitt - Again already transferred once but he transferred "up" from Memphis to SLU and now will move "up" again from SLU to Louisville when he follows Ford after Ford takes the Louisville job next month. It was a great one year.

Hargrove - Actually see him at Florida next year. They always have a guy with hair like him. Another local guy gone.

Thatch - He'll get his phd from Stanford if I had to guess. He'll be a role player in the PAC12. It was a great run with SLU.

Traore - Has clearly shown he can play. Seems like a prime candidate for a late transfer to a power 5 school. I loved his dance after that dunk but he is gone.

no blue font?

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

My thoughts

Does Williams head to that school in Illinois that scores likes 140 a night 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

No. Athletic competitions are highly emotional. Any red flags you may have seen or described will absolutely lack appropriate context.

And the types of things being referenced happen every year 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

No. Athletic competitions are highly emotional. Any red flags you may have seen or described will absolutely lack appropriate context.

Ford himself is very emotional on the bench - he seems to give players a lot of latitude to express themselves as well. To that point, one big strength of Ford's program has been unity/continuity, compared to a lot of other programs. In this era of widespread transferring, there have been no mass exoduses and the roster has been quite stable. Ford deserves a lot of credit for that.

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

In Ford's SLU tenure, we have averaged 3.3 players leaving the program prematurely each year.

Its mainly 1 per year, the first year or 2 saw a ton. One thing I'll say, Ford has done a great job keeping players who are seeing minutes .

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Ford himself is very emotional on the bench - he seems to give players a lot of latitude to express themselves as well. To that point, one big strength of Ford's program has been unity/continuity, compared to a lot of other programs. In this era of widespread transferring, there have been no mass exoduses and the roster has been quite stable. Ford deserves a lot of credit for that.

I agree, ACE. Ford has done a great job of keeping his player's around and that's based on his personal relationship with his guy's. He certainly get's after it on the bench and has had several exchanges over the years that caused me to take notice, but it never seems to be more than emotions running high. WIth that being said, the TJ incident was the most intense, but I haven't seen anything else to lead me to believe we have a problem. If we have a problem there it's leadership. Goodwin would settle Ford and his mates down at the same time if he had to.  His leadership is sorely missed and it shows up big time when things are going poorly.

18 minutes ago, DOC said:

I agree, ACE. Ford has done a great job of keeping his player's around and that's based on his personal relationship with his guy's. He certainly get's after it on the bench and has had several exchanges over the years that caused me to take notice, but it never seems to be more than emotions running high. WIth that being said, the TJ incident was the most intense, but I haven't seen anything else to lead me to believe we have a problem. If we have a problem there it's leadership. Goodwin would settle Ford and his mates down at the same time if he had to.  His leadership is sorely missed and it shows up big time when things are going poorly.

NIL and No Sit Transfer has made this job next to impossible.

bauman likes this