Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

6 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

From what I've found it looks like Carr is a much more desirable addition than Crespin, right? I see fluff articles claiming Crespin is a highly touted prospect but his stats are not very impressive. 

Anybody with a better idea want to correct or confirm?

Crespin is about 2.5 years younger than Carr. He's about 25 lbs. bigger. Both are listed at 6-9.

Crespin says he can guard the 4 or 5. He can also step out and shoot threes.

Carr can probably guard either frontcourt position and has been used at the top of a 1-3-1 zone at times.

I like the limited video I've seen of Crespin, but as with a lot of international recruits, he's just way more of a mystery.

I'm not sure it's an either-or situation. We need multiple bigs.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

From what I've found it looks like Carr is a much more desirable addition than Crespin, right? I see fluff articles claiming Crespin is a highly touted prospect but his stats are not very impressive. 

Doesnt Crespin play in a pro league?

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Doesnt Crespin play in a pro league?

I thought I was seeing that, but if that's the case I'm learning that you can play professionally internationally and still have college eligibility? His stats are much more impressive if they're at a professional level. 

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Crespin is about 2.5 years younger than Carr. He's about 25 lbs. bigger. Both are listed at 6-9.

Carr can probably guard either frontcourt position and has been used at the top of a 1-3-1 zone at times.

I like the limited video I've seen of Crespin, but as with a lot of international recruits, he's just way more of a mystery.

Agreed! I think Carr makes more sense immediately and would see the starting spot because of experience in the college game and less to acclimate to, but rotations of Crespin and Carr on the floor together would be a lot of fun. Running in transition with two 6'9"ers and opening the paint for our slashers and Yuri the lumberjack (likes to drive into the trees...?) would be a fun offense for short rotations. 

Having the two of them would IMO increase SLU's appeal as a destination for Bol...a solid supporting front court cast with polar opposite profiles and playing styles? What's not to like about that. 

10 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

9 & 5 off the bench in the french third tier, playing against adults.

Americans in this league:

Jordan Barham - started 10 games for Davidson in 2016 when they went to the NIT

Marc Gosselin - Western Carolina, avg 6 & 5 his senior season 2017

Travis Cohn, avg 10 ppg at Jacksonville in 2011

Donovan Johnson, played at KY Wesleyan

10 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Going to call it right now -- Andrew Carr to SLU...if indeed his other picks are Davidson and Wake Forest.

Here's why:

Carr chose Delaware over two Ivy League schools -- Colgate, and William and Mary. So, he's dead serious about academics.

Look at his Linked In page. His career objective and experience so center on physical therapy. SLU is the only school of the three that offers a physical therapy major accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association. 

The reason he's visiting Davidson is that they were one of the first schools to show interest in him before he chose Delaware...

Not sure about the connection with Wake. While averaged 40 percent from three, that accounted for an average of one per game...he finished the season strong but wasn't even CAA all conference, so hard to fathom him battling Duke and UNC.

He's going to need a strong supporting cast to make the jump up from the CAA easier and more successful, another reason the crystal ball says Andrew Carr to SLU.

Seinfeld Write Off on Make a GIF

13 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

9 & 5 off the bench in the french third tier, playing against adults.

Americans in this league:

Jordan Barham - started 10 games for Davidson in 2016 when they went to the NIT

Marc Gosselin - Western Carolina, avg 6 & 5 his senior season 2017

Travis Cohn, avg 10 ppg at Jacksonville in 2011

Donovan Johnson, played at KY Wesleyan

Hate to sound lame, but the coaches should take which ever one will be a better teammate and commit to their role in the team. They both are so similar, that I cannot see one as a major improvement over the other. That said, this is a player type that our style of play has been missing the past two years.

Edit: Crespin hits at 21% from 3? So, he isn’t a 3 point shooter?

55 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We have no one that plays like Carr on this roster, WF may end up with 2 others who are near identical players as Carr. 

Also, I would think Carr could start here, Carr may not seen the court next year at Wake. 

True with no one like him but our coach will play only one big or that has been his tendency.

Also he will compete for minutes with Thatch, Hargrove, Parker, Perkins, Pickett, and Jimerson.

If there is a match up problem you might see our coach try 2 bigs but he will sub for Okoro and that will be a lot of minutes.

I hope he chooses SLU your post about Carr make me think he is the final piece of the puzzle to get SLU in the big dance if they stay healthy.

7 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Edit: Crespin hits at 21% from 3? So, he isn’t a 3 point shooter?

Thats actually not too bad for a 17 Y/O center.  Most centers don't get onto campus shooting well from 3. 

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

True with no one like him but our coach will play only one big or that has been his tendency.

Also he will compete for minutes with Thatch, Hargrove, Parker, Perkins, Pickett, and Jimerson.

If there is a match up problem you might see our try 2 bigs but he will sub for Okoro and that will be a lot of minutes.

I hope he chooses SLU your post about Carr make me think he is the final piece of the puzzle to get SLU in the big dance if they stay healthy.

During Bell's freshman year, he played him alongside French a lot. He started getting away from playing the two post bigs together the following year. But I think this is a different situation since Carr is more of a stretch big. I think he would complement playing alongside Franco quite well.

5 minutes ago, CBFan said:

If there is a match up problem you might see our try 2 bigs but he will sub for Okoro and that will be a lot of minutes.

This is all true, Ford doesn't have much of a history(at least here) with two bigs at once.  I really like the idea of having a stretch 4/PF because it may cause a smaller defender on Perkins. 

I think Okoro - PF - Perkins - Jimerson - Yuri is our best lineup. 

1 minute ago, ACE said:

During Bell's freshman year, he played him alongside French a lot. He started getting away from playing the two post bigs together the following year. But I think this is a different situation since Carr is more of a stretch big. I think he would complement playing alongside Franco quite well.

Agree, Carr is different than Linssen and Traore so it could happen.

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is all true, Ford doesn't have much of a history(at least here) with two bigs at once.  I really like the idea of having a stretch 4/PF because it may cause a smaller defender on Perkins. 

One heck of a lineup.

I will fill in Carr in the PF position.

Get Carr one more big needed.

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I completely disagree, Carr is a PF with the ability to play Center, and would be able to play that style. 20-25 minutes or so. That said, Thatch and Hargrove were both solid as small PF’s. It would be an interesting situation. I think Thatch, Perkins, and Collins would be on the floor most of the game, because Perkins and Thatch can help with ball handling. So, balance Jimerson, Pickett, Hargrove, and [carr, et al] around them. The big would have to be a backup center as well, but it would be a waste if he couldn’t play with Okoro.

15 minutes ago, wgstl said:

My guess:  Pickett and Thatch will get more minutes than the TBD PF.

Littlebill likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

His credits may transfer. He's only a sophomore so he's not in upper-level classes yet. I'm sure this is something that has been considered by Carr, the staff, and the school.

It's really down to SLU and Wake Forest, from what I can tell. Davidson got a transfer big last week (Skogman) and also has Mennenga coming back, plus a 6-10 kid coming in and a couple other non-rotation bigs for depth.

i am sure the school can make this work.   might require an extra year of school or something but that would be silly if they kept out because he did his general studies at a different school.

52 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I thought I was seeing that, but if that's the case I'm learning that you can play professionally internationally and still have college eligibility? His stats are much more impressive if they're at a professional level. 

Agreed! I think Carr makes more sense immediately and would see the starting spot because of experience in the college game and less to acclimate to, but rotations of Crespin and Carr on the floor together would be a lot of fun. Running in transition with two 6'9"ers and opening the paint for our slashers and Yuri the lumberjack (likes to drive into the trees...?) would be a fun offense for short rotations. 

Having the two of them would IMO increase SLU's appeal as a destination for Bol...a solid supporting front court cast with polar opposite profiles and playing styles? What's not to like about that. 

with the sudden changes to the college basketball landscape, not sure bol fits the slu vision.   he is likely a one and done player and one would think he would command a very high salary.   while i would love to have a player of that kind of talent, i just fear the overall "fit" isnt going to be there.   

Zink likes this

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

with the sudden changes to the college basketball landscape, not sure bol fits the slu vision.   he is likely a one and done player and one would think he would command a very high salary.   while i would love to have a player of that kind of talent, i just fear the overall "fit" isnt going to be there.   

Yeah, but it will feel so different after we win the national championship next year. Don’t commit yourself too early. You will risk overthinking it. :)

Bills By 40 likes this

50 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am sure the school can make this work.   might require an extra year of school or something but that would be silly if they kept out because he did his general studies at a different school.

Yeah I hope they can make it work.  He could always study exercise science/kinesiology and get his bachelors at SLU and then apply to PT graduate programs.  I imagine it would be hard to do the SLU accelerated DPT track while playing D1 athletics.  Our PT program is great and it is nice that it shaves one year off your doctorate but I always think it is silly that you force someone to decide if they want to be a PT when they are 17/18 years old to enter the program.

15 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

Yeah I hope they can make it work.  He could always study exercise science/kinesiology and get his bachelors at SLU and then apply to PT graduate programs.  I imagine it would be hard to do the SLU accelerated DPT track while playing D1 athletics.  Our PT program is great and it is nice that it shaves one year off your doctorate but I always think it is silly that you force someone to decide if they want to be a PT when they are 17/18 years old to enter the program.

I do not think it is silly, PT requires very in depth knowledge of muscles, skeleton, ligaments and how they work together.  It is not easy to gain that knowledge. These kids spend time in the anatomy lab with cadavers just like med students do. A good fundamental preparation is essential to enter a career that requires an MS as the basic level of training.

22 minutes ago, BuiltFordBills said:

my daughter played softball with a girl throughout high school and select that went to slu on a full scholarship for softball.   after her four years the coach asked her to be a grad asst.   however came with the condition she give up her PT dream as coach felt it would take too much time to be able to do her grad asst job.   my daughter's friend refused.   so she didnt get the job.  

good for her as she is now a PT making a tremendous career.   she is thrilled she did the right thing and chose the PT path.  

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I do not think it is silly, PT requires very in depth knowledge of muscles, skeleton, ligaments and how they work together.  It is not easy to gain that knowledge. These kids spend time in the anatomy lab with cadavers just like med students do. A good fundamental preparation is essential to enter a career that requires an MS as the basic level of training.

Sorry Old Guy, I'm not saying PT is silly or PT school and the process is silly.  I took all those classes and was in the cadaver lab with them.  I just think it's tough with the SLU program where you have to decide if PT is your calling as a 17/18 year old.

(sorry for going off-topic from transfers here)

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Any chance SLU is in on Manny Bates? Big man with 2 years remaining...