Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

On 4/23/2022 at 10:50 AM, slu72 said:

Crispin, the French player, visiting SLU, St. Mary's , and Oregon St. St Mary's seems to have a lot of success with foreign players, so I'm not feeling real strong about our chances. But we do have that St.Louis was named after a FR King thing going for us. Thinking it's time to break out the Fleur de Lis flags when he's here. 

Saint Mary's has had a ton of success & history with Australian players (Patty Mills, Matthew Dellavedova, etc.).  More recently they've added some players from New Zealand and super recently they've had some players from Latvia and Estonia.  As far as I know they have zero history with western European players nor French players specifically.

I believe their ability to nab Australian (& New Zealand) players stems from being on the west coast & thus slightly closer / easier to get to, putting in the work there, and their success with Mills & Dellavedova.

If you discount Saint Mary's being THE destination for Australian players, SLU can claim a fairly similar amount of success with foreign players (Ohannon, Vouyoukas, Ellis, Loe, Linssen, Okoro).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Thought that this was promising - followed me around 7PM last night. 

I could be overthinking this but an Andrew Carr commitment this week feels like its in the cards.  

I think the fact they started following the official @SLU_Billikens twitter account last night is more telling.  Feel even better about my post yesterday.

BuiltFordBills likes this

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the fact they started following the official @SLU_Billikens twitter account last night is more telling.  Feel even better about me post yesterday.

russian kid dance | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

brianstl, VeniceMenace and CBFan like this

31 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the fact they started following the official @SLU_Billikens twitter account last night is more telling.  Feel even better about my post yesterday.

Agreed - last I checked they only follow my account (which is a terrible representation of the program for a prospective player's family to stumble upon 🤣 ) and the official. I can only assume they found mine because of the thread I posted. It's something to keep an eye on for sure. 

**Upon further investigation they still only follow the official and myself. A variety of UofDelaware accounts and college basketball media guys. No other SLU accounts, but more importantly no other college basketball programs that showed interest in their son. Convincing myself more and more that this is very telling.  

48 minutes ago, Compton said:

Can't help but wonder whether, as the number of transfers balloons, the proportion that end up at a higher level program decreases. This small sample size looks like a lot of reshuffling the deck chairs - P6 guys going P6, mid-major guys going mid-major, etc... (except for DII and JuCo examples, where any move DI program is upward).

I mean, every school has 13 scholarships. Power conference schools only have so many vacancies. It's not like they can take more players than other schools just because they're higher-level programs. No matter what else is happening in CBB, this fact hasn't changed.

rgbilliken likes this

Just now, Bills By 40 said:

Agreed - last I checked they only follow my account (which is a terrible representation of the program for a prospective player's family to stumble upon 🤣 ) and the official. I can only assume they found mine because of the thread I posted. It's something to keep an eye on for sure. 

**Upon further investigation they still only follow the official and myself. A variety of UofDelaware accounts and college basketball media guys. No other SLU accounts, but more importantly no other college basketball programs that showed interest in their son. Convincing myself more and more that this is very telling.  

They follow Holy Cross Athletics, but I'm not seeing anything that Holy Cross is interested or that he's interest in them. 

This is the only Tweet I can find about programs that have shown interest:

Davidson visit would have already happened if this tweet is accurate & I'm not seeing anything on it.  Wildcats also added David Skogman 6'10" transfer forward from Buffalo since this tweet.

Witchita State has since added a JUCO PF (6'8" James Rojas), but as far as I can tell from Verbal Commits still has a bunch of scholarships open.  4 of their 8 players currently on the roster for next year are bigs though.

Virginia Tech appears to still need a big.

VCU has since added Brandon Johns Jr a PF transfer from Michigan.

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

Thought that this was promising - followed me around 7PM last night. 

I could be overthinking this but an Andrew Carr commitment this week feels like its in the cards.  

Carr is visiting Wake Forest on Wednesday.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I mean, every school has 13 scholarships. Power conference schools only have so many vacancies. It's not like they can take more players than other schools just because they're higher-level programs. No matter what else is happening in CBB, this fact hasn't changed.

I think 2 things have changed that have mostly just screwed HS players and guys further down the depth charts.

1. Extra COVID years guys means a lot of very good players are sticking around the college game an extra year (ex Leaky Black at UNC).  These guys will be taking up scholarship spots this coming season so there are are fewer scholarships for HS players coming in and/or guys lower on the depth chart will get dumped.
  2. Immediate eligibility for transfers means there are less minutes for HS guys coming in and guys lower on the depth chart.  In the past, with a bunch of really good transfers forced to sit every year, there were minutes available for "lesser" players.  Now those aren't there because there are no guys forced to sit out.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

With NLI, I'm guessing that SOME programs might wind up using NLI to essentially pay for a players tuition and then some and they can get them as a walk on.  I don't think most programs will do this, but perhaps in certain seasons with certain factors, that might be an option for some.  Unless there's something I'm not thinking of that would prevent this.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It was on the tweet sidebar on his Verbal Commits page.

Tweet has since been deleted.

Weird that he would tell them that after his SLU visit, tell 336 Edits that he's visiting Wake Forest, and then they delete it. It's not like WF had any roster activity in the past couple days that would change his decision to go there. Maybe they tweeted old info too late?

4 minutes ago, Eadsbee said:

With NLI, I'm guessing that SOME programs might wind up using NLI to essentially pay for a players tuition and then some and they can get them as a walk on.  I don't think most programs will do this, but perhaps in certain seasons with certain factors, that might be an option for some.  Unless there's something I'm not thinking of that would prevent this.

For one, there are few advantages to rostering more than 13 guys to treat as "scholarship" players. The current transfer landscape demonstrates that it's already impossible to keep 13 guys happy, let alone any additional players who expect to be on equal footing.

There are also rules against the benefits that walk-ons receive vs. scholarship players, not just the full ride.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Tweet has since been deleted.

Weird that he would tell them that after his SLU visit, tell 336 Edits that he's visiting Wake Forest, and then they delete it. It's not like WF had any roster activity in the past couple days that would change his decision to go there. Maybe they tweeted old info too late?

It is weird.  336 Edits has major connections to the Wake Forest basketball program.

39 minutes ago, Eadsbee said:

you do know that there are program limitations for players classified as "walkons" right?   i.e. they dont stay in the same housing.   any off season trips they dont travel with the team.   some of the workout facilities cant be used in the offseason.   i am pretty sure some of the offseason workouts with the team and coaches cant be done.  etc.   

the ncaa had to do this or the likes of a kentucky or kansas would have many "walkons.  

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

For one, there are few advantages to rostering more than 13 guys to treat as "scholarship" players. The current transfer landscape demonstrates that it's already impossible to keep 13 guys happy, let alone any additional players who expect to be on equal footing.

There are also rules against the benefits that walk-ons receive vs. scholarship players, not just the full ride.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you do know that there are program limitations for players classified as "walkons" right?   i.e. they dont stay in the same housing.   any off season trips they dont travel with the team.   some of the workout facilities cant be used in the offseason.   i am pretty sure some of the offseason workouts with the team and coaches cant be done.  etc.   

the ncaa had to do this or the likes of a kentucky or kansas would have many "walkons.  

That makes sense.  Perhaps it could be useful for a player they want to "stash" for a season due to injury or some other factor.  But it's less likely than I thought, clearly.  Thanks for the feedback.

45 minutes ago, Eadsbee said:

The other thing is that each team has limited minutes they can give. Even if Duke wants to hoard players who would be 15-16 on their depth chart...These guys are fierce competitors. I don't think most of them want to go get paid to sit on the bench when they could go get paid maybe slightly less to be a star somewhere else. I also think donors to an NIL fund won't be happy if their funds are going to dudes playing like 2 min a game.

CBFan likes this

Two former SLU recruits - Jayden Stone and Jalen Blackmon - are transferring from Grand Canyon. Neither of them did much there and I don't think they're viable options here. Just funny timing.

Also, Keylan Boone (Oklahoma State) is off the board to Pacific. He's one the staff had followed when he entered the portal.