Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

16 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

As Corey Tate says, if the suits (coaches) can do it, why can't the players? Will someone like Ford who is a top-notch recruiter of talent benefit from this new era of increased transfers?

Truer words were never spoken.

The transfer portal just became more important than recruiting. We will still need recruiting, but if a Billiken freshman player has a good season…

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

As Corey Tate says, if the suits (coaches) can do it, why can't the players? Will someone like Ford who is a top-notch recruiter of talent benefit from this new era of increased transfers?

not unless he has big bucks behind him.   while his skills will get him audiences with talent others dont get, when it comes down to it, the checkbook will close the deal now in most instances.  i am having a real hard time seeing this.   

7 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Truer words were never spoken.

The transfer portal just became more important than recruiting. We will still need recruiting, but if a Billiken freshman player has a good season…

might spend more time defending what we got.   but the bottom of the bench becomes more of a revolving door.   ugggh

It will play hell with team chemistry. Every season’s  going to be tough sledding thru the first 10-13 games as the coach figures out the best combos, and the players get used to one another and new schemes. I think fans like it more when they watch players develop thru the years than wondering who’s coming thru the revolving portal.  But who cares what we fans prefer. 

Old guy, CBFan and cgeldmacher like this

2 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Coach Tate also said the first question a recruit has is ‘tell me about your NIL program’. 

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach Tate also said the first question a recruit has is ‘tell me about your NIL program’. 

Fair question for a recruit to ask now with the NIL.

Chemistry with the visit with players and coaches is important along with winning, location and education for some.

There are plenty of miserable people working jobs they hate but the money is good.

Hopefully kids will weigh out the whole package instead of just going for the money.

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Chemistry with the visit with players and coaches is important along with winning, location and education for some.

There are plenty of miserable people working jobs they hate but the money is good.

Hopefully kids will weigh out the whole package instead of just going for the money.

The whole thing still makes me want to vomit..........

CBFan likes this

6 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Annual ‘Let’s Make A Deal’ with highest bidder winning is now official. 

Has there ever been a more inept organization than the NCAA?!? Lord in heaven!!  This is the same organization that once penalized majerus  for buying Keith van horn an omelet!

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

We are talking about teenagers here. Many spend their summers playing ball, some maybe have a small job on the side, some likely don't.  The first sniff of money, for some, will be a leading factor.

Scenario:  Player gets a modest NIL his freshman year....for discussion purposes $2500.  Do you think he would transfer to another school that can only come up with $1000 NIL?  This is the world we now live in.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Has there ever been a more inept organization than the NCAA?!? Lord in heaven!!  This is the same organization that once penalized majerus  for buying Keith van horn an omelet!

In my opinion, no, there has never been a more inept organization than the NCAA.  

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I could list about 20 government agencies that are totally inept.

most are.   it is a challenge to find anything the govt does effectively.  typically they f up any efficiency.  

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

But are they MORE inept than the NCAA? That’s the real challenge, getting more inept than the NCAA…

Dude, have you heard of FIFA?

EDIT: Maybe corrupt is more accurate than inept

16 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Dude, have you heard of FIFA?

EDIT: Maybe corrupt is more accurate than inept

FIFA is more corrupt, but they are very competent at carrying out their corruption. The NCAA is inept at both formulating effective policy and carrying any policy out. I will say that the NCAA can never be as corrupt as FIFA, because to be that corrupt requires effectiveness at carrying out corrupt practices.

I think you (plural) do not understand how government agencies work. They have to follow the applicable Code of Federal Regulations (State Regulations for the States, etc...) that just keeps on accumulating and growing in time. These regulations try to interpret and act upon whatever it is that Congress decides is the way to go. But congress and administration change in time and the CFR regs tend not to be reviewed or cleaned out. The result is a confusing jungle of at times directly conflicting regulations that the agencies have to follow and enforce. To complicate matters even more every agency has review and compliance sections that are supposed to ensure applicable the CFRs are followed.

The result is not pretty and certainly can be, and indeed is very confusing at times. I believe the agencies try to do the best they can to follow applicable CFRs, but CFR is a mess that gets messier with time and with the political winds blowing in whatever direction they blow as time passes and governments/administrations change.

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I think you (plural) do not understand how government agencies work. They have to follow the applicable Code of Federal Regulations (State Regulations for the States, etc...) that just keeps on accumulating and growing in time. These regulations try to interpret and act upon whatever it is that Congress decides is the way to go. But congress and administration change in time and the CFR regs tend not to be reviewed or cleaned out. The result is a confusing jungle of at times directly conflicting regulations that the agencies have to follow and enforce. To complicate matters even more every agency has review and compliance sections that are supposed to ensure applicable the CFRs are followed.

The result is not pretty and certainly can be, and indeed is very confusing at times. I believe the agencies try to do the best they can to follow applicable CFRs, but CFR is a mess that gets messier with time and with the political winds blowing in whatever direction they blow as time passes and governments/administrations change.

Dude

billikenblue likes this

34 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Oh I fully understand how government agencies work.  I spent my career working for industry "with" various government agencies.  I don't want to turn this thread into a political rant, one that Steve would rightfully lock down.

Old guy likes this

18 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

We are talking about teenagers here. Many spend their summers playing ball, some maybe have a small job on the side, some likely don't.  The first sniff of money, for some, will be a leading factor.

Scenario:  Player gets a modest NIL his freshman year....for discussion purposes $2500.  Do you think he would transfer to another school that can only come up with $1000 NIL?  This is the world we now live in.

I don't think so, but I believe that a freshman that had a decent season would switch for $10,000 in NIL.

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't think so, but I believe that a freshman that had a decent season would switch for $10,000 in NIL.

Why would a freshman who only had a decent season get offered $10,000 at his next school?  He would be transferring down to a school with even less resources than the one he left.

19 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I don't disagree, but I hate the idea of the NCAA ineptness being blamed on one group of people that most think of as the NCAA.  The problem with the NCAA is not its administrators.  The people running the NCAA have the deck stacked against them from the get go.  The problem is that the NCAA has like 400 bosses.  Also, those bosses have a caste system that determines their relative importance to the overall set up.  The interests of a school like SLU ranks higher in that system than say SIU-Carbondale, but is nowhere in the same category of the power held by Ohio State.  That sort of power structure is never going to work.  I blame the entire system or the schools more so than I blame the people in the NCAA offices.  Sadly, I think most people don't see the forest for the trees and just blame some suits in Indianapolis.

3star_recruit likes this

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Why would a freshman who only had a decent season get offered $10000 at his next school?  He would be transferring down to a school with even less resources than the one he left.

I was talking about a hypothetical mid major freshmen who has a decent year switching from his mid-major school where he gets $2,500 to a low level power conference school where he can get $10,000.  That's a switch that wouldn't have occurred in the past, but will start happening purely due to the money involved.