Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

I did a deep dive on the portal for PGs - a lot of names still out there, but I don't see many decent ones. 

This well traveled player's dad was a SLU assistant.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397490/darius-beane

Doesn't seem to be a true PG based on his stats. Not a great player, but certainly experienced and maybe willing to be a role player. If not him, maybe a player that fits this profile willing to play a team with NCAA Tourney aspirations to finish out his career.

It's very quiet on the recruiting front. International players often sign very late, so perhaps Ford lands a player like that off the radar.

billiken_roy likes this

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's looking for his 4th school in 5 years, but that's mostly because he followed his dad. Anthony Beane (former Soderberg assistant) was an assistant at Carbondale before he went to NIU and then the staff got let go last year and he's at a JUCO now - so Darius went to CSUN. Darius was a toddler when he first started coming to SLU practices with his dad. Anthony Jr. is playing overseas, currently in Italy.

Whether he'd be a good use of the last scholarship depends on how confident the staff is in our other potential secondary ballhandlers. I think we're highly questionable beyond Collins, which is why I'd like someone more proven if he's in foul trouble or hurt. We saw quite a drop-off last season even when someone like Jones, who set UCA's assist record, was the lead PG for longer stretches.

almaman likes this

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He's looking for his 4th school in 5 years, but that's mostly because he followed his dad. Anthony Beane (former Soderberg assistant) was an assistant at Carbondale before he went to NIU and then the staff got let go last year and he's at a JUCO now - so Darius went to CSUN. Darius was a toddler when he first started coming to SLU practices with his dad. Anthony Jr. is playing overseas, currently in Italy.

Whether he'd be a good use of the last scholarship depends on how confident the staff is in our other potential secondary ballhandlers. I think we're highly questionable beyond Collins, which is why I'd like someone more proven if he's in foul trouble or hurt. We saw quite a drop-off last season even when someone like Jones, who set UCA's assist record, was the lead PG for longer stretches.

We definitely need another ballhandler. Ideally I would want someone better than Beane too, I just don't know what is a realistic expectation for a player to fill this role.  I would rather have a player who fits this profile....

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4897289/jordan-johnson

A younger player willing to be a role player for one season and then take on a bigger role for the rest of his career.  In this era of free agency, I just don't know how effective that type of recruiting pitch is any more.

i agree ace, we all know assuming no injury or foul trouble yuri is  going to play big minutes.  likely average 35 mpg.   that's a tough sell to sit behind that knowing you arent playing much this year.

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree ace, we all know assuming no injury or foul trouble yuri is  going to play big minutes.  likely average 35 mpg.   that's a tough sell to sit behind that knowing you arent playing much this year.

DeAndre Jones played 15 mpg last year. There is still an opportunity for a player to get similar minutes. The question is... would a player like the one I linked to from Denver for example, who averaged 30 mpg, be willing to play 15 mpg for one season, before taking a bigger role the following year?

Most of the latest 2023 offers have been to PGs/CGs. Makes me wonder if they were planning to go with another veteran transfer before bringing the next young player in to run the show.

I'm also curious what 2022 guards might still be out there. This class has been grossly overlooked because of the amount of additional players still in college due to COVID bonus seasons. There are undoubtedly some gems in the unsigned ranks right now.

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Most of the latest 2023 offers have been to PGs/CGs. Makes me wonder if they were planning to go with another veteran transfer before bringing the next young player in to run the show.

I'm also curious what 2022 guards might still be out there. This class has been grossly overlooked because of the amount of additional players still in college due to COVID bonus seasons. There are undoubtedly some gems in the unsigned ranks right now.

We need a point guard/combo guard in 2023 regardless of what happens in 2022.  We are entering Yuri's 4th season.  If we have the kind of season we hope to have, he has to go.  His stock will never be higher.

I think Smith is a pipe dream. He's played his way into serious minutes. Is he going to get them here? He could but at some starter's expense. That's not a bad attitude, ie you play the best, but it doesn't always play out well. 

On 5/23/2022 at 2:42 PM, RUBillsFan said:

After adding Forrester & Cisse, I can't imagine the staff wants to add another big especially one who can't space the floor/isn't likely to play alongside Okoro.  None of the F/C types on this list do that.  Reece is the only guy who has taken more than a handful of 3s and his career % is less than 27%.  I also see him as closer to a wing than a true big man and we don't need any more wings.  Cardet also seems like more of a wing than a PG.

We need a backup PG and that leaves Sills.  It should be noted that I believe Forte is following an old profile of Sills (@luckylefty3_) instead of what seems to be his current one (@desisills3)

I spend way more time playing around with the Portal Finder on T-Rank than I care to admit looking for guys who might fit the backup PG role. 

Here are some names that I find interesting even if they have no reported connection to SLU:

1. Malachi Smith (Chattanooga via Wright State via Belleville West HS) - Totally unrealistic in that he's likely either staying in the draft or going to a very high major / blue blood type school & getting minutes.  The pitch for him at SLU would be for him to come home & play with his buddies.  He could start alongside Yuri with them taking turns with ballhandling duties & backup at PG when Yuri is out.

More realistic options with intriguing profiles or some SLU connection.  I'm fluid on the ordering

2. Desi Sills (Arkansas State via Arkansas via Jonesboro HS in Jonesboro, AR) - I'd prefer a guy who can shoot the 3 a bit more efficiently & has a better A/TO ratio, but as a backup to Yuri he looks like a solid fit as a guy who plays great D and can handle the ball enough.

3. Jamel Horton (Albany, via Holy Cross HS in Queens, NY) - No indication SLU is interested, but he's put up solid numbers without great efficiency at Albany & is 6-4 so he could perhaps play alongside Yuri without causing too many issues on D.  SLU has gotten guys out of NY area recently (French) and it is within the A10 footprint.

4. Dom London (UMES via FGCU via Octorara in Christiana, PA) - Again, no indication SLU is interested.  Looks like a fit as a backup PG who can shoot the 3 and defend at a decent level.  He's from a town outside Philly, so he's in the A10 footprint.

5. EJ Clark (Alabama St via Kinney HS in Dallas TX) - Again no indication SLU is interest.  He's only 5-11, but profiles a lot like DeAndre Jones as a good 3pt shooter who can handle PG duties.  Defense seems like it would be a question mark.  Forte has connections in Dallas, TX.

6. Dominiq Penn (Washington via Hamilton Heights in Columbus, OH) - Had an offer from SLU coming out of HS.  Only played 9 minutes over 6 games for Washington, but maybe he could do better with a change of scenery?

No real SLU connection, but since I had him on my random list I created here - Jamel Horton is off the board to Mississippi State:

I kind of liked him as a guy with some size / length who could handle the point.  On paper it seems like he's behind a few guys at Miss St.  Competition for a backup PG is going to be fierce.

I wish Ramey would come dude plays intense D.  But I'm not optimistic, 247 reporting 

"Ramey's list of interest included offers from Arkansas, Clemson, Illinois, Iowa State, Jacksonville State, Kansas State, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Purdue, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, SMU, South Carolina, UCLA, UNLV and USC."

and

"Texas basketball transfer Courtney Ramey is currently being pursued by Duke, Houston, Arizona and Louisville among others, according to Stadium’s Jeff Goodman. Ramey’s decision could depend on whether Trevor Keels returns to the Blue Devils and if Marcus Sasser comes back to Houston."

18 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I wish Ramey would come dude plays intense D.  But I'm not optimistic, 247 reporting 

"Ramey's list of interest included offers from Arkansas, Clemson, Illinois, Iowa State, Jacksonville State, Kansas State, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Purdue, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, SMU, South Carolina, UCLA, UNLV and USC."

and

"Texas basketball transfer Courtney Ramey is currently being pursued by Duke, Houston, Arizona and Louisville among others, according to Stadium’s Jeff Goodman. Ramey’s decision could depend on whether Trevor Keels returns to the Blue Devils and if Marcus Sasser comes back to Houston."

Sasses back to Houston. Keels to NBA. 

4 hours ago, DOC said:

Smith to Gonzaga. Wonder what Few knows that Roy doesn't.

I guess he's improved quite a bit since high school.  I'm happy for him 

3 hours ago, juniorbill76 said:

I’m told the Billikens never reached out to Malachi Smith.

Interesting. He would be the first local kid Ford/Tate didn't reach out to in their time here, while falling amongst the top recruits in recent memory. So there has to be a reason, right? If your source knows we didn't reach out then he knows why. Why did we not even reach out to the a top 10 portal player in the country who is from the area?

6 hours ago, DOC said:

Interesting. He would be the first local kid Ford/Tate didn't reach out to in their time here, while falling amongst the top recruits in recent memory. So there has to be a reason, right? If your source knows we didn't reach out then he knows why. Why did we not even reach out to the a top 10 portal player in the country who is from the area?

Could it be the ice cubes chance in hell rule? 

9 hours ago, DOC said:

No idea why - I learned it from the other side of the equation.

9 hours ago, DOC said:

We didn't reach out to Ramey when he entered the portal either.

first to throw out there, i dont know ramey.   and since the belleville west days, my interaction with smith has been zero.   but it makes me think that ford and staff determined that even though these two are great talents, there was a reason they werent a good fit. 

i am hoping/thinking that after these last couple of years, maybe ford has decided to try to recruit strategically for his roster and piece things together rather than just get the best athletes he can.   if that is the case (and again, i have nothing to base that on.   i guess we will see how well the machine is put together in a few months!) but if that is the case, i am very happy with that decision.   

ford is the best billiken recruiter in my fandom.   so i trust him completely on getting players.   and now if he is getting more exact in his targets and filling the spots, i am even more happy and convinced he is the right coach. 

Of course i reserve the right to be upset throughout the season for his game coaching.  the less i b!tch about it the better he's getting at it in my opinion.  

36 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

first to throw out there, i dont know ramey.   and since the belleville west days, my interaction with smith has been zero.   but it makes me think that ford and staff determined that even though these two are great talents, there was a reason they werent a good fit. 

i am hoping/thinking that after these last couple of years, maybe ford has decided to try to recruit strategically for his roster and piece things together rather than just get the best athletes he can.   if that is the case (and again, i have nothing to base that on.   i guess we will see how well the machine is put together in a few months!) but if that is the case, i am very happy with that decision.   

ford is the best billiken recruiter in my fandom.   so i trust him completely on getting players.   and now if he is getting more exact in his targets and filling the spots, i am even more happy and convinced he is the right coach. 

Of course i reserve the right to be upset throughout the season for his game coaching.  the less i b!tch about it the better he's getting at it in my opinion.  

the key word being recruiter....it's the most important part of being a coach.....that's why i get so frustrated with the Ford basher's....the athletes that he consistently brings in are far better than what any of the other Billiken coaches have done  the past 40 years..

big bill fan, i liked your post even though i am one of the biggest complainers on ford on his coaching and development.   but like you i will take ford because he gives the program more talent to work with than any coach in my fandom.   the point is with talent, we always got a chance.   too many years with previous coaches, we seemed to always expect every so many years a "rebuilding" year with zero expectations of post season.   now we are expecting post season every year.   if you put that into perspective, how can you not be happier with ford?

of course i still promise you game complaints from me.  it's in my makeup.  😄

dennis_w and Adman like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

big bill fan, i liked your post even though i am one of the biggest complainers on ford on his coaching and development.   but like you i will take ford because he gives the program more talent to work with than any coach in my fandom.   the point is with talent, we always got a chance.   too many years with previous coaches, we seemed to always expect every so many years a "rebuilding" year with zero expectations of post season.   now we are expecting post season every year.   if you put that into perspective, how can you not be happier with ford?

of course i still promise you game complaints from me.  it's in my makeup.  😄

haha