ACE

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, gabriel said:

travis did not lose his fastball, unreal reverse psychology play by me

Not only did he not lose his fastball, he now has an eephus to add. 

Felipe Haase is down to Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, and Southern Miss. Interesting final 3.

Chuks Isitua is off to Fresno State.

The only other transfers I had on my list of guys the staff had interest in are Wesley Cardet (G, Samford), Joe Reece (F, Bowling Green), Yaya Keita (C, Mizzou), Alex Tchikou (PF, Alabama), Desi Sills (G, Arkansas State), and Kaodirichi Akobundu-Ehiogu (C, Texas Arlington - going through the NBA Draft evaluation process).

Really interested to see what happens with this last scholarship.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Felipe Haase is down to Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, and Southern Miss. Interesting final 3.

The only other transfers I had on my list of guys the staff had interest in are Wesley Cardet (G, Samford), Joe Reece (F, Bowling Green), Yaya Keita (C, Mizzou), Alex Tchikou (PF, Alabama), Desi Sills (G, Arkansas State), and Kaodirichi Akobundu-Ehiogu (C, Texas Arlington - going through the NBA Draft evaluation process).

After adding Forrester & Cisse, I can't imagine the staff wants to add another big especially one who can't space the floor/isn't likely to play alongside Okoro.  None of the F/C types on this list do that.  Reece is the only guy who has taken more than a handful of 3s and his career % is less than 27%.  I also see him as closer to a wing than a true big man and we don't need any more wings.  Cardet also seems like more of a wing than a PG.

We need a backup PG and that leaves Sills.  It should be noted that I believe Forte is following an old profile of Sills (@luckylefty3_) instead of what seems to be his current one (@desisills3)

I spend way more time playing around with the Portal Finder on T-Rank than I care to admit looking for guys who might fit the backup PG role. 

Here are some names that I find interesting even if they have no reported connection to SLU:

1. Malachi Smith (Chattanooga via Wright State via Belleville West HS) - Totally unrealistic in that he's likely either staying in the draft or going to a very high major / blue blood type school & getting minutes.  The pitch for him at SLU would be for him to come home & play with his buddies.  He could start alongside Yuri with them taking turns with ballhandling duties & backup at PG when Yuri is out.

More realistic options with intriguing profiles or some SLU connection.  I'm fluid on the ordering

2. Desi Sills (Arkansas State via Arkansas via Jonesboro HS in Jonesboro, AR) - I'd prefer a guy who can shoot the 3 a bit more efficiently & has a better A/TO ratio, but as a backup to Yuri he looks like a solid fit as a guy who plays great D and can handle the ball enough.

3. Jamel Horton (Albany, via Holy Cross HS in Queens, NY) - No indication SLU is interested, but he's put up solid numbers without great efficiency at Albany & is 6-4 so he could perhaps play alongside Yuri without causing too many issues on D.  SLU has gotten guys out of NY area recently (French) and it is within the A10 footprint.

4. Dom London (UMES via FGCU via Octorara in Christiana, PA) - Again, no indication SLU is interested.  Looks like a fit as a backup PG who can shoot the 3 and defend at a decent level.  He's from a town outside Philly, so he's in the A10 footprint.

5. EJ Clark (Alabama St via Kinney HS in Dallas TX) - Again no indication SLU is interest.  He's only 5-11, but profiles a lot like DeAndre Jones as a good 3pt shooter who can handle PG duties.  Defense seems like it would be a question mark.  Forte has connections in Dallas, TX.

6. Dominiq Penn (Washington via Hamilton Heights in Columbus, OH) - Had an offer from SLU coming out of HS.  Only played 9 minutes over 6 games for Washington, but maybe he could do better with a change of scenery?

DOC and Pistol like this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Wesley Cardet to Chicago State. I believe his uncle is on staff there and some of his HS teammates are there.

18 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

After adding Forrester & Cisse, I can't imagine the staff wants to add another big especially one who can't space the floor/isn't likely to play alongside Okoro.  None of the F/C types on this list do that.  Reece is the only guy who has taken more than a handful of 3s and his career % is less than 27%.  I also see him as closer to a wing than a true big man and we don't need any more wings.  Cardet also seems like more of a wing than a PG.

We need a backup PG and that leaves Sills.  It should be noted that I believe Forte is following an old profile of Sills (@luckylefty3_) instead of what seems to be his current one (@desisills3)

I spend way more time playing around with the Portal Finder on T-Rank than I care to admit looking for guys who might fit the backup PG role. 

Here are some names that I find interesting even if they have no reported connection to SLU:

1. Malachi Smith (Chattanooga via Wright State via Belleville West HS) - Totally unrealistic in that he's likely either staying in the draft or going to a very high major / blue blood type school & getting minutes.  The pitch for him at SLU would be for him to come home & play with his buddies.  He could start alongside Yuri with them taking turns with ballhandling duties & backup at PG when Yuri is out.

More realistic options with intriguing profiles or some SLU connection.  I'm fluid on the ordering

2. Desi Sills (Arkansas State via Arkansas via Jonesboro HS in Jonesboro, AR) - I'd prefer a guy who can shoot the 3 a bit more efficiently & has a better A/TO ratio, but as a backup to Yuri he looks like a solid fit as a guy who plays great D and can handle the ball enough.

3. Jamel Horton (Albany, via Holy Cross HS in Queens, NY) - No indication SLU is interested, but he's put up solid numbers without great efficiency at Albany & is 6-4 so he could perhaps play alongside Yuri without causing too many issues on D.  SLU has gotten guys out of NY area recently (French) and it is within the A10 footprint.

4. Dom London (UMES via FGCU via Octorara in Christiana, PA) - Again, no indication SLU is interested.  Looks like a fit as a backup PG who can shoot the 3 and defend at a decent level.  He's from a town outside Philly, so he's in the A10 footprint.

5. EJ Clark (Alabama St via Kinney HS in Dallas TX) - Again no indication SLU is interest.  He's only 5-11, but profiles a lot like DeAndre Jones as a good 3pt shooter who can handle PG duties.  Defense seems like it would be a question mark.  Forte has connections in Dallas, TX.

6. Dominiq Penn (Washington via Hamilton Heights in Columbus, OH) - Had an offer from SLU coming out of HS.  Only played 9 minutes over 6 games for Washington, but maybe he could do better with a change of scenery?

If the bottom few is what we are talking about here, then we aren't looking for a real backup to Yuri. Those are end of the bench guys. Thames would be the backup PG then.

Any indication Thames can spell Yuri at times? Similar to a Phil Russell role? Like why couldn't that work? I know he didn't run the point for BBE but they had a couple classic PGs on the roster, one of which is headed to Michigan State. When you watch film, it looks like he has a decent handle. But I haven't seen him in person so I can't really give a real opinion on what will happen. Anyone seen him play? Is he too raw? Less ready than Russell? I think his body alone gives him more of an advantage. Play him next to Thatch or someone else capable of bringing the ball up safely.

Again, TOTALLY spitballing here. Just looking for a little insight. If that is the case with Thames (or if Ford thinks that at least), maybe that last schollie can go to someone who can raise our ceiling? Just thinking (typing?) out loud

8 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

If the bottom few is what we are talking about here, then we aren't looking for a real backup to Yuri. Those are end of the bench guys. Thames would be the backup PG then.

Any indication Thames can spell Yuri at times? Similar to a Phil Russell role? Like why couldn't that work? I know he didn't run the point for BBE but they had a couple classic PGs on the roster, one of which is headed to Michigan State. When you watch film, it looks like he has a decent handle. But I haven't seen him in person so I can't really give a real opinion on what will happen. Anyone seen him play? Is he too raw? Less ready than Russell? I think his body alone gives him more of an advantage. Play him next to Thatch or someone else capable of bringing the ball up safely.

Again, TOTALLY spitballing here. Just looking for a little insight. If that is the case with Thames (or if Ford thinks that at least), maybe that last schollie can go to someone who can raise our ceiling? Just thinking (typing?) out loud

Ive been asking this for a while.. Still trying to figure out if Thames is viewed by the staff as someone who cancontribute right away, or a project

11 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I think you are really underestimating the value of a few years worth of college experience for guys who aren't 5 star prospects.  Check out DeAndre Jones stats & the quality of his Central Arkansas teams.  I think most of the guys on my list have similar or better resumes except Penn who didn't play at all.  I admittedly don't know a lot about Thames, but I'd be thrilled if Thames comes in & takes backup PG reigns right away.  I just don't see that happening based on what I've seen / read and, therefore, prefer to add an experienced PG.

I think a key difference with Russell is that we also had Goodwin on the roster who was for all intents & purposes the backup PG.  Russell was a break glass in case of emergency option who played mostly garbage time & his only meaningful minutes were when Yuri was hurt.  I'm fine with Thames in that role which necessitates adding another PG who can be the actual backup.

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ive been asking this for a while.. Still trying to figure out if Thames is viewed by the staff as someone who cancontribute right away, or a project

My take is that if we are expecting to be an NCAA tournament team, we should not be counting on freshmen who are outside the top 200 in their class to come in & contribute right away.

I'm not saying they can't / won't, but we shouldn't be expecting it or our team isn't really NCAA tournament quality.

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

My take is that if we are expecting to be an NCAA tournament team, we should not be counting on freshmen who are outside the top 200 in their class to come in & contribute right away.

I'm not saying they can't / won't, but we shouldn't be expecting it or our team isn't really NCAA tournament quality.

I agree with that, but the staff likely has the idea that he's good enough to contribute/project already.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think you are really underestimating the value of a few years worth of college experience for guys who aren't 5 star prospects.  Check out DeAndre Jones stats & the quality of his Central Arkansas teams.  I think most of the guys on my list have similar or better resumes except Penn who didn't play at all.  I admittedly don't know a lot about Thames, but I'd be thrilled if Thames comes in & takes backup PG reigns right away.  I just don't see that happening based on what I've seen / read and, therefore, prefer to add an experienced PG.

I think a key difference with Russell is that we also had Goodwin on the roster who was for all intents & purposes the backup PG.  Russell was a break glass in case of emergency option who played mostly garbage time & his only meaningful minutes were when Yuri was hurt.  I'm fine with Thames in that role which necessitates adding another PG who can be the actual backup.

Jones had 1,000 points and 500 assists at C Ark while shooting 40% from 3. Those bottom 3 that I referred to aren't in the same galaxy as Deandre Jones

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

If I were the coaches, I would bring in Thames, and the current team, this summer and see how he handles himself in practice, just like we did with Williams last year. If we need someone, get them, and if not, don’t.

25 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Jones had 1,000 points and 500 assists at C Ark while shooting 40% from 3. Those bottom 3 that I referred to aren't in the same galaxy as Deandre Jones

I'm assuming, you are talking about London, Clark & Penn as the bottom 3?  By raw totals, you are correct that none can match Jones.  That's purely based on the difference in # of games/minutes though.  None of them have been 4 starters like Jones was, so they naturally haven't accumulated the same totals.  London & Clark were JUCO guys who've each only played 2 DI seasons and Penn was a freshman who barely played for a Power 5 team.

That being said.  I don't care about raw totals.  I don't think they're a very good indicator of future success in a limited role on a really good SLU team.

I'm leaving Penn off the comparison below because hardly played.  His name was more of a toss in because he offered him out of HS.

Throwing out Jones 10 game injury shortened 2020-21 season, here are their last "full" season stat lines

Jones - 

image.thumb.png.635f9d40e3c06622c37fc8d20c14504f.png

London -

image.thumb.png.826789297147c69b0baa502a3b26a14b.png

Clark - 

image.png.94f1c559b348e5de055b966503018640.png

Big difference in their stat lines is that Jones was less efficient on higher usage with more assists, but also a ton more turnovers.  Neither assists or TOs really translated to his time at SLU anyways.  All 3 teams were pretty terrible (300s in KenPom).  Giant grain of salt alert, advance stats win shares per 48 have them London .148, Clark .108, and Jones .091 for those seasons mostly because advance stats thought Clark & Jones were awful defensively which wasn't the case for Jones at SLU.

I'm not comfortable saying either is or would be better than Jones or even as good as Jones, but I am 100% comfortable saying they are in the same galaxy.

If I knew for sure Yuri was going to be healthy or not in foul trouble all year, I'd be fine with Thames being the back up as you're talking 5-10 mpg. However, I'd hate to count on Yuri being healthy all year or never in foul trouble. I don't know enough about Thames to know if I'd want him being the starter if Yuri can't play for any reason. 

BilliesBy40 and RUBillsFan like this

35 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

If I knew for sure Yuri was going to be healthy or not in foul trouble all year, I'd be fine with Thames being the back up as you're talking 5-10 mpg. However, I'd hate to count on Yuri being healthy all year or never in foul trouble. I don't know enough about Thames to know if I'd want him being the starter if Yuri can't play for any reason. 

I would be surprised if Thames plays any meaningful minutes at PG next season, and if I had to bet my life on it, I would bet on him being more of a wing long term. We need a back-up PG.

Bizziken likes this

We will know when the coach fills the last scholarship where his head is at on the back up point guard position.

I am hoping that the coach believes he has a suitable back up point guard on the roster and can sign Crespin or a different stretch 4.  I like the 2 bigs that signed recently but I would like one more.

5 minutes ago, CBFan said:

We will know when the coach fills the last scholarship where his head is at on the back up point guard position.

I am hoping that the coach believes he has a suitable back up point guard on the roster and can sign Crespin or a different stretch 4.  I like the 2 bigs that signed recently but I would like one more.

i am beginning to think that either coach thinks thames is good enough to cover as backup or that coach is willing to use other players like thatch to cover those minutes.  we havent heard of any pg's coming in to visit so makes me wonder.   

not saying i agree or disagree with that thinking just think that one would think we would be in full out find a point guard transfer by now if that is incorrect.  

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i am beginning to think that either coach thinks thames is good enough to cover as backup or that coach is willing to use other players like thatch to cover those minutes.  we havent heard of any pg's coming in to visit so makes me wonder.   

not saying i agree or disagree with that thinking just think that one would think we would be in full out find a point guard transfer by now if that is incorrect.  

Cisse and Forrester weren't on anyone's radar either before we signed them.  I have a feeling we'll hear something in the next three weeks that will be unexpected, but will suffice for what we need.

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

My pie in the sky blue cool aid dream is that we haven't heard anything about any PGs coming to visit because the staff believes we have a really good shot at Malachi Smith if/when we withdraws from the NBA draft.  I fully expect to be disappointed on this, but it would be an awesome explanation for things being quiet on the backup PG front.

cgeldmacher likes this

42 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Cisse and Forrester weren't on anyone's radar either before we signed them.  I have a feeling we'll hear something in the next three weeks that will be unexpected, but will suffice for what we need.

but we were very actively bringing people in.   we dont even hear about them talking to any guard transfers or late signees

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but we were very actively bringing people in.   we dont even hear about them talking to any guard transfers or late signees

who else can you name that has been on campus? Turnbull and who else? There were 7 on campus last week. We know the names of 2.

I don't believe the POY in whatever conference Smith played in is to come here for 5 or 10 backup PG minutes.  While he could do it, I see him wanting NBA dollars or big time minutes to eventually get NBA dollars.  That's got Big Ten written all over it.