Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The more I think about it, I’m less and less concerned with having a stretch 4. I want as many minutes as possible with Perk, Yuri, GJim, Pick, FT, and what if Parker is really good, Hargrove will get minutes also and this does not account for a back up point. 

Let’s say we add a quality inside big and a back up point. We have 120 minutes between all of our guards and wings. I want Perk, Pick, and GJim on the floor 30 mpg each leaving 30 minutes for Parker, Thatch, and Hargrove plus the Frosh. The stretch 4 will have to be pretty damn good for me to really want him to take minutes

That is an interesting point. The core of the roster is built, so you are likely best off just rolling with that and adding a quality backup big to replace Linssen and a backup point guard. Adding a legit stretch four might create some issues since most of our wings are more traditional 3s and you need to spread them across those 3 positions to get minutes as you demonstrated. Definitely an interesting roster with a lot of guys who kind of play the same position yet possess different attributes.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

The more I think about it, I’m less and less concerned with having a stretch 4. I want as many minutes as possible with Perk, Yuri, GJim, Pick, FT, and what if Parker is really good, Hargrove will get minutes also and this does not account for a back up point. 

Let’s say we add a quality inside big and a back up point. We have 120 minutes between all of our guards and wings. I want Perk, Pick, and GJim on the floor 30 mpg each leaving 30 minutes for Parker, Thatch, and Hargrove plus the Frosh. The stretch 4 will have to be pretty damn good for me to really want him to take minutes

The stretch 4 is more of a fun thing then Necessary at this point. But I’m not sure I was more GJ on the court, less tbh. He showed what happened when he plays to many minutes, would like to knock a few off. Also not sure if perk will start off at 30 mpg right away. 

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The stretch 4 is more of a fun thing then Necessary at this point. But I’m not sure I was more GJ on the court, less tbh. He showed what happened when he plays to many minutes, would like to knock a few off. Also not sure if perk will start off at 30 mpg right away. 

30 mpg lowers GJ by almost 4 mpg. The truth is even without adding anyone else at the 1-4 except a back up pg the minutes are going to be tough to divide. Do you see any of Parker, Thatch, or Hargrove getting more than 10? If so Perk, Pick, and GJ can’t all get 30. I suspect at least one of them won’t 

I'm hoping Gibby can play similar minutes but he won't wear down as quickly because he won't be the sole focus point of the defense. He makes our offense better even when he isn't scoring. I also hope he got the message that he has to continue to improve his conditioning. 

Yuri, Gibby, and Perkins need 30+ mins although all 3 of them could maybe play less earlier in the year. Okoro 25+ minutes. Thatch 20-30 minutes. There aren't a ton of minutes left outside of that. Pickett will at least get 20 I'd think and add in 15 to Okoro's backup. While I do want us to push the pace more this season, I also want our best players on the floor. There will be really good players who don't see a ton of the court this season. 

This team is a backup big-man away from being sweet 16 caliber. I know some on here have kind of dismissed the remaining scholarships because they'll be for bench guys but I truly believe we are a capable big man away from a sweet 16 but not filling that position lands you in the NIT and I personally think would be the end of Ford's tenure. I don't think it's hyperbole to say this is one of the most important scholarships SLU had handed out in the last decade 

25 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'm hoping Gibby can play similar minutes but he won't wear down as quickly because he won't be the sole focus point of the defense. He makes our offense better even when he isn't scoring. I also hope he got the message that he has to continue to improve his conditioning. 

Yuri, Gibby, and Perkins need 30+ mins although all 3 of them could maybe play less earlier in the year. Okoro 25+ minutes. Thatch 20-30 minutes. There aren't a ton of minutes left outside of that. Pickett will at least get 20 I'd think and add in 15 to Okoro's backup. While I do want us to push the pace more this season, I also want our best players on the floor. There will be really good players who don't see a ton of the court this season. 

This team is a backup big-man away from being sweet 16 caliber. I know some on here have kind of dismissed the remaining scholarships because they'll be for bench guys but I truly believe we are a capable big man away from a sweet 16 but not filling that position lands you in the NIT and I personally think would be the end of Ford's tenure. I don't think it's hyperbole to say this is one of the most important scholarships SLU had handed out in the last decade 

It’s easy to forget how hard GJim had to work off the ball last year. I’m not sure I remember seeing a Billiken held, clutched, bumped, and just generally guarded as hard and closely Ashe was when he didn’t have the ball. Perk will change that. 

almaman likes this

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It’s easy to forget how hard GJim had to work off the ball last year. I’m not sure I remember seeing a Billiken held, clutched, bumped, and just generally guarded as hard and closely Ashe was when he didn’t have the ball. Perk will change that. 

Jimerson also won't be leading the team in shot attempts per game (by a wide margin) as he did last year.  The reason Jimerson played so many minutes last year is somebody had to get those shots up. That somebody has returned.

Also there was no perimeter weapon on the bench to back up Jimerson.  This year we have Parker and Kramer gunning for Parker's spot.

A couple of things I would prefer not to see during play next year is Yuri making as many TOs as he did last season, and also I would prefer to see Yuri NOT charging straight at several bigs during a game. I will be happy if these get under control.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Not having the other team’s #1 or #2 defender will do wonders for gibby next year too. 

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

A back up big man doesn’t take you from an NIT team to a Sweet 16 team

12 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I recall Ford saying he’d never seen a player after a game with so many bruises and scratches as Gibby had. That’s got to wear you down when you’re getting mugged for 34 mpg. Amazing he shot as well as he did and got thru it injury free. 

slufanskip and MB73 like this

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

A couple of things I would prefer not to see during play next year is Yuri making as many TOs as he did last season, and also I would prefer to see Yuri NOT charging straight at several bigs during a game. I will be happy if these get under control.

The charging into the bigs complaint is so tired - it worked just as often as it didn't, whether it was passing out of it, scoring at the rim, or drawing a foul. I think that'll only get easier this year with more time for Yuri to get stronger and adding so many good pieces around him. 

As for the turnovers...no sh!t. 

10 hours ago, Fraz said:

A back up big man doesn’t take you from an NIT team to a Sweet 16 team

Read "back up" as "secondary" and ask yourself if you still disagree?

Because adding a second big to this roster most definitely makes that big of a potential difference. 

slufan13 likes this

4 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Recruiting news imminent…

Thank you

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

He wasn't the only one on campus. Just the only one where we know their name.

True, was thinking the other were later this week