Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No doubt the guys we’re looking for are critical role players unless we’re gonna be a 7 man team that can play without a PG for 5 -10 minutes and no Big for 10-15 mpg. I’m still trying to figure out why we didn’t make more of an effort to keep Traore. 

Crespin is being evaluated to play pro and I would not expect a decision for a while.  From what I read it’s going pro first school second.

Do we know that coach Ford and staff did not try hard to keep Traore?

If a player does not like the school or coach they just leave.  Traore was going to play a lot this season and possibly start the season after so I do not think it was about playing time but I could be wrong.

The waiting is tough and to add to our frustration is that SLU has been turned down by 2 bigs.  I believe by June when players being evaluated by the NBA have to drop out or lose their eligibility there will be a lot of movement and as 3 Star and The Wiz has pointed out there are a lot of players still available.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i asked this over the weekend and no one on the board really responded.   what opening do we have on staff that would give conklin a spot to be hired for and be allowed to coach and recruit per ncaa guidelines?  if no such spot exists someone has to be fired first before your coaching wish can happen.  i believe the ncaa has strict rules as to how many actual coaches can be on staff.   

I believe someone said He could/would take a GA to start off. Not sure if there is anything to that or not. 

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Crespin is being evaluated to play pro and I would not expect a decision for a while.  From what I read it’s going pro first school second.

Do we know that coach Ford and staff did not try hard to keep Traore?

If a player does not like the school or coach they just leave.  Traore was going to play a lot this season and possibly start the season after so I do not think it was about playing time but I could be wrong.

The waiting is tough and to add to our frustration is that SLU has been turned down by 2 bigs.  I believe by June when players being evaluated by the NBA have to drop out or lose their eligibility there will be a lot of movement and as 3 Star and The Wiz has pointed out there are a lot of players still available.

I liked Traore, his energy is hard to match.  That being said, if we were wanting to be legit next year, we we going to need a player better than him to back up okoro.  Ford knows that, and Im sure either Traore knew that too, or Ford told him that.  Traore was going to be the 3rd big next year as well. 

CBFan likes this

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i asked this over the weekend and no one on the board really responded.   what opening do we have on staff that would give conklin a spot to be hired for and be allowed to coach and recruit per ncaa guidelines?  if no such spot exists someone has to be fired first before your coaching wish can happen.  i believe the ncaa has strict rules as to how many actual coaches can be on staff.   

The DBO position is open.  

23 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

You’re kidding. That is an idiotic rule.

Why?  

The Graduate Assistant role is aimed at students who want to earn a Post Graduate Degree, which Conklin already has, and get experience on the bench. Pay is basically the tuition for the grad school and the GA has to show progress towards a degree. What they can do regarding recruiting is highly limited. 

3 hours ago, ACE said:

Might be an opportunity to hire someone who happens to have a very talented relative who would be interested in signing with SLU.

We could have had Tre Mitchell if we wanted to hire Tony Bergeron as an Assistant.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Why?  

The Graduate Assistant role is aimed at students who want to earn a Post Graduate Degree, which Conklin already has, and get experience on the bench. Pay is basically the tuition for the grad school and the GA has to show progress towards a degree. What they can do regarding recruiting is highly limited. 

Is it the only post-grad degree that you cannot get unless you are 7 years from undergrad? If so, it is stupid. Lots of people go back to school. Why set arbitrary rules to limit people bettering themselves.

RUBillsFan likes this

7 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Is it the only post-grad degree that you cannot get unless you are 7 years from undergrad? If so, it is stupid. Lots of people go back to school. Why set arbitrary rules to limit people bettering themselves.

The list of stupid NCAA rules is long…

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Nothing here says you can't go back and get a post grad degree at anytime in your life.  Anyone can.  If you want a post grad degree, enroll and go get it.

Of course, if you want to be a Grad Assistant at Davidson, they reportedly don't have a grad school so you are out of luck.

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Nothing here says you can't go back and get a post grad degree at anytime in your life.  Anyone can.  If you want a post grad degree, enroll and go get it.

Of course, if you want to be a Grad Assistant at Davidson, they reportedly don't have a grad school so you are out of luck.

Isn’t it age discrimination? I can’t see the logic on their side. Let’s say that you worked for 25 years and retire as a CEO, and your second career will be as a coach. Well, just be prepared to have less opportunities, as set forth by the governing body of the sport. 

I am sure the logic is to avoid getting free labor from older people. But almost every career requires an internship. 

24 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Started his career at Indiana. Looks like he was injured for a good part of last year, which would explain the drop in production. Was very solid the prior year with very good rebounding numbers. Looks like a solid, second big, but does not bring the "stretch" element to his game that I would like to see. 

It appears he would be a solid addition.

He started 44 of 57 games at Temple. He missed time last year due to an extended illness, but they didn't say it was COVID. Looking at some video and his numbers, his game seems to have some similarities to Okoro. Like Okoro, very highly regarded out of high school.

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Started his career at Indiana. Looks like he was injured for a good part of last year, which would explain the drop in production. Was very solid the prior year with very good rebounding numbers. Looks like a solid, second big, but does not bring the "stretch" element to his game that I would like to see. 

It appears he would be a solid addition.

The more I think about it, I’m less and less concerned with having a stretch 4. I want as many minutes as possible with Perk, Yuri, GJim, Pick, FT, and what if Parker is really good, Hargrove will get minutes also and this does not account for a back up point. 

Let’s say we add a quality inside big and a back up point. We have 120 minutes between all of our guards and wings. I want Perk, Pick, and GJim on the floor 30 mpg each leaving 30 minutes for Parker, Thatch, and Hargrove plus the Frosh. The stretch 4 will have to be pretty damn good for me to really want him to take minutes

i agree with skip.   we need inside defender and good rebounder.   doubt he and okoro play much same time anyway.   

we got wings.   a lot of wings.

17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The more I think about it, I’m less and less concerned with having a stretch 4. I want as many minutes as possible with Perk, Yuri, GJim, Pick, FT, and what if Parker is really good, Hargrove will get minutes also and this does not account for a back up point. 

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree with skip.   we need inside defender and good rebounder.   doubt he and okoro play much same time anyway.   

we got wings.   a lot of wings.

Agree. Ford will continue to play 1 in and 4 out. So if you want a big playing out he has to shoot the three. What we need is someone to spell Okoro other than Thatch or Hargrove. I’m not sure if Forrester would be an upgrade over the departed Linssen.  But I’m also not sure we can land an upgrade.