Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

3 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

Evansville just fired their entire coaching staff.  Anyone on that roster that would fit the bill for our backup pg/cg or big?

Read that the 6 players left have until July 1 to enter the portal with the coaching change.  Two wild coach rumors already out there are Tom Crean and Butler Assist David Ragland (the one who recruited Turnbull).  He is from Evansville and went to S. Indiana there.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Read that the 6 players left have until July 1 to enter the portal with the coaching change.  Two wild coach rumors already out there are Tom Crean and Butler Assist David Ragland (the one who recruited Turnbull).  He is from Evansville and went to S. Indiana there.

My parents old home town college basketball program has been a mess for years.

It’s strange the last time I can remember Evansville being good is when Jim Crews was coach.

I would like to see Crean there and bring Evansville back from being the MVC doormat.  Evansville needs to spend the money to get a better coach.

2 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Was Marty Simmons their last coach?

No, Lickliter replaced Walter McCarty, who left in scandal in the middle of the 2019-2020 season. That team finished 0-18 in conference after upsetting Kentucky at Rupp. McCarty was there for just a year and a half after Simmons.

Evansville is about to be eclipsed locally by Southern Indiana, which is moving up to the OVC from D-II. Great facility, tons of success at the D-II level. Fourth program to jump to D-I from the GLVC in the past two decades, after SIUE, NKU, and Bellarmine.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

My parents old home town college basketball program has been a mess for years.

It’s strange the last time I can remember Evansville being good is when Jim Crews was coach.

I would like to see Crean there and bring Evansville back from being the MVC doormat.  Evansville needs to spend the money to get a better coach.

I trust your parents remember Larry Humes,  Jerry Sloan and Don Buse. Some pretty good players and teams. 

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@slufanskip--- once you ring up VCU and Dayton, who ya got?  Who in our A10 has been consistent over the years as those Big East teams I noted?  I guess I was trying to show that there are many more bottom feeders and inconsistent programs in the A10 than the Big East.  And Richmond ain't squat past these last two years and one was truly underachieving ---- COVID or not.  

I didn’t say the A10 was better than the Big East. You just listed top Big East Teams and bottom A10 teams as if that makes a point. At least list the top of both or the bottom of both

1 minute ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I would be thrilled to have Tom Crean at SLU.

the marquette days swore me off crean.    i dont have the ability to go from hate to love.  imo he was permanently damaged goods from that point. 

Old guy and CBFan like this

31 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

15-57 at UGA?  No thanks.  I’ll keep Travis.

Exactly.  Crean had a really good run at Marquette.  Did way better at Indiana turning the program around and churning out really good seasons (though rarely great) than anyone gives him credit for.  However, he was awful at Georgia.  I don't think he is any better than Ford at this point and maybe worse.  Coaching / recruiting has changed drastically since Crean's Marquette days and even a lot since his IU days.  

That being said - he's still a decently big name & Evansville may be a good fit if he can recruit top level MVC talent there.

21 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I thought you could only do the letter of intent once and then it was a "financial aid agreement" which can really be done anytime (unless that like everything else has changed in the last year or two)

If you are released from your NLI you can sign another NLI before May 18.  After May 18 you sign a financial agreement. 

hmart23 likes this

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

the marquette days swore me off crean.    i dont have the ability to go from hate to love.  imo he was permanently damaged goods from that point. 

Heck, he had D. Wade and Travis Diener. I could have been COY with those two. After that run…. Zilch, nada at 2 P5 big time schools where he easily could of built high power programs. 

Travis Ford is a great coach for us and kids who get recruited do not always blend with the system. We are lucky it is taking several years to build his program as we have been a stepping stone before. His following locally and recruiting locally is the best we have had-even exceeding Grawer. Travis Ford was a top performer as a player and shows signs of doing the same as a coach.

people complain about him playing eight players and for many years we had only one or two players on the whole team

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Heck, he had D. Wade and Travis Diener. I could have been COY with those two. After that run…. Zilch, nada at 2 P5 big time schools where he easily could of built high power programs. 

Zilich? Crean had 3 Sweet 16s in his 9 yrs at Indiana. Remind me again how many did Ford make it to the 2nd weekend at E Kentucky, UMass, OK State and here?

44 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Zilich? Crean had 3 Sweet 16s in his 9 yrs at Indiana. Remind me again how many did Ford make it to the 2nd weekend at E Kentucky, UMass, OK State and here?

You are talking Indiana. If they thought he was great he’d still be there. That’s a lifetime job in waiting for someone who wins. Sweet 16’s means little to Hoosiers. Hell, Davis took them to a final 4 and then……nada. Fired. IU expects to be final 4 just about every year. 

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

You are talking Indiana. If they thought he was great he’d still be there. That’s a lifetime job in waiting for someone who wins. Sweet 16’s means little to Hoosiers. Hell, Davis took them to a final 4 and then……nada. Fired. IU expects to be final 4 just about every year. 

IU after Knight is like UCLA after Wooden.

I take a Sweet 16 here. Just one in my old age.

brianstl, HoosierPal and Bills71 like this