Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

1 minute ago, ACE said:

The difference is, those big combinations did not have a perimeter threat.  Haase would bring that skill, making it a lot easier to play alongside another big.

Yep, plus Ford probably thought French for being shorter and just a sophomore could use the help.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

For those that have watched Haase play, is he a good enough passer to play with Okoro? Giving 30 mins to Haase or another new big does make the minutes difficult. You have 200 minutes to allocate a game. 30 minutes to the big does squeeze Gibby/Thatch/Pickett a bit.

My best guess to make that work:

Yuri: 35

Pickett: 20

Gibby: 25

Okoro: 30

Perkins: 30

Thatch: 20

Hargrove: 5

Haase/Big: 30

Back-up PG: 5

I would think Hargrove gets more than 5 minutes a game. (if he doesn't get more than 5 minutes a game, I'd bet he transfers at the end of the year.)

Also this does not include any minutes for Kramer, Larry Hughes Jr., or Thames. 

1 minute ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I would think Hargrove gets more than 5 minutes a game. (if he doesn't get more than 5 minutes a game, I'd bet he transfers at the end of the year.)

With our depth it's safe to say that our freshman won't be getting many minutes, if any, unless they majorly surprise us this year. 

bauman likes this

1 minute ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

That's kind of my point. I don't think Kramer, Hughes, or Thames get many minutes at all next year regardless of the big we bring in. I did forget Sincere Parker (who is expected to get minutes). I don't know how you can give 30 minutes to the new big without benching one of your contributors.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

12 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

For those that have watched Haase play, is he a good enough passer to play with Okoro? Giving 30 mins to Haase or another new big does make the minutes difficult. You have 200 minutes to allocate a game. 30 minutes to the big does squeeze Gibby/Thatch/Pickett a bit.

My best guess to make that work:

Okoro: 30

Haase/Big: 30

Okoro at 30 might be overly optimistic. His tendency to foul makes it difficult to stay in the game that long - I think we're looking at a hyper-efficient 25MPG center. Fifteen minutes at the 5 available for a backup that can hopefully make up the rest of their playing time at the 4. 

Haase would be a good get....

The figures below are his last year at Mercer and his last year at SC....As he got significantly more minutes at Mercer... 34.3 mpg  vs 23.5 , I have adjusted his numbers at SC to reflect what he would have done at SC with equal time...Those numbers are in parenthesis ....Obviously the percentages are not adjusted, just the raw numbers.

Games....MPG...FG%...3P%...FT%...Rebs.........Asts..........Stls.........Blks............TOs

SC...........23.5......41......41......82......3.8(5.6)....1.1(1.6)....0.5(.7)....0.3(.44)......1.5(2.2)

Mer..........34.3.....48......41......87.........5.6............3..............1.2..........0.5...............1.7

Takeaways....For those that think he has good numbers because he was at Mercer ...it just isn't true.  His numbers are similar to or  better than his SC numbers. His FG% has improved (mainly due to improved 2P shooting)...His FTs are better too.  Rebs and Blks are the same. Assts are up...Stls are slightly up and TOs are down.

Bottom line... I don't usually do a review on an "interest" player but this guy is good enough to do a pre review.

Let's get him

Young Charles and CBFan like this

2 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Okoro at 30 might be overly optimistic. His tendency to foul makes it difficult to stay in the game that long - I think we're looking at a hyper-efficient 25MPG center. Fifteen minutes at the 5 available for a backup that can hopefully make up the rest of their playing time at the 4. 

It still makes it hard to spread minutes out even if you subtract 5 from Okoro. Like I said above, I forgot Sincere Parker, so there's decent minutes there as well. I'm curious what others think the allocation would be if we devoted substantial minutes to another 4/5? Does this allocation keep everyone but Hargrove happy?

Okoro: 25

Parker: 10

Haase/Big: 25

54 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you don't think Isabell was guaranteed minutes, I've got a bridge to sell you.  He was mediocre for 2/3 of the season and still logged heavy minutes.

who else was going to play those minutes?Our depth was paper thin that year because of dismissing Santos preseason, Gordon jumping ship and Wiley’s injuries.  Isabel was our best option even when he wasn’t playing well.

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

"I don't complain about playing time.  My job is to play so well  the coach can't sit me."

Shane Battier

Duke and Miami Heat

Doesn't work that way anymore. You know kids want it handed to them before.

16 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

who else was going to play those minutes?Our depth was paper thin that year because of dismissing Santos preseason, Gordon jumping ship and Wiley’s injuries.  Isabel was our best option even when he wasn’t playing well.

Isabell played those minutes even with Gordon on the team.  He was going to play 32+ min a game no matter what he did.  Thatch was good against Butler and amazing against Dayton that year and still played way less minutes than Isabell in those games.

Our depth is paper thin in the frontcourt.  Why wouldn't Haase play about 25 min a game?

Bizziken likes this

I am sure if Haase comes here he is looking to start over FO. Not saying it will happen but I am sure what Ford has told him that the best players will get the majority of the minutes and all of these recruits are suprememly confident in their own abilities. I would also point out that FO's minutes were impacted by ML's injury. There were games he had to play more probably than was optimal while ML was out/recovering. I also think we need to be bigger vs. Dayton. They will be good and they have more size than we do. Would like to level that playing field.

3 minutes ago, shempie said:

I am sure if Haase comes here he is looking to start over FO. Not saying it will happen but I am sure what Ford has told him that the best players will get the majority of the minutes and all of these recruits are suprememly confident in their own abilities. I would also point out that FO's minutes were impacted by ML's injury. There were games he had to play more probably than was optimal while ML was out/recovering. I also think we need to be bigger vs. Dayton. They will be good and they have more size than we do. Would like to level that playing field.

I would think it is the opposite. If he comes here, he wants to play PF, and be a backup center. At 253 lbs, and a good shot, he can do both. I think he would play 35 minutes. We really would just have to balance ball handlers on the court as well. But I think it would be a good fit. 

Haase May also be a good fit for the A10. SLU May be a good fit for him. He was already at SC, and found that all have 4-5 PF/C, and playing time may be limited for anyone. He was able to see Yuri (and our team) play firsthand, so he knows he will be able to get the ball distributed well in the offense. But who knows.

8 minutes ago, shempie said:

Why would you assume that of Haase?

It looks like his shooting range compliments Okoro's inside game. He would get time at the 4 and 5. He would get some of the time that our wings have been getting at the 4 spot. His ability to defend and produce would dictate the minutes. He looks like a really good fit for this season. 

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Why would you assume that of Haase?

I don't think any successful recruiting pitch for an upperclassmen starts with "come be a complimentary player and play limited minutes". I would bet the conversation is more likely "minutes are earned in practice and based on production and if you outperform other options at your position, you will get more minutes". 

Again I am not saying he will start, but if he is competititve he thinks he has a shot at playing starters minutes. And I fully acknowledge this is my opinion, and it's all moot if they can play together at the 4&5. Would love to see that.

billiken_roy likes this

I think Yuri’s minutes might be cut back a bit.  With this team there should be a lot of blow outs.  So he might get to rest a bit more.  JP will have to work up to his minutes.  He won’t start off carting a heavy load.  Like mentioned above FO fouls a lot.  He’ll probably limit himself.  I think Gibby’s minutes could be cut a bit and that it would benefit him.  That dude worked hard every play last year to get open.  He’s non stop moving.  SP will be wait and see.  It took JP a while to come around.  So we’ll have to see how he adapts.  TH who knows.  I could see him getting more or lost on the bench.  I like watching him play.  But his ball handling skills are rough.  He’s also streaky so that could dictate how much he’s playing.  Hopefully he has a big growth in his game this year and forces coach to play him.  He can bring a lot of excitement.  I doubt the three freshman see much playing time.  Tough roster to crack especially if you’re a wing or shooting guard.  I would like to see one or two of the freshman redshirt this year.  Doubt that will happen but I think it could benefit them. I think Thatch and Pinson will split time.  Whoever is playing the best or matches up better will get more minutes.  

I hope being this deep we will press a lot more.  FT,JP,and TH would be fun to watch as a front 3 on the press here and there when Yuri needs a break.

I am a big fan of what Okoro did at the end of last season, but some on this board are projecting him as if he will be one of the best bigs in the country next season.  There were times last season, especially before the ankle injury, where Linssen was the better of the two.  I think that Ford is looking for that same sort of tandem situation for next season that he was supposed to have for most of last season with Okoro and Linssen.  The pitch is come play for a top 25 caliber team where you will be in a tandem with one other guy and get a lot of minutes.  I doubt any other team in the top 40 presently has only one other big on the roster to compete with.

38 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I am a big fan of what Okoro did at the end of last season, but some on this board are projecting him as if he will be one of the best bigs in the country next season.  There were times last season, especially before the ankle injury, where Linssen was the better of the two.  I think that Ford is looking for that same sort of tandem situation for next season that he was supposed to have for most of last season with Okoro and Linssen.  The pitch is come play for a top 25 caliber team where you will be in a tandem with one other guy and get a lot of minutes.  I doubt any other team in the top 40 presently has only one other big on the roster to compete with.

Even with Okoro as a major contributor/starter, we still have room for a guy like Haase and have plenty to offer him: there will be plenty of minutes as Okoro's backup / playing next to him in some lineups especially since he is foul prone, we are a top 25 caliber team.  Chaifetz is a great place to play, etc.

There seem to be a lot of MBMs who either don't think SLU is good enough to attract talented players or don't want to get good players for fear of upsetting current players who might lose playing time.

I'm fine with adding talented players and I think SLU is a very attractive option for big men right now.

Take a look at Butler who just added Manny Bates to an already crowded front court.  No reason SLU shouldn't be able to attract a quality big man even if Okoro is projected as the starter.

Manny Bates (Jr) - transferred in from NC State

Ali Ali (Jr) - transferred in from Akron

Jalen Thomas (Sr) - transferred in from Georgia State

John MIchael-Mulloy (Sr) - returning big who didn't play much

DJ Hughes (So) - returning big who didn't play much

Connor Turnbull (Fr) - re-recruited to Butler. SLU fans should be familiar with him.

3star_recruit likes this

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Buter has the Big East attraction

SLU is a projected top 25 team at/near the top of the A10 & Butler is a projected to be near the middle or bottom of the BE clearly ahead of only Georgetown & DePaul.  I don't see why conference alone would make Butler more attractive than SLU.

Closing the loop since he was mentioned in this thread:

Seemed like a long shot, but had SLU connections via our former OSU guys.  Not much of a shooter, but he could have been a dynamic CG who could backup PG & play with Yuri filling in just about anywhere else because of his size.