Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

55 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

His OSU career didn’t overlap at all with Ford or Phil Forte, but he played his fr & soph seasons with SLU grad assistant Thomas Dziagwa and he would also be familiar with SLU strength coach Jake Manzelmann.

He and Forte know each other from the DFW AAU scene.

RUBillsFan likes this

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Guessing he'll go big time.

Yes he will.  But I'll be pretty surprised if there's no communication between SLU and Smith, I do think we will be involved to some extent. 

Coach314 likes this

4 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

He's boys with Goodwin, so maybe he'll put in a good word...

Boys with Goodwin. playing his final year in front of family. Preseason T25 at the absolute very least. Probably already knows a few players on the team. 

To say we have no chance may be a little extreme, it will be a challenge to get him, but for not being a blue blood or big time P5, we have everything else to get him. 

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Boys with Goodwin. playing his final year in front of family. Preseason T25 at the absolute very least. Probably already knows a few players on the team. 

To say we have no chance may be a little extreme, it will be a challenge to get him, but for not being a blue blood or big time P5, we have everything else to get him. 

While all of those things are true, $$$ is the answer to basically all transfers at this point.

He's probably still at Wake this morning, guessing he's headed back north today. It's weird how quiet it's been - there was the 336 Edits tweet that got like 5 replies from Wake fans, and that's the only chatter I saw anywhere. No articles, no other posts. He has been quiet on social media for a few days. Maybe we'll see some activity today around that visit.

Regardless, I'd bet he commits pretty soon. Maybe takes today to get home and talk it over with the family, then we see something official tomorrow. Just a hunch based on how this has gone. The only way this gets delayed is if another school gets involved today.

3star_recruit likes this

This is both amazing and depressing.  Over 1300 names in the portal. That's close to 30% of all D1 players.  Jeff Goodman has it broken down by conference. This will be accurate for about another hour as the portal is open until May 1.  44 players jumped in the past 2 days.

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's actually over 1,500. Last year was a little over 1,700 (I'm guessing that's a July 1 to July 1 number) so it's getting close.

I expect players 11-13 on just about every roster to be in the portal every year.  So if you take 3 X 350 teams, that's about 1000 players right there.

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I expect players 11-13 on just about every roster to be in the portal every year.  So if you take 3 X 350 teams, that's about 1000 players right there.

At some point I would have to think freshman will know theres no reason to leave after first year. 

48 minutes ago, ACE said:

Kobe Clark to SEMO. That seems about right. I figured a Lindenwood/SIUE/SEMO level.

What is Lindenwood's level? Are they just gonna use the players they have from the d2 level?

It still shocks me how bad SEMO is yearly.  It's close to both Memphis and STL - hot beds for basketballs, and feels like that area produces some decent talent for its size. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

At some point I would have to think freshman will know theres no reason to leave after first year. 

Depends on how the end of season meeting with the head coach went. Most coaches should give a player a pretty good indication of whether or not seeing game minutes is a possibility the next season.

Even as a freshman, if you were just told you probably won't even get in the rotation until year 3, I could a fresh start elsewhere looking pretty appealing.

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I hear you.  Traore will have to play his next three years at his new school before transferring again without penalty.  Maybe he knows that but I'm not sure all freshmen do.

We have to navigate this off-season plus two more off-seasons before the Extra Covid Year runs out. Once it is gone, minutes will open up again for underclassmen.  I'd think that the transfers would go down accordingly. 

The 23-24 off-season likely will be the same scramble.  But as the numbers of Extra Year Players start to slim down, let's hope the mad dash to the portal cools off a bit.

It will also be interesting to see how or if the NCAA considers players with multiple transfers.  This was originally labeled as a One Time Transfer rule.   But as we have seen this before, all you need was a pulse for the NCAA to grant waivers.  With new blood coming into the NCAA head shed, which way will waiver handouts go?  [Perhaps players will be able to transfer at half time of a given game, playing one half for each team.]

Bizziken likes this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

I just read that SIUE signed a guy named Demarco "Polo" Minor, and I am disappointed that I was not aware of his existence before now.

Good for Demarco Polo for signing with SIUE. It sounds like he's found himself. 

58 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What is Lindenwood's level? Are they just gonna use the players they have from the d2 level?

It still shocks me how bad SEMO is yearly.  It's close to both Memphis and STL - hot beds for basketballs, and feels like that area produces some decent talent for its size. 

SEMO had a losing record last season but was much improved.

Former Billiken Phillip Russell is on that team and had a 30 point game.

I hope Clark will help them get to a winning record.

5 minutes ago, CBFan said:

SEMO had a losing record last season but was much improved.

Former Billiken Phillip Russell is on that team and had a 30 point game.

I hope Clark will help them get to a winning record.

I'd like to see Semo get to a consistent level. Some schools in the area we compete against for recruiting, SIU's Semo, Lindenwood, etc not so much, id like to see those schools do well.