Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

Do we need a score first point guard or a pass first point guard?  I think that Pinson would fall into the first category.  With the scoring potential we have in the rest of our roster, I think we want a passer.

Pass-first point guards who are also an offensive threat are a dying breed .  That's why Yuri is such a hot commodity in the portal.  What you have in the portal is a bunch of combo guards. 

If you have your heart set on a point guard, you may have to pick on an unproven guy sitting on the end of a high major bench or a low-major guy like Deandre Jones.  We saw what our team looked like with a Jones-caliber player versus Northern Iowa.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Do we need a score first point guard or a pass first point guard?  I think that Pinson would fall into the first category.  With the scoring potential we have in the rest of our roster, I think we want a passer.

pass first ideally since only Perkins can truly create his own shot.  

That being said pinson averaged 4.8 assist last year.  pinson can pass pretty well, and I'd actually say Pinson is better at passing downlow than Yuri.  

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

pass first ideally since only Perkins can truly create his own shot.  

That being said pinson averaged 4.8 assist last year.  pinson can pass pretty well, and I'd actually say Pinson is better at passing downlow than Yuri.  

There is not a single player on our roster who is in the conversation of being as good at any type of passing as Yuri. 

That’s why we’ve gotta find one. There aren’t many in the whole country, so oughta be hard, but I will echo others and say that there can’t be a much more attractive destination right now with all things considered. 

If we land Carr our PG will follow. Even if we don’t I bet we see one real soon. 

There is a prevailing desire for a Stretch 4 on this board or at least a vocal group.  I understand the desire we saw it work under Majerus.  It makes sense if you have a good rebounder and/or strong rebounding guys and guys that can get to the hoop off the dribble you clear out space by having a big man on the perimeter.  However, I'm not sure that jives with any system I've seen Ford run.  He's recruited a few that never really saw the floor and they left.  Am I wrong here?

I think a stretch 4 would be good to clear space for Okoro inside and Perkins, Thatch, TJ to drive the lane.  I'm just not convinced it fits in Ford's offensive scheme.

I think Askew would tear up the A10 he really came on strong at the end of last season in the best conference in the land.  I think Ramey would be even better.  Both would be a dream.

majerus mojo and Bizziken like this

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

There is a prevailing desire for a Stretch 4 on this board or at least a vocal group.  I understand the desire we saw it work under Majerus.  It makes sense if you have a good rebounder and/or strong rebounding guys and guys that can get to the hoop off the dribble you clear out space by having a big man on the perimeter.  However, I'm not sure that jives with any system I've seen Ford run.  He's recruited a few that never really saw the floor and they left.  Am I wrong here?

I think a stretch 4 would be good to clear space for Okoro inside and Perkins, Thatch, TJ to drive the lane.  I'm just not convinced it fits in Ford's offensive scheme.

Ya, I do think we(me included) just love the idea of a stretch 4, even if its not important. But that said, unless im missing someone, all of fords Stretch 4 types have all been added as frosh without any track record/ proven ability to actually play.  Another think interesting with Carr is his passing.  

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I want someone who organizes the offense first, and second is able to create something when the clock is under 5 seconds.  We played too much, dribble Yuri, dribble, basketball.  [Was this on Ford or Yuri, I don't know.]  Get the play moving, get the ball moving, and know two steps ahead where the play is going.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Sure it is.   It was basically brought up young Jones could be our point guard.   I just feel between the two I'd rather have and would play Thames before Jones.  

Is he ready?  I don't know.  Hopefully we find someone more experienced.   But wouldn't be the first time we threw an unproven at the college level freshman point guard on the floor crossing our fingers.   It's not like Thames is coming with no accomplishments prior to setting foot on campus.   

So why would you prefer Jones?

No, you responded on my post and I never brought Jones up someone else did.  I only asked if you were saying Thames was ready to take over the pg role and you never answered that.

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I want someone who organizes the offense first, and second is able to create something when the clock is under 5 seconds.  We played too much, dribble Yuri, dribble, basketball.  [Was this on Ford or Yuri, I don't know.]  Get the play moving, get the ball moving, and know two steps ahead where the play is going.

i would guess mostly ford.   oherwise one would hope ford would have taken out. 

Just now, cheeseman said:

No, you responded on my post and I never brought Jones up someone else did.  I only asked if you were saying Thames was ready to take over the pg role and you never answered that.

because the subject was jones being the point guard.   sheesh.   arent you supposed to be some sort of academic?  my gosh.  ive already commented i hope we find someone with more experience but if the subject i was commenting on, the not happened yet emergence of jones from east st louis comes to the billikens, i am saying i'd play thames over him.   

Just now, billiken_roy said:

because the subject was jones being the point guard.   sheesh.   arent you supposed to be some sort of academic?  my gosh.  ive already commented i hope we find someone with more experience but if the subject i was commenting on, the not happened yet emergence of jones from east st louis comes to the billikens, i am saying i'd play thames over him.   

Roy, you can not mix and match posts and assume that the posters are saying the same thing.  It is exactly my training that tells me that you have to respond specifically to what the person is saying.  Now if you had just made a general post not connected to any other post then yes but you didn't - my gosh sheesh.

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Roy, you can not mix and match posts and assume that the posters are saying the same thing.  It is exactly my training that tells me that you have to respond specifically to what the person is saying.  Now if you had just made a general post not connected to any other post then yes but you didn't - my gosh sheesh.

i have no idea what you are talking about.   i made a comment on the post about jones being the point guard and i said i'd rather have thames than jones.   what is not to understand about that?   you were the one that then went with a question about is thames ready which wasnt ever my point.   i was only saying i would rather have thames than jones.   

in an effort to answer YOUR off track question, i said i would hope we would find someone with more experience.   but between jones and thames again i would rather have thames.   not sure why you cant follow that.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i have no idea what you are talking about.   i made a comment on the post about jones being the point guard and i said i'd rather have thames than jones.   what is not to understand about that?   you were the one that then went with a question about is thames ready which wasnt ever my point.   i was only saying i would rather have thames than jones.   

in an effort to answer YOUR off track question, i said i would hope we would find someone with more experience.   but between jones and thames again i would rather have thames.   not sure why you cant follow that.  

To be clear, You are saying you think we should quit recruiting pg's so that Thames can be the starter right? 

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

To be clear, You are saying you think we should quit recruiting pg's so that Thames can be the starter right? 

no i am saying he is better than the point guard from east st louis jones that decommitted from mi$$ouri but i think we should find someone with more experience to be our new point guard.  

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

we don't need two "project" freshman. And if you ask me, Thames has higher potential.

billiken_roy likes this

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

we don't need two "project" freshman. And if you ask me, Thames has higher potential.

finally someone gets it!

drkelsey55 likes this

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Why does it matter whether roster spots 11-13 are freshmen or journeymen?  If players that far down your bench are playing the season is lost anyway.

Id rather gamble on a player who lets say  is a center and scored 6 ppg at hofsta, bring him in, and hope hes as good if not better than okoro.  Worst case, he ends up in the 11-13 spot like the freshman guard. 

more importantly, the transfer is less likely to transfer again vs the freshman. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I think you guys are mixing up your Joneses.

The original statement was about a Deandre Jones caliber player. 

Not the ESTL Jones.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

no i am saying he is better than the point guard from east st louis jones that decommitted from mi$$ouri but i think we should find someone with more experience to be our new point guard.  

Roy, It was sarcasm. I understood 100% what you were saying

billiken_roy likes this

Kansas City’s 6’8 forward Josiah Allick in the portal. Solid player who averaged 12.9 and 6.1 for the Roos, playing 27 mpg. Has three point range, 75% FT shooter, and played well against us in Dec. of ‘20. Averaged 15 a game last year. Kansas City’s coach decided he’s had enough of college coaching and is moving on.

Allick would be a good pick up for us.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Kansas City’s 6’8 forward Josiah Allick in the portal. Solid player who averaged 12.9 and 6.1 for the Roos, playing 27 mpg. Has three point range, 75% FT shooter, and played well against us in Dec. of ‘20. Averaged 15 a game last year. Kansas City’s coach decided he’s had enough of college coaching and is moving on.

Allick would be a good pick up for us.

I'm interested in what the coach said.  Did he mention the NIL / portal mess?  Any links to quotes would be interesting to read.