Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Im not sure anyone is saying that today, we're a T25 team.  What people keep saying is with the pieces we have and the amount of scholarships we possess, we're not far from getting that T25 look again. We don't have to get a yuri type or better, we can get a really good stretch 4 or back up big, and a very capable PG or 2 and be right where we were before Yuri left - potentially better depending on who the starting PG is. 

Ok but until that happen it hasn't happened.

10 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I don't know how familiar you are at the talent level at Principia, but they certainly won't be playing a national schedule.

Fun fact - I had a very inefficient 11 & 4 @ Principia in 2011

lol, I'm not. 

I'm just going off of what Jay said, which he himself said his goal is for a national schedule for 23/24 season.  Coach has had some medicals problems, which is why im not sure how serious he is about this job.  But he's also not one to half-arse things so. 

11 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Not saying this is who TC is talking about, but Grad Transfer Eric Hunter Jr. is being followed by our coaching staff on social media. 6pts/2ast and Big10 All Defense last season. Would be nice to add a lock down perimeter defender.

Wow Eric Hunter Jr. would be a dream pickup. Great defender. Didn’t shoot the ball much last year but when he did he was pretty efficient (43%/44%). Everyone check your couch cushions. 

I tried to compile all of this here but the website kept crashing for me and deleting the draft. 

I put a lot of good film into this thread and WOW do I like what I’ve seen so far. I was surprised to see that he shoots the 3 on such a small sample size but with the green light to increase that I think we could see similar percentages at a significantly higher rate. 

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Wow Eric Hunter Jr. would be a dream pickup. 

Hunter, along with a WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHERS, is also going through the NBA evaluation. Those players have until June 1 to withdraw and retain college eligibility.  So do you wait until Memorial Day-ish for the possibility of a player like Hunter, or do you grab someone earlier?  I don't know.

18 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Hunter, along with a WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHERS, is also going through the NBA evaluation. Those players have until June 1 to withdraw and retain college eligibility.  So do you wait until Memorial Day-ish for the possibility of a player like Hunter, or do you grab someone earlier?  I don't know.

For Hunter? Yes. PG is clearly priority number 1 followed by stretch 4/big man. We have 4 spots open. Not sure how this all works but I’d imagine what we don’t want to wait on is a PG?

Not that we have a realistic shot…

13 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

For Hunter? Yes. PG is clearly priority number 1 followed by stretch 4/big man. We have 4 spots open. Not sure how this all works but I’d imagine what we don’t want to wait on is a PG?

Not that we have a realistic shot…

And there you go.  Hard to put your eggs into a June 1 basket.  If you fail, you are in a tough spot.  How many other PG's are still on the board in June?   No good answer here.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

That wasn't the question.

Sure it is.   It was basically brought up young Jones could be our point guard.   I just feel between the two I'd rather have and would play Thames before Jones.  

Is he ready?  I don't know.  Hopefully we find someone more experienced.   But wouldn't be the first time we threw an unproven at the college level freshman point guard on the floor crossing our fingers.   It's not like Thames is coming with no accomplishments prior to setting foot on campus.   

So why would you prefer Jones?

26 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

This guy looks like one of our answers to a better 2022-23 season

I was referring to Andrew Carr. A stretch 4 brings rebounds and a nose for the ball we missed the last few years. Yes we need a point guard but if we have several better shooters a ball handler who can see the court will be passing to a higher percentage player- if the shot is missed there is no assist

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Andrew Carr (Delaware) is on campus today. Stretch forward, rapidly developing. Cancelled his Wichita State visit to come here. Davidson and Virginia Tech were thought to be the leaders, with VCU also in the mix. More of a 4 to line up with Okoro but could also play backup as a 5 when needed. Would give us some frontcourt versatility, even if we still need some depth there.

Davidson just landed a nice stretch big from Buffalo, so this would seem to take them out of the Carr sweepstakes.

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

And there you go.  Hard to put your eggs into a June 1 basket.  If you fail, you are in a tough spot.  How many other PG's are still on the board in June?   No good answer here.

Is Hunter a PG? I thought he was more of a 2/3? 

13 minutes ago, ACE said:

Davidson just landed a nice stretch big from Buffalo, so this would seem to take them out of the Carr sweepstakes.

Yeah, I think that's right. And VCU just signed the transfer forward from Michigan. Virginia Tech is looking like the strongest competitor on paper.

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Sure it is.   It was basically brought up young Jones could be our point guard.   I just feel between the two I'd rather have and would play Thames before Jones.  

Is he ready?  I don't know.  Hopefully we find someone more experienced.   But wouldn't be the first time we threw an unproven at the college level freshman point guard on the floor crossing our fingers.   It's not like Thames is coming with no accomplishments prior to setting foot on campus.   

So why would you prefer Jones?

So this whole thing is a hypothetical based on whether we had a DeAndre Jones-type player available? That's how I interpreted slufan13's comment.

This was throwing me off because we'd also recently talked about Christian Jones (ESL HS, Mizzou decommit), who thinks of himself as a big combo guard.

DeAndre is gone and I have no idea if Christian is someone they're reaching out to for longer-term positional depth.

I like Thames better than Christian Jones, but I don't think either player is ready to be handed the keys to a D-I program right now. Thames to me looks like a versatile role player who needs to add to his frame, and I like his long-term potential. I don't expect to see a lot of him this season.

billiken_roy likes this

18 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Is Hunter a PG? I thought he was more of a 2/3? 

Hunter is a combo guard but Purdue is where assist numbers go to die.  Matt Painter doesn't employ a traditional point guard in his offense.  He believes in a bunch of players who share the ball.  So you have 3-4 guys averaging 2-3 apg.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, I think that's right. And VCU just signed the transfer forward from Michigan. Virginia Tech is looking like the strongest competitor on paper.

Does Aluma come back for VT for his 5th year? While they could play 2 stretch 4's at once, do they want to do that?

Aluma is 6'9 and shoots 33%.  

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Per this article, VT has two spots left and is prioritizing John Camden (6-8, 210) from Memphis for one of them.

Keve Aluma and Justyn Mutts (both forwards) are both testing the NBA draft waters. I think VT is expecting both to be back but if they left, the frontcourt would open up a lot more.

They also have a 7-foot HS commitment coming in.

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Does Aluma come back for VT for his 5th year? While they could play 2 stretch 4's at once, do they want to do that?

Aluma is 6'9 and shoots 33%.  

Yeah, he'd be waiting out both Aluma and Mutts to decide/announce if he's thinking VT.

SLU is wiiiiiiide open.

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

Pinson is ranked 1 spot higher in available PGs in the portal than yuri. Not saying that ranking is everything, but at the very least they are close to each other talent wise. 

Do we need a score first point guard or a pass first point guard?  I think that Pinson would fall into the first category.  With the scoring potential we have in the rest of our roster, I think we want a passer.

billiken_roy likes this

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

Andrew Carr (Delaware) is on campus today. Stretch forward, rapidly developing. Cancelled his Wichita State visit to come here. Davidson and Virginia Tech were thought to be the leaders, with VCU also in the mix. More of a 4 to line up with Okoro but could also play backup as a 5 when needed. Would give us some frontcourt versatility, even if we still need some depth there.

Wonder why this kid is transferring.  His father and his uncle both played for Delaware.

Looks like he would come in as just a sophomore.

2 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Do we need a score first point guard or a pass first point guard?  I think that Pinson would fall into the first category.  With the scoring potential we have in the rest of our roster, I think we want a passer.

if we had 5 scorers would we need a"point" guard?