Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Bilzz said:

For anyone that knows the St. Louis scene, could Kasubke serve as a the back-up PG? I watched him at the Higland tournament his senior year and I think I remember him running the point. Just wondering if a Kasubke/Bradford double signing would make sense?

Kasubke is a 2/3. Ball handling seems to be one of the weaker parts of his game. I don’t think we want to rely on him as a primary ball handler. I’d certainly take him as a shooter off the bench though. 

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

I hope that Ford/staff are working certain channels to reach out to guys who may not even be in the transfer portal yet or who aren't even thinking about transferring. It's not the "right" way but it's probably how you have to play the game these days. I would like a guy who has NCAA tournament experience too even if it's from a 14-16 seed type of team. As others have said, we don't necessarily need a guy who comes in and averages 7 assists per game. Someone who can take care of the ball and defend at a decent level is acceptable and anything else they contribute is gravy

19 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I hope that Ford/staff are working certain channels to reach out to guys who may not even be in the transfer portal yet or who aren't even thinking about transferring. It's not the "right" way but it's probably how you have to play the game these days. I would like a guy who has NCAA tournament experience too even if it's from a 14-16 seed type of team. As others have said, we don't necessarily need a guy who comes in and averages 7 assists per game. Someone who can take care of the ball and defend at a decent level is acceptable and anything else they contribute is gravy

I sincerely hope we are NOT doing this. 

If SLU taught me anything, it is the importance of the Jesuit values and being "Men and Women for others."

I love SLU basketball and want them to win more than I want most things. However, there is more to life than winning. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather see SLU be mediocre and ethical. 

slufanskip, Marlow, Zink and 4 others like this

29 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I went back and watched Sports Plus where Frank sat down with Ford on April 10th. Watching it now, the knife twists a little further.  Like most have said,  this process with Yuri has been going on for some time:

Frank [regarding SLU current players] : "Do you have to constantly call and check in with them with the options and power they have? "

Ford "Well, what's unfortunate is that you have some college head coaches and staffs that will call your players even if they're not in the portal.  I totally disagree with that.  That's not something I allow my coaches to do so you've got to be on top of those types of things because when you have good players people are going to come after them unfortunately.  They do that in the wrong way at times. 

40 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

I went back and watched Sports Plus where Frank sat down with Ford on April 10th. Watching it now, the knife twists a little further.  Like most have said,  this process with Yuri has been going on for some time:

Frank [regarding SLU current players] : "Do you have to constantly call and check in with them with the options and power they have? "

Ford "Well, what's unfortunate is that you have some college head coaches and staffs that will call your players even if they're not in the portal.  I totally disagree with that.  That's not something I allow my coaches to do so you've got to be on top of those types of things because when you have good players people are going to come after them unfortunately.  They do that in the wrong way at times. 

Sounds good

44 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

The hole in the system is that College Booster Bob can talk to your AAU Coach Carl anytime, anyplace, and 'pass along' information, interest, deals, or anything else.  This is totally outside of the framework of the Athletic Department on both ends.  

22 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Sounds good

coach, i have grown to like your billikens.com participation, but the last few days you sound more and more like the street agents so many of us detest.   this response has a tone that is patronizing and sarcastic and it seems like you condone all that has went on with this whole collins clustermess.   

crymdg has provided the context where ford details the gray area action by unethical programs that seems to fit this whole thing.   and your comment is "sounds good"?   what does that mean?   why do you even bother to respond if that is your comment?   

look i think most of us dont blame yuri for the end result.   my gosh it's likely more money then he ever imagined if the rumored figure is correct.   our real issue is the whole way it was handled and the disrespect and non courtesy collins showed to coach ford, saint louis university, the rest of the coaching staff, the great fans of the billikens.   it was not the way to handle this and all concerned deserved better than that.  

imo, it is unfixable.  at this point collins should probably just go ahead and head to tennessee and not look back.   we as billiken fans are somewhat used to being treated as such so we will all survive.   but for him to expect a ticker tape parade if he indeed does change his mind for some ungodly reason (that reason might have a good deal of zeroes attached) well it isnt going to happen imo.   

to the rest of the billiken fandom.  help a common mbm out.   why in the world do these young players think it is needed to publish their intent on twitter, or instagram or wherever for all the world to see?   why dont they just transact the "negotiations" privately and when it is a definite ending, then at that point if you want to publish your little goodbye letter heartlessly explaining your decision and result and hollow thanks and apology for all everyone did for you?   instead all this venom that has been heaped upon the player surely is understood.  the player brought it on himself.    not that it wouldnt have come out later, but you wouldnt have subjected yourself to all that leading up to the end.   maybe that was the intent?   generate enough bad blood you have more of a reason to turn and run?   dont matter you got the money.   that's all that mattered right?

Old guy, HenryB and pakapablo like this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

coach, i have grown to like your billikens.com participation, but the last few days you sound more and more like the street agents so many of us detest.   this response has a tone that is patronizing and sarcastic and it seems like you condone all that has went on with this whole collins clustermess.   

crymdg has provided the context where ford details the gray area action by unethical programs that seems to fit this whole thing.   and your comment is "sounds good"?   what does that mean?   why do you even bother to respond if that is your comment?   

look i think most of us dont blame yuri for the end result.   my gosh it's likely more money then he ever imagined if the rumored figure is correct.   our real issue is the whole way it was handled and the disrespect and non courtesy collins showed to coach ford, saint louis university, the rest of the coaching staff, the great fans of the billikens.   it was not the way to handle this and all concerned deserved better than that.  

imo, it is unfixable.  at this point collins should probably just go ahead and head to tennessee and not look back.   we as billiken fans are somewhat used to being treated as such so we will all survive.   but for him to expect a ticker tape parade if he indeed does change his mind for some ungodly reason (that reason might have a good deal of zeroes attached) well it isnt going to happen imo.   

to the rest of the billiken fandom.  help a common mbm out.   why in the world do these young players think it is needed to publish their intent on twitter, or instagram or wherever for all the world to see?   why dont they just transact the "negotiations" privately and when it is a definite ending, then at that point if you want to publish your little goodbye letter heartlessly explaining your decision and result and hollow thanks and apology for all everyone did for you?   instead all this venom that has been heaped upon the player surely is understood.  the player brought it on himself.    not that it wouldnt have come out later, but you wouldnt have subjected yourself to all that leading up to the end.   maybe that was the intent?   generate enough bad blood you have more of a reason to turn and run?   dont matter you got the money.   that's all that mattered right?

well said roy

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

to the rest of the billiken fandom.  help a common mbm out.   why in the world do these young players think it is needed to publish their intent on twitter, or instagram or wherever for all the world to see?   why dont they just transact the "negotiations" privately and when it is a definite ending, then at that point if you want to publish your little goodbye letter heartlessly explaining your decision and result and hollow thanks and apology for all everyone did for you?   instead all this venom that has been heaped upon the player surely is understood

First well said on the above. 

- to answer this question, coaches take to twitter to find news on players.  

also the amount of followers players have helps them build their brand.  News, good or bad to certain fans, builds just that. 

Just now, wgstl said:

First well said on the above. 

- to answer this question, coaches take to twitter to find news on players.  

also the amount of followers players have helps them build their brand.  News, good or bad to certain fans, builds just that. 

maybe so but again builds animosity, burns bridges and just downright not the right way to treat those that just gave you a lot of love for maybe years.  at least wait till it's over.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

maybe so but again builds animosity, burns bridges and just downright not the right way to treat those that just gave you a lot of love for maybe years.  at least wait till it's over.  

I agree, but that's not the way that generation does things, and I guess since maybe its due to me only being 31, Ive quickly learned that it is way it is now. 

2 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

If SLU taught me anything, it is the importance of the Jesuit values and being "Men and Women for others."

I love SLU basketball and want them to win more than I want most things. However, there is more to life than winning. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather see SLU be mediocre and ethical. 

This is where I’m at too.

2 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

When it comes to basketball, I just want to win.  I don't care how the sausage is made.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

At this point in the Yuri saga if he were to come back and there were $$$'s attached to his return, I don't know if his image would be much improved. Plus he'd be under a ton of pressure, ie how much did that TO cost? 

If I was another player on the team and realized Yuri got all this money because he threatened to leave, I'd be pissed. I would guess this would be bad for team chemistry...

MB73 and slufan13 like this

2 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

If I was another player on the team and realized Yuri got all this money because he threatened to leave, I'd be pissed. I would guess this would be bad for team chemistry...

Did I miss where all this talk about Yuri maybe re-committing with NIL money is coming from? Is that speculation or did a semi-serious source say that is a possibility?

16 hours ago, Bilzz said:

For anyone that knows the St. Louis scene, could Kasubke serve as a the back-up PG? I watched him at the Higland tournament his senior year and I think I remember him running the point. Just wondering if a Kasubke/Bradford double signing would make sense?

Isn't the top PG available in the portal another kid from K-State?  Let's just sign all three and be done.