Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

Just now, Dr Bird said:

Does NIL money negate the great recruiters?  Could someone like Soderberg (not a good recruiter, but a good bench coach) now have a greater chance for success if he had boosters willing to handout NIL money?

I think so. Dead presidents recruit pretty well. 

SLU_Lax likes this

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

If my fears of splitting D1 come true (won't be tomorrow but I fear it's coming) I won't pay what I pay now for my tickets if at all.

Something has to change or we are doomed

Change is coming sooner rather than later to college basketball and I think SLU will be fine.  I would strongly encourage SLU to be very proactive with NIL and do everything in its power to get to the Big East just to be safe.  

i dont know why yuri would be tired of ford.    ford pretty much gave him the keys to the cadillac and told him he could do whatever he wanted.  you can probably count on one hand the number of times ford "yanked" yuri in the last three years.   heck nesbitt or hargrove both probably got yanked in one half of one game more than yuri got yanked in his entire billiken career.   could almost say ford made yuri collins what he is today.   so i am not buying that line at all.   Ford should be about the last person yuri should be upset at.

i say he isnt upset at anyone.   he is just taking his ball and going to a different level.   at least in his mind.   i say he better find a team that actually needs a point guard.   not many of the big boys existing point guards are gonna get beat out.  he might end up playing less minutes and seeing less opportunities.

37 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont know why yuri would be tired of ford.    ford pretty much gave him the keys to the cadillac and told him he could do whatever he wanted.  you can probably count on one hand the number of times ford "yanked" yuri in the last three years.   heck nesbitt or hargrove both probably got yanked in one half of one game more than yuri got yanked in his entire billiken career.   could almost say ford made yuri collins what he is today.   so i am not buying that line at all.   Ford should be about the last person yuri should be upset at.

i say he isnt upset at anyone.   he is just taking his ball and going to a different level.   at least in his mind.   i say he better find a team that actually needs a point guard.   not many of the big boys existing point guards are gonna get beat out.  he might end up playing less minutes and seeing less opportunities.

If he does land at UT there is an opening for a PG as Kennedy Chandler their 5 Star PG will be drafted in the NBA 1st round. They did have another player in Frosh Zakai Ziegler who did get significant minutes last year. ZZ is a nice change of pace player who brings a lot to the floor but I see Yuri as the starter with ZZ as a backup if Yuri does head to UT as anticipated.

4 minutes ago, Eadsbee said:

Christian Jones has reopened his recruitment.  Might be a fit at SLU.  Will be interesting to see what kinds of other programs now offer him.

Nooo thank you 

1) we don’t need 2 pgs with no experience 

2) Jones isn’t an ideal college Pg 

Is this not an easy sell to a decent pg somewhere..."come to SLU and run an offense that led the nation in assists.".....offense should be in double quotes but you get the gist.

I actually don't mind Yuri leaving....without him our offense sucked but maybe we relied on him dribbling too much anyhow. This will force us to run an actual offense.

Plus, I would take a pg who isn't afraid to shoot like Yuri.

if we had choice to trade Yuri for Perkins b4 we knew JP was returning I may have done that. I luv the whole assist thing but again I see similarities to Cam Newton. No one will ever touch his rushing TDs for a QB record but he also will never handle a Super Bowl trophy. Watching a player avg 25+ more exciting than 10 As per game imo

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

At first I was upset about the big schools wanting their own league and tournament.  I have changed my mind it is time.

A SLU education is good enough compensation to play basketball for 4 years at SLU.

For the fans that want to watch the NBA minor league schools knock yourself out but never call your players students or amateurs.

There would be almost 300 D1 schools and the A10 would be a top league if the big schools have their semi pro league.

I am a SLU fan for real student athletes, SLU has nothing in common with schools that want to pay 200k for players.

In the end real college players will win out because money corrupts and the problems money causes with players in the pros will be an issue in the college semi pro league.

Fans will want to watch real students playing instead of dealing with a semi pro players.

CBFan stands for College Ball Fan I dislike pro sports because of players behavior, strikes and greed.

Dr Bird and AGB91 like this

5 hours ago, TJHawk said:

Change is coming sooner rather than later to college basketball and I think SLU will be fine.  I would strongly encourage SLU to be very proactive with NIL and do everything in its power to get to the Big East just to be safe.  

What you think slu wasnt trying up to now?  You need to wake up out of your land of unicorns and rainbows.   You P5 slugs will be fine.  You have no idea what we deal with.

I have no idea if Randy K 200k is close to being accurate but if it is there is way we can win that game . If true do you blame  Yuri for taking it?  I understand we are still trying to complete the fundraising for the Champion Center. I have no idea of Chaifetz or Kavanaugh’s cash flow but they are already being tapped. Singfield gave the University 50 million but would probably rather buy politicians then basketball players. In other words it ain’t easy .

2 minutes ago, willie said:

I have no idea if Randy K 200k is close to being accurate but if it is there is way we can win that game . If true do you blame  Yuri for taking it?  I understand we are still trying to complete the fundraising for the Champion Center. I have no idea of Chaifetz or Kavanaugh’s cash flow but they are already being tapped. Singfield gave the University 50 million but would probably rather buy politicians then basketball players. In other words it ain’t easy .

I guess this is why I’m upset.  Relying on rich alumni to buy the program’s success.  Recruitment and development and getting to know the players over the 4 years journey is what made this game different and cool.  Now it seems all of that is ruined 

CBFan likes this

I don't necessarily think NIL's are the end of life as we know it. It does change the landscape, though. Moneyball has come to college basketball...and we are the Athletics.

We need to focus on building out our talent evaluation infrastructure. In addition to high school and JuCo players, there are so many players on the transfer market nowadays that it's gotta be impossible for our staff to effectively analyze them all. It's a firehose of information and there needs to be a method to the madness. It's a numbers game.

There are 75 P6 schools with roughly 975 scholarships available. There's enough talent beyond that pool of players to get us where we want to be, we just need to find them.

majerus mojo likes this

16 minutes ago, willie said:

Why does everyone assume it would have cost $200,000 to keep Yuri with the Billikens? Supposedly that was the cost to get him to leave Saint Louis.  If you go by listening to Ross Chaifetz on the spaces broadcast today, one of those people had no clue. The cost to actually keep him here will never be known if that is the true case, but I am going to guess it would have been much less. I am sure enough money to pay rent for his family in a safer neighborhood would have gone a long way.

The thing is SLU can’t play the NIL game, even with their current players, if they never get off the bench.

20 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I guess this is why I’m upset.  Relying on rich alumni to buy the program’s success.  Recruitment and development and getting to know the players over the 4 years journey is what made this game different and cool.  Now it seems all of that is ruined 

It has always been about relying on rich alumni to buy the program’s success.  It is just shifting some from that money going completely to coaches and facilities, to part of it flowing to players now.

11 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I don't necessarily think NIL's are the end of life as we know it. It does change the landscape, though. Moneyball has come to college basketball...and we are the Athletics.

We need to focus on building out our talent evaluation infrastructure. In addition to high school and JuCo players, there are so many players on the transfer market nowadays that it's gotta be impossible for our staff to effectively analyze them all. It's a firehose of information and there needs to be a method to the madness. It's a numbers game.

There are 75 P6 schools with roughly 975 scholarships available. There's enough talent beyond that pool of players to get us where we want to be, we just need to find them.

Is Travis Ford Billy Beane, though? I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I’m just not sure that Ford’s strengths fit with what we need in the current environment. 

21 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

Is Travis Ford Billy Beane, though? I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I’m just not sure that Ford’s strengths fit with what we need in the current environment. 

Never said he was...and I agree with you completely.