Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU should take this opportunity to reach out to the WU Med School faculty, and maybe the WU undergrad. Offer some sections for their grads and students and see if those groups are willing to give a full booster commitment in response. Doctors and WU kids always complain that they do not have a D1 school to root for, and they have a lot of money to burn.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

SLU should take this opportunity to reach out to the WU Med School faculty, and maybe the WU undergrad. Offer some sections for their grads and students and see if those groups are willing to give a full booster commitment in response. Doctors and WU kids always complain that they do not have a D1 school to root for, and they have a lot of money to burn.

There is some gray area with this. If done correctly slu maybe could, but it would tip-toe the line. 

I don't think it has been posted here yet - Kobe Clark is transferring out of Georgetown after two seasons. He averaged 4.9 minutes in 11 appearances this season, scoring 6 total points. I don't think SLU is going to get involved for another wing who wouldn't crack the rotation, but he's a local kid so I figured it's worth pointing out.

I also looked through the list of players our coaches have followed on Twitter since the portal opened and it seems like Payton Sparks (staying at Ball State) and Terry Anderson (Lamar) are the only two off the board so far, with dozens still in play.

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-ABInBev still supports SLU athletics, they are a sponsor of the golf tournament, who thinks the band plays the Budweiser song just because it is catchy? 

i do.  and i play occasionally with the band. think about it.  they dont even sing, "when you say budweiser, you've said it all"   the sing instead, "when you say saint louis, you've said it all."

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-ABInBev still supports SLU athletics, they are a sponsor of the golf tournament, who thinks the band plays the Budweiser song just because it is catchy? 

They don’t sponsor the golf tournament. That is Stifel. 

Yes, Bud Light is still a Billikens sponsor. But important you know a couple things about college marketing by beer companies:

- many years ago, the beer companies came to an agreement to greatly limit their college marketing given that roughly half of college students are underage. This is too complicated a subject for an internet post — what is and isn’t allowable — but if you want to read more: https://www.anheuser-busch.com/content/dam/universaltemplate/ab/better-world/alcohol-responsibility/responsible-marketing/College-marketing-code1.pdf

- to the above point, a beer company would never hand NIL money to a high school senior - or 19 or 20 year old to shill beer

- if you think they might for 21-24 year olds, it is possible. There is one case of it    for a small brewer in FL I’m aware of in the NIL era. And to date, the NCAA hasn’t waded into that water to hold players to rules. But I think the PR risks with MADD etc will be too much for an AB-InBev at SLU or major universities.

- could some team beer sponsorship $$ be transferred quietly to NIL money. Again, doubt it at SLU

Old guy and CBFan like this

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

Good to know and I thought they played the theme because it’s a fun catchy song especially when there are 4 tuba players on each corner of the floor.

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Arkansas setting up second team?

Crazy, isn’t it.

There should be plenty of Arkansas players available soon.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/32884345/college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2022-23-season

The link is for ESPN's (somewhat arbitrary) list of the top 100 Transfers.  Some names that have been mentioned on this board or A10 affiliated are below.    No Billikens made the top 100 list.

11. Curbelo

14. Ramey

40 Jones (Davidson)

61 Bamisile (GW)

63 Williams

79 Pickett

81. Kepnang (Oregon)

87 Moore (LaSalle)

98 Ward (VCU)

Mitchell twins were "Next in Line"

One minute read on the damage causes by the NCAA's new lenient transfer rule.  WELL WORTH READING.  

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo says NCAA transfer portal is 'hard on the game'

• by Will Backus
  • Apr 8, 12:45 PM

Since the NCAA transfer portal's inception in October 2018, it has been a divisive topic in the world of college sports. The whole situation was exacerbated when the NCAA mandated that athletes could receive a waiver to play immediately upon their first transfer. Conferences quickly followed suit in respect to intra-conference transfers.

Longtime Michigan State head men's basketball coach Tom Izzo is among the portal’s detractors. Joining ESPN’s 102.5 The Game — a Nashville, Tennessee, radio station — Izzo outlined his concerns over the modern college basketball landscape, with a particular focus on the transfer portal.

“I don’t think it’s great for the game and I think there’s drawbacks,” Izzo said. “I think it’s bad for the kids. … I think kids are making a lot of bad decisions because we’re teaching them that the minute something goes tough, to get the hell out of dodge. I saw Clark Kellogg on the TV the other day said something great. He said, ‘To grow, it takes rain and sunshine.’ If you translate that, it means, if you just have all sunshine, the plant doesn’t grow. If you just have all rain, it doesn’t grow. You’ve got to fight through some adversity. You’ve got to have some tough times. You’ve got to have some rainy days. Those are illegal now. If there’s a rainy day, I’m getting the hell out of dodge. Then we’ve got kids transferring and they don’t even know where they’re transferring to. The problem is when they do transfer — though somebody transfers to Michigan State and then all of a sudden I get two more transfers.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

One minute read on the damage causes by the NCAA's new lenient transfer rule.  WELL WORTH READING.  

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo says NCAA transfer portal is 'hard on the game'

• by Will Backus
  • Apr 8, 12:45 PM

Since the NCAA transfer portal's inception in October 2018, it has been a divisive topic in the world of college sports. The whole situation was exacerbated when the NCAA mandated that athletes could receive a waiver to play immediately upon their first transfer. Conferences quickly followed suit in respect to intra-conference transfers.

Longtime Michigan State head men's basketball coach Tom Izzo is among the portal’s detractors. Joining ESPN’s 102.5 The Game — a Nashville, Tennessee, radio station — Izzo outlined his concerns over the modern college basketball landscape, with a particular focus on the transfer portal.

“I don’t think it’s great for the game and I think there’s drawbacks,” Izzo said. “I think it’s bad for the kids. … I think kids are making a lot of bad decisions because we’re teaching them that the minute something goes tough, to get the hell out of dodge. I saw Clark Kellogg on the TV the other day said something great. He said, ‘To grow, it takes rain and sunshine.’ If you translate that, it means, if you just have all sunshine, the plant doesn’t grow. If you just have all rain, it doesn’t grow. You’ve got to fight through some adversity. You’ve got to have some tough times. You’ve got to have some rainy days. Those are illegal now. If there’s a rainy day, I’m getting the hell out of dodge. Then we’ve got kids transferring and they don’t even know where they’re transferring to. The problem is when they do transfer — though somebody transfers to Michigan State and then all of a sudden I get two more transfers.

Let’s tech them by making it difficult to transfer? Even though that is not the case for any other student at the University? We are doing it for them, because the basketball coach doesn’t like transfers? Because those same coaches are so interested in helping players “learn.”

Players transfer because they are all fighting for a job (NBA) which accepts only about 1% of the players. Getting there requires playing time, and especially early in their career. If Izzy doesn’t like transfers, maybe Michigan State should start paying the players a salary that will mean something after their playing career ends, and start paying Izzy in a yearly scholarship.

40 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Let’s tech them by making it difficult to transfer? Even though that is not the case for any other student at the University? We are doing it for them, because the basketball coach doesn’t like transfers? Because those same coaches are so interested in helping players “learn.”

Players transfer because they are all fighting for a job (NBA) which accepts only about 1% of the players. Getting there requires playing time, and especially early in their career. If Izzy doesn’t like transfers, maybe Michigan State should start paying the players a salary that will mean something after their playing career ends, and start paying Izzy in a yearly scholarship.

I agree with Izzo.  Fewer than 1% of college basketball players actually turn pro.  What harm is this rule doing to college players and their ability to get a college degree?  My guess the harm will turn out to be significant.  I much rather have a one year sit out rule which, yes, restricts movement somewhat, but helps more young athletes to actually get their degree.  IMO.

CenHudDude likes this