Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Kansas started 6’10” and 6’8” last night. Worked pretty well for them. 

Jalen Wilson is a perimeter player.

I knew the old days of 2-big lineups were dead when Bill Self pronounced them dead on Jeff Goodman's podcast a couple years ago. Bill Self is famous for the traditional PF/C high-low offense. He said that it took years for his assistants to convince him but he's finally acknowledging that you can't play 2 bigs at the same time unless one of them is a great 3-point shooter.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Jalen Wilson is 6-8 but isn't a big. If you don't know that then I can't help you

5 minutes ago, NH said:

Jalen Wilson is a perimeter player.

I knew the old days of 2-big lineups were dead when Bill Self pronounced them dead on Jeff Goodman's podcast a couple years ago. Bill Self is famous for the traditional PF/C high-low offense. He said that it took years for his assistants to convince him but he's finally acknowledging that you can't play 2 bigs at the same time unless one of them is a great 3-point shooter.

Call him a small then.  6'8", can handle the lane, guards the other teams 6'9" forward, rebounds at 7.4 per game.   Call him what you want.  It worked last night.

No one play puts two stationary players in the lane.  Self showed how to put to bigs, er smalls, on the floor.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Call him a small then.  6'8", can handle the lane, guards the other teams 6'9" forward, rebounds at 7.4 per game.   Call him what you want.  It worked last night.

No one play puts two stationary players in the lane.  Self showed how to put to bigs, er smalls, on the floor.

Did it work last night? I dont think THAT was what determined the game.  

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don’t care what you would prefer me to call him because I have no interest in an argument over semantics. The debate about playing 2 big men together was decided several years ago when college coaches themselves (including Self) admitted it was over. Whether or not MBMs want to agree with what those coaches decided is totally up to them.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Per the PD, 30 of 78 from 3, or 38%. 

111 blocks, but keep in mind some of FTZN competition was rural teams.  He blocked 14 against a St. Charles.

ya some things to take with a grain of salt due to comp

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

north carolina played 7 and kansas played 8, those coaches dont know how to manage their benches either

Yes. Most teams don't have over 8 players average more than 10 mpg. However, that doesn't fit the Coach Ford doesn't know how to properly use his elite level athletes agenda

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yes. Most teams don't have over 8 players average more than 10 mpg. However, that doesn't fit the Coach Ford doesn't know how to properly use his elite level athletes agenda

True. Trouble was, Ford had Mike Anderson-style players-and Hargrove as well-on his bench who were athletes, who would be much better pressing and running. My point is: it doesn’t make sense to recruit players who can’t max their ability in your system. McKillup does a great job of finding players who are taylor-made to his system.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

And is a threat from the perimeter.  And averages over 2 assists a game.  Why do you keep omitting the need for one of your bigs to be a good passer and a good perimeter shooter?  Do you know something that the best coaches in the game don't?

1 hour ago, Marlow said:

True. Trouble was, Ford had Mike Anderson-style players-and Hargrove as well-on his bench who were athletes, who would be much better pressing and running. My point is: it doesn’t make sense to recruit players who can’t max their ability in your system. McKillup does a great job of finding players who are taylor-made to his system.

So who were these Mike Anderson style players? 

11 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

So who were these Mike Anderson style players? 

Some how the billikens won 23 games with these mike anderson type players on the bench, if only strickland would gotten more minutes i am sure it would the billikens instead of north carolina. name the teams that press all the time and are winners t his year? anderson's team looked good against mediocre teams and got owned by teams that could handle the pressure

slufanskip likes this

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Some how the billikens won 23 games with these mike anderson type players on the bench, if only strickland would gotten more minutes i am sure it would the billikens instead of north carolina. name the teams that press all the time and are winners t his year? anderson's team looked good against mediocre teams and got owned by teams that could handle the pressure

A number of successful coaches employ that stylle: Pitino, Leonard Hamilton, and Bill Self doesn’t press, but athletic players are lightening quick on offense.

12 minutes ago, Marlow said:

Williams, Jones, Strickland, Traore, Hargrove.  I’d even put Fred in that group. These guys are are athletes who I feel would be more effective in a wide open game.

We clearly disagree about the level of athleticism in that group. 

Having athleticism is one thing, but running for the sake of running doesn’t equal more wins. It can be true that SLU had some athletic players buried on the bench, while also being true they weren’t ready to play more minutes for one reason or another. Would it be great to play a VCU type press? Sure! But having athletes alone isn’t enough to do that. SLU has been a half court team under Travis, and the guys who can execute in that space the best earn more time. It’s pretty cut and dry. 

slufanskip and cgeldmacher like this

27 minutes ago, Marlow said:

A number of successful coaches employ that stylle: Pitino, Leonard Hamilton, and Bill Self doesn’t press, but athletic players are lightening quick on offense.

They're lightning quick on offense because they can handle the ball.  High flying dunkers with poor defensive fundamentals and poor ballhandling skills are projects on both sides of the ball.  I don't fault Coach Ford for trying to turn high flyers into basketball players but I'm glad the 2022 class is more fundamentally sound.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

They're lightening quick on offense because they can handle the ball.  High flying dunkers with poor defensive fundamentals and poor ballhandling skills are projects on both sides of the ball.  I don't fault Coach Ford for trying to turn high flyers into basketball players but I'm glad the 2022 class is more fundamentally sound.

exactly no sense chasing the nesbitt's of the world if you think you can turn him into kevin lisch or gibson jimerson.   go find kevin lisch and gibson jimerson instead.   i think kramer and thames are much closer to the players style and skills that ford really wants.   

cgeldmacher likes this