Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

As much as I would love Turnbull to get released from his NLI Butler plays in a great conference that once again had a strong showing in the big dance.

Butler has a strong recent history with coach Stevens taking the team to the NCAA tournament finals so in spite of not having as much money as other Big East programs the Butler basketball program has achieved more in the NCAA tournament than most D1 programs.

If I was a player I would wait and see if a great coach comes in and then see who that coach can bring in from the transfer portal.

14 minutes ago, CBFan said:

As much as I would love Turnbull to get released from his NLI Butler plays in a great conference that once again had a strong showing in the big dance.

Butler has a strong recent history with coach Stevens taking the team to the NCAA tournament finals so in spite of not having as much money as other Big East programs the Butler basketball program has achieved more in the NCAA tournament than most D1 programs.

If I was a player I would wait and see if a great coach comes in and then see who that coach can bring in from the transfer portal.

Players are tied to coaches now, not schools - unless from around the area.  

28 minutes ago, CBFan said:

There is no reason to believe that Butler has anything that attracts kids to a program that doesn't value them by not spending on the program.  These coaches you named were all assistants unless I am wrong - if they had an assistant on staff ready to take over they would have announced it.  If Few had not stayed for as long as he has with Zags not telling how things would have worked out.  Now I agree they can attract a quality coach but after Few took over earlier on things could have gone sideways but I think someone posted that they spend on their program which is probably one of the reasons Few stayed.

Jackson played 20 games in two COVID seasons at Michigan.  He is listed as a point guard and has a four-star recruit coming in behind him next year.  He must have left the team after four games this year because he's not even listed on Michigan's roster right now and last played in a game in mid-December.  Could be an injury; don't know.  Eli Brooks was the starter and averaged 36 mpg; he is done after five years at Michigan.  

As for VCU, Ace Baldewin remains the starting poitn guard.  That won't change.  VCU did lose KeShawn Curry and Marcus Tsohonis so time is available at the two guard spot although Jayden Nunn returns and Josh Banks remains on the roster.  We shall see.  Other highly rated recruits have not done so well coming into the A10 through the portal.  Josh Nickleberry at La Salle, Jalen Carey at Rhode Island, Dahmir Bishop and Greg Foster at Saitn Joe's come to mind.  Of course, there are also Noah Fernandes at Umass, Foster Loyer at Davidson, and James Bishop at Geedubya so we'll call it 50/50.

6 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Jackson played 20 games in two COVID seasons at Michigan.  He is listed as a point guard and has a four-star recruit coming in behind him next year.  He must have left the team after four games this year because he's not even listed on Michigan's roster right now and last played in a game in mid-December.  Could be an injury; don't know.  Eli Brooks was the starter and averaged 36 mpg; he is done after five years at Michigan.  

As for VCU, Ace Baldewin remains the starting poitn guard.  That won't change.  VCU did lose KeShawn Curry and Marcus Tsohonis so time is available at the two guard spot although Jayden Nunn returns and Josh Banks remains on the roster.  We shall see.  Other highly rated recruits have not done so well coming into the A10 through the portal.  Josh Nickleberry at La Salle, Jalen Carey at Rhode Island, Dahmir Bishop and Greg Foster at Saitn Joe's come to mind.  Of course, there are also Noah Fernandes at Umass, Foster Loyer at Davidson, and James Bishop at Geedubya so we'll call it 50/50.

2nd half of the season they went with a 3 guard rotation with Williams at the 4.  I hear Williams is undecided on returning next year.  

On 4/1/2022 at 5:04 PM, dennis_w said:

frank cusamano says he would not be welcome back, iirc he has until june 1 to withdraw from nba draft and come back to college. he is not in the portal as for as i know

Can you show me where Frank says that he is not welcome back? Cusumano's tweet mentions that he thinks his time is done at SLU. I didn't see anything about him not being welcomed back.

21 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

press box with earl austin

Frank made the statement about Nesbitt not being welcomed back but Earl did not cosign it.  The most he was willing to say is that we have a lot of incoming players on the wing.  Frank may be right but I'm going to need Earl or Rammer to confirm it.  

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Frank made the statement about Nesbitt not being welcomed back but Earl did not cosign it.  The most he was willing to say is that we have a lot of incoming players on the wing.  Frank may be right but I'm going to need Earl or Rammer to confirm it.  

the confirmation will be when he comes back or not, might be when travis fills the roster with transfers either way nobody from slu is likely to confirm that he is not welcome

Old guy likes this

5 hours ago, dennis_w said:

the confirmation will be when he comes back or not, might be when travis fills the roster with transfers either way nobody from slu is likely to confirm that he is not welcome

I am not clear if Nesbitt continued going to classes and doing his academic work after he announced he was entering the draft. If he stopped attending classes there is no way he will be able to come back in, he will not be a student in good standing at SLU.

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am not clear if Nesbitt continued going to classes and doing his academic work after he announced he was entering the draft. If he stopped attending classes there is no way he will be able to come back in, he will not be a student in good standing at SLU.

Not necessarily true.  If he got a full semester at Memphis, and a full fall semester at SLU, would think he qualifies for next year even if he dropped spring classes.  As a sophomore eligibility-wise, seems he would qualify academically too.  And he may have taken Summer classes last year and could this Summer as well.

35 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Not necessarily true.  If he got a full semester at Memphis, and a full fall semester at SLU, would think he qualifies for next year even if he dropped spring classes.  As a sophomore eligibility-wise, seems he would qualify academically too.  And he may have taken Summer classes last year and could this Summer as well.

I am glad he may be able to come back even if he dropped out of spring classes. I'd really would like for him to come back.

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

I am glad he may be able to come back even if he dropped out of spring classes. I'd really would like for him to come back.

I am hoping Kellen Thames can come in and contribute more than Nesbitt did this season.  If I am wrong about this I am interested in what the knowledgeable posters think about Thames abilities playing his freshman year.

23 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I am hoping Kellen Thames can come in and contribute more than Nesbitt did this season.  If I am wrong about this I am interested in what the knowledgeable posters think about Thames abilities playing his freshman year.

If you count our returning players + Perkins + Parker + Kramer + combo guard to be named later + forward to be named later, there are at least 10 players ahead of Thames.  

I done know squat about Thames. Obviously he hasn’t got all the hype that JNez was getting. But some will likely bring up the star ratings. JNez was a 4 and Thames a 2(?). But these ratings don’t really tell the whole story. Look at St Peters. Supposedly with no ranked players they get to the elite 8. We have to trust that our staff gave him a scholy because they believe he is a D1  player.