Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

I like Bell, maybe would love to see him back, but he really is not the highest priority for the team. If we did not replace Linssen, I think we would be fine. We really need to replace D. Jones. I would almost rather we bring in two backup PG’s, but if we did, we would probably lose both centers to injury. We really need an heir apparent for Yuri. The two young guys from Mizzou would really fit our needs. A PG and a PF(who could spot center at times).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Traore’s rebounding and defense was good coach Ford confirmed that in an interview.

I agree Bell would be a decent fill in for Okoro but it will depend on what Bell wants to do.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Butler coach, will he be fired?  If the Butler coach is fired will Turnbull want a release?  If he wants a release then that is the player I would like to see recruited hard by SLU.

Taking your Turnbull comment OT, here is an interesting article about Butler's decision to go to the Big East.  They pretty much had to accept the invite, but they are finding the road rocky, primarily due to $$.  Yes, the Big East has brought in a lot of money through attendance, NCAA Tourney $, increased donations, etc. but Butler is suffering from being last in the Big East in basketball budget.  Butler's budget of $5.85 million is 11th in the BE and would be 5th in the Atlantic 10.  They are closer in $$ to Fordham than they are to Xavier.  The Big East’s two biggest budgets belong to Marquette ($14.04 million) and Georgetown ($13.81M).

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2022/01/25/butler-basketball-wouldnt-solve-problems-firing-coach-lavall-jordan/6587900001/

28 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Traore’s rebounding and defense was good coach Ford confirmed that in an interview.

I agree Bell would be a decent fill in for Okoro but it will depend on what Bell wants to do.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Butler coach, will he be fired?  If the Butler coach is fired will Turnbull want a release?  If he wants a release then that is the player I would like to see recruited hard by SLU.

would bell want to be a billiken knowing he likely will get limited minutes behind franco or doesnt he want starter minutes??

19 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

would bell want to be a billiken knowing he likely will get limited minutes behind franco or doesnt he want starter minutes??

He's familiar with the offence and defense, so that may help collect a few extra minutes early. He'll likely, as of now, be the starter the following year. And is friends with the team already.  I think those factor in.  - Not that it matters to me, I'm not sure I want JBJ

43 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think Traore has the athleticism, plus defense and rebounding to be a solid 2nd big. Defense is what this roster is currently lacking, so Traore is a good fit. We have enough scorers.

For the 3rd big, rather than a Jimmy Bell type low-post player, I'd rather see a stretch big who could provide some minutes at the 5, but could also get some minutes at the 4 alongside Okoro.

billiken_roy and bauman like this

28 minutes ago, CBFan said:

25 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I think Bell would have a battle to beat out Traore who is more athletic and better fitted for the style of offense that Ford is running.  Traore was quite impressive at times and with a big Summer could be a factor IMO.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

which is?

I still get confused why so many people are asking this question. What answer are people looking for? What are some of the types of offenses that people would expect us to run? Do people actually think that we do not have an offense, or are they just unhappy with the offense we do have?

Travis Ford's offense has always been a pro-style approach, in which we run a high number of set plays (look at Michigan or Purdue for another example of this type of approach). This means that on most offensive possessions Travis is calling a set play. We do also sometimes run a "flow", but the frequency has diminished over the years. Our sets tend to be very ball screen heavy, which has become increasingly common as more NCAA teams have taken schemes from the NBA. In the last two years, Travis has adjusted that offense to be more "4-out" and we less frequently play high-low or have someone in the dunker spot. 

Examples of offenses we don't really run include: the Princeton offense, triangle offense, dribble-drive offense, read-and-react offense, blocker-mover, traditional "Bobby Knight motion".

DOC, rgbilliken, Pistol and 4 others like this

27 minutes ago, NH said:

I still get confused why so many people are asking this question. What answer are people looking for? What are some of the types of offenses that people would expect us to run? Do people actually think that we do not have an offense, or are they just unhappy with the offense we do have?

its sorta a joke.. during GDT's everyone is screaming that we don't do anything, and its just Yuri running around.  And we always hear how we want to get out and run the the floor on offense and in transition, something we rarely do.  Just because you have a set offensive scheme, it doesn't mean its always used and or used currently, that's maybe the argument that could be made from this past season. 

30 minutes ago, NH said:

Travis Ford's offense has always been a pro-style approach, in which we run a high number of set plays (look at Michigan or Purdue for another example of this type of approach). This means that on most offensive possessions Travis is calling a set play. We do also sometimes run a "flow", but the frequency has diminished over the years. Our sets tend to be very ball screen heavy, which has become increasingly common as more NCAA teams have taken schemes from the NBA. In the last two years, Travis has adjusted that offense to be more "4-out" and we less frequently play high-low or have someone in the dunker spot. 

Examples of offenses we don't really run include: the Princeton offense, triangle offense, dribble-drive offense, read-and-react offense, blocker-mover, traditional "Bobby Knight motion".

Thank you. This isn’t rocket science, guys.

hmart23 likes this

The portal is now at 800 and counting. Plenty of opportunities to pick up players who will be able to help.

I'm not really a fan of this guy's game, (but IF Javonte doesn't come back) could Pickett be an option. Not nearly the caliber of player of Javonte, but there would be a role for an experienced player like that and he could be better playing with a good PG - that's one big selling point we have to recruits.

4 hours ago, Slowry said:

Very true.  But what’s frustrating is watching our guys use screens.  Especially Yuri.  He leaves enough room for the defender to stay on him a lot.  It doesn’t seem like our guys brush their defenders off very well.  

I agree.  Our use of screens was high schoolish. We were as bad using screens as we were defending screens.

34 minutes ago, ACE said:

The portal is now at 800 and counting. Plenty of opportunities to pick up players who will be able to help.

I'm not really a fan of this guy's game, (but IF Javonte doesn't come back) could Pickett be an option. Not nearly the caliber of player of Javonte, but there would be a role for an experienced player like that and he could be better playing with a good PG - that's one big selling point we have to recruits.

I'm sure Tate will reach out to him.  

willie likes this