Transfer Watch - 2022

ACE

19 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Hypothetical: If Kobe Brown hit the transfer portal, would we want him? 6’8”, hits the 3, and defends and plays inside well. Really inconsistent, but great when he is on.

Yes, definitely.  Brazille is the guy I'd really want, however.

nimble likes this

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Hypothetical: If Kobe Brown hit the transfer portal, would we want him? 6’8”, hits the 3, and defends and plays inside well. Really inconsistent, but great when he is on.

absolutely, he wouldnt have to play out of position like he did at mizzou, he can handle the ball, rebound and can score in the paint. would fill that 4 spot and some minutes at the five

That's English's entire roster of PGs sansd Ronald Polite (who didn't do that well late in the season anyway).  Only point on the roster is 5'10" LOI commit Devoin Dinkins, rated a three-star prospect.  Hard way to win.  Dinkins is a DC kid.  

On 3/9/2022 at 6:29 AM, CBFan said:

Kalkbrenner if we are dreaming 

Cade McKnight from Truman would be the most similar to Kalkbrenner in the D2 portal right now. He's a big bodied stretch 5 that was the conference player of the year in 2021 and put up better stats this season, 19ppg/6rpg. He's a grad transfer with a lot of experience that could help cover the hole left by ML. 

CBFan likes this

On 3/14/2022 at 4:56 PM, 3star_recruit said:

We've got an attractive situation to sell to a young backup big.  Back up Franco for a year and you'll likely start the next year.

I think the opportunity is better than that. The closest we have to a player who can defend a 4, is Perkins. Who isn't a great defender and is non-committal. We had 6'3" Thatch defending 4s, because our wings struggled. Depending on matchups, a good big would pick up minutes even when Okoro is on the floor. 

1 minute ago, Aquinas said:

I think the opportunity is better than that. The closest we have to a player who can defend a 4, is Perkins. Who isn't a great defender and is non-committal. We had 6'3" Thatch defending 4s, because our wings struggled. Depending on matchups, a good big would pick up minutes even when Okoro is on the floor. 

This is our teams biggest weakness. While we can get away with our small 4's in the A-10 you aren't going to beat the Duke's of the world with 6-3 power forwards. A TJ can't rebound against taller, stronger opponents.  While they don't grow on trees I would sure be trying to work the portal for that guy. 

12 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

I agree with that.  However, It's really hard to find a big who can score and defend the 4.   Big guys who play big tend to live in the paint.  There's a surplus of 6'6/6'7 wings masquerading as 4 men these days.

22 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We did and it resulted in both bigs being in foul trouble.

There is a very clear tradeoff to playing two bigs: you get worse on offense but better on defense. It is no coincidence that Travis' two best offensive teams at SLU were the two teams that only played one big.

I agree that it would be great if we could find a forward who can defend inside and stretch the floor. But when I look around the NCAA I don't see many examples of those types of guys, especially at schools outside the Power 5.

10 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

The flood gates are about to open. Half the teams in the tournament won’t be there in the next 48 hours. In 72 hours, the portal will be chaos (including, unfortunately, probably a few of our guys given Ford’s comments postgame). 

That is the way it is likely  to be, and that is the way it is likely to continue being.

3 hours ago, A10Ref said:

The flood gates are about to open. Half the teams in the tournament won’t be there in the next 48 hours. In 72 hours, the portal will be chaos (including, unfortunately, probably a few of our guys given Ford’s comments postgame). 

What were his comments post-game?

36 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Sounds like blamed everybody but himself. Pretty SOP for bosses

He does this often enough to where I can't stand him. Some of the blame has to be on you some of the time, d*mn it!