The Bills over GM by 1

The Wiz

What a great game and as the spread indicated ...it was a nail biter. This was a tough one to handicap. I ran the spread a few times and it kept coming up the same... Bills win by 1.   Some of the raw numbers will be hard to compare to the original forecast because we played  25% more basketball.  And not everything went right either....But regardless of how long we played there were certain key factors that allowed us to win.  Some of the weak spots where we underperformed were...2P shooting  and rebounding. But more things went right than wrong and in the end the better team won. A slugfest with The Bills, the last man standing

Let's see how we won....bolded statements are from my original post in this thread.

The next 2 statements are the keys to the game....

they have a starting 5 which is pretty good .... Statement one is a very true statement...how true?...88 of the their 90 pts were scored by the starting 5...The lowest minutes of the starting 5 was 42...Gaines played all 50....Now statement 2.......

but not much of a bench...another very true statement...The Bills bench outscored their bench...16-2...Big difference....16 minus 2 = Depth

11 TOs... This was another key... We finished with 12...a great number in a regular game ...an outstanding number in a 2OT game and again a difference maker....Pts off TOs...the Bills won this battle 21-11 as GM wound up with 17 TOs.  This was our 5th consecutive game of 12 TOs or less. ...These types of numbers will win us games or keep us in games where something else goes wrong....As the old adage goes...if you are having trouble scoring play defense.

FTs....we exceeded the target 77%..we wound up beating them at the charity stripe...87% to 68% This didn't specifically win the game for us (though every shot did matter)...this was more about keeping us in the game. As you all know, there was a foul discrepancy. (are we talking about about a bad smell or a BB infraction) We had 30 PF to their 19,  which in turn led to an extra 6 FTA. Yet because of our superior shooting we tied them at 19 FTM. So while this may not have been the main reason we won, it definitely made up for some shortcomings.

Bottomline ...Remember those games we lost ... that slipped away at the end... At the time , I said they would be learning experiences that would help us grow and win games later in the season. We are here, now....We have learned and grown and most importantly won.

Go Bills

I thought the refs were actively trying to throw the game to GM, particularly during the OT. Yes, we won and that was a wonderful achievement, we beat both the GM team and the refs. I was listening to the game and Earl was wailing at the refs calls, and lack of calls. Yet, despite all the refs did, and the fact that GM played a strong game on their own (out rebounded us by a good margin), we managed to stick through the game and two OTs and win the game. Traore played better than I expected when Linssen and Okoro fouled out, and Collins had a great night.

If we did something tonight was to  show that the team could win despite all obstacles thrown their way. This was a very good win for us.