The Bills over GM by 1

The Wiz

Chance 2 Dance

Big games this week...besides ours, VCU plays Day and Dav plays St. B....Assuming we win, if St. B and VCU win, there may only 2 left on the C2D list...The Bills and VCU. If it goes another way, then things could become more jumbled...a lot of close games coming up.  If you need more info on C2D then check out the thread by the same name.

The Bills......59%...up 9%

VCU..............57%...up 3%

Dav...............42%.....down 1%

Day...............40%....down 4%

Takeaways...We are the best team in the A-10...As of now it looks like 2 bids for the A-10.

As for this game, GM comes in as a B team...we are at A-. The days of marshmallow picking are over. It is time to get to work....Feb means it is time to show your stuff.  As you can see by the spread, this is setting up as a nail biter.  BUT it doesn't have to be. GM has some weak spots, If we can take advantage, we could cruise. 

Let's see what we are dealing with....

...................SLU.....................GM..........................SLU.........................GM

.................................OFF..........................................................DEF.............

PPG...............A........................C..............................B-...........................B

FG%...............B.......................B+.............................B+...........................B-

3P%..............B+......................B+.............................B..............................C-

FT%...............A........................D.................................................................

Reb...............A.........................D+..............................A-..........................A

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP....Off...none.....Def.....PPG...FG%

Down....Off...none.....Def...none

Team FTs... Top 10 Teams ITN

FTM/gm....The Bills...9th...dn

Top 100 ITN (In The Nation)/ gm

SLU

Assts...Collins... 1st... unch...can't go higher than 1st

Stls......Collins....28th....up

FT%...Jimerson...73rd...unch

PPG...Jimerson...66th...dn

Dou-Dou....Collins...42nd...up

FG%....Okoro....78th...new

Off Reb...Okoro...60th...up

FTA/FGA....Linssen...62nd...up

Asst/TO ratio...Jones...69th...up

GM

FG%...Oduro...65th

Reb...Gaines...73rd

Assts...Johnson...67th

Blks...Oduro...68th

3P%...Gaines...56th

Dou-Dou...Gaines...68th

Injury/ Illness

None

Keys to the game...SCORE...Mason likes to play a slow , low scoring game...the last game it played at UMass is a good example...beating them 72-62...they like to score around 70 and let the opp score around 60. Pick up the tempo and make shots. A good defense with a weak spot...they don't defend the 3 very well...we will get some looks. They also aren't a great rebounding team. We need to take advantage of that. A good shooting team but they can;t make FTs except Schwartz...Finally, they have a starting 5 which is pretty good but not much of a bench.  We need to open up the game when ever they bring in subs.

WWN2D2W.... 46/36/77... Rebs ..diff of 7+.....11 TOs  GM doesn't turn the ball over unless you bother them.  Pressure them...that will also tire them and force them to use their bench.  Hold GM's top 4 scorers to 42pts.  Don't let Oduro block you. ...no more than 1 blk for him. Gaines & Cooper are their 3 pt guys ...hold them to 7 shots.  Open the lead up with 10 min left in the 2nd half as they tire. Score 80...The closer we get to 80 the better our chances to win.

Bottom line...We are the better team...the home field advantage makes this a tight game. But this game is ours to take if we want it...Play like we did the last 3 games...Energy and focus ...and we win....Chasin' Mason...Stop them by George.

1 minute ago, Schasz said:

George Mason HC is Kim English who was a former and good Mizzou player. Before taking the GM job he was an Assistant with UT Vols. I think he will turn out to be a good college HC.

He will for sure. 

UT and Colorado( but esp UT) did everything they could to keep him. 

Schasz likes this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

He will for sure. 

UT and Colorado( but esp UT) did everything they could to keep him. 

I think he'd be a decent replacement for Rick Barnes but Mizzou may beat them to it as Cuonzo appears to be on a very short leash!

4 minutes ago, Schasz said:

I think he'd be a decent replacement for Rick Barnes but Mizzou may beat them to it as Cuonzo appears to be on a very short leash!

Given Mizzous track record for coaches the past decade, I dont think they can afford a gamble/risky hire like Kim.  Im sure they wish Kim had a few years under his belt to get a good idea. 

This is a true swing game.  Win here and the rudder has been set to the A10 tournament.  Lose and we're back to having to win it all in DC (which is where I am still leaning).

Mason is a five-man team.  Very much like Davidson, Bonaventure, Duquesne, etc.  They follow the A10 trend of four or five guys and pray.  They have a two-man bench on Polite and Hartwell but short of a few minutes rest for the starters, they add little.  Getting Oduro in foul trouble would be key.  

No doubt we are the better team.  Schwartz and Cooper are their shooters; Gaines is at nearly 50% in threes but has onyl taken half as many as each of the two aforementioned gunners.  Oduro is not physical, but crafty.  Reminds me a lot of Golden down at Richmond and Brajkovic at Davidson.

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

George Mason HC is Kim English who was a former and good Mizzou player. Before taking the GM job he was an Assistant with UT Vols. I think he will turn out to be a good college HC.

He sh it on us when he was at Mizzou then lost to a 15 seed. I want to beat him. Badly.

11 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-winning @ Mason would go a long way for us, let's get it done

-let's not worry just yet about the forecast and when the team will return for Saturday's game

Assuming the forecast you are talking about is the weather forecast, in the time I have lived in St. Louis I have worried about all kinds of storms and snow forecasts that have missed us by going North or South of us. I have no idea why this happens, but it does happen. I have little doubt that we will get some rain tomorrow, and that whatever wetness remains on the ground after sunset may freeze overnight. However, as far as the rest of the weather forecast goes, I will believe it when I see it.

Team Rankings posted its predictions today, the Vegas line if 1 pt in favor of GM, 1 star of confidence. The pregame stats for both teams are pretty close with a slight advantage in both defense and offense for SLU. What this means is that either team can win this game from their point of view.