Best Billikens Point Guard

thetorch

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious conversation here - Is the new benchmark for Yuri's career to become the NCAA all-time assists leader?

We've discussed that the average he'll have to maintain to get there is well within the realm of possibility, and others have said that he has already verbally committed to staying for his 5th year (which I was unaware of), so am I ridiculous to set the bar that high? Because at this point he's so good and the Billikens have so much promise that it really doesn't feel that high. But maybe I'm high

28 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Serious conversation here - Is the new benchmark for Yuri's career to become the NCAA all-time assists leader?

We've discussed that the average he'll have to maintain to get there is well within the realm of possibility, and others have said that he has already verbally committed to staying for his 5th year (which I was unaware of), so am I ridiculous to set the bar that high? Because at this point he's so good and the Billikens have so much promise that it really doesn't feel that high. But maybe I'm high

For me, it would be the 1000 assist mark. It's possible he breaks the record, but I also think if Perkins comes back healthy they may hurt Yuri's assists a small amount. Right now, every scorer we have is somewhat dependent on Yuri. Perkins is not. 

Health is the biggest factor. Yuri's not even halfway to 1,000. He's been on an amazing clip these past few weeks but he's also 1 freak landing/collision away from missing extended time. Even a concussion would seriously damage his prospects of getting to 1,000.

Realize he's going to have a target on him and increasingly teams are going to try and punish him when he drives to the basket. He's a warrior for sure, but even the hardest players get hurt sometimes.

If/when he gets to 700 next season, then you start looking at Bobby Hurley's record.

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

Health is the biggest factor. Yuri's not even halfway to 1,000. He's been on an amazing clip these past few weeks but he's also 1 freak landing/collision away from missing extended time. Even a concussion would seriously damage his prospects of getting to 1,000.

Realize he's going to have a target on him and increasingly teams are going to try and punish him when he drives to the basket. He's a warrior for sure, but even the hardest players get hurt sometimes.

If/when he gets to 700 next season, then you start looking at Bobby Hurley's record.

We've said if he remains healthy. 

45 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Was Jordair Jett a point guard?  If so, how do you discount an A10 Player of the Year award and not say he was the best?  

I agree on a Best PG season award. But I think Jett gets docked for only being the starting point guard for that one glorious season and being the backup for two others.

What I posted earlier about Ryan ? playing with H Waldman was incorrect.  I was really thinking of Even Pederson (6'8")who played in 93.  H transferred in 94.  No one on the roster was listed as a center;however, David Robinson 6'6", Jeff Harris 6"4", Donny Campbell 6"5", all  filled in at center.  Sekeue Barrantine 6'8" also played some.

39 minutes ago, papal said:

What I posted earlier about Ryan ? playing with H Waldman was incorrect.  I was really thinking of Even Pederson (6'8")who played in 93.  H transferred in 94.  No one on the roster was listed as a center;however, David Robinson 6'6", Jeff Harris 6"4", Donny Campbell 6"5", all  filled in at center.  Sekeue Barrantine 6'8" also played some.

u r indeed not infallible

willie likes this

• 2 months later...

Not a Yuri fan prior to him not appearing in NIT game. If Tennessee plays better competition I doubt Yuri can compete; does not  Have eyes in back of his head. He is fast but not the fastest; I am not convinced will ever be as good again; he had a very good season; SLU did not finish well in lots of games because we could not take defensive pressure. SLU got off to lots of good starts only to lose the lead towards end of game.  A great point guard has a won-lost record better than Yuri’s

I'm just as angry if not angrier than anybody, but let's not get carried away...Yuri Collins is really fuoking good at basketball. One of the best PGs in the nation and had he stayed (**if he stays?) in St. Louis he would be (**will be?) competing for recognition as the #1 at his position. 

I still believe that to be true. 

slufanskip and Littlebill like this

5 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I'm just as angry if not angrier than anybody, but let's not get carried away...Yuri Collins is really fuoking good at basketball. One of the best PGs in the nation and had he stayed (**if he stays?) in St. Louis he would be (**will be?) competing for recognition as the #1 at his position. 

He’s very good no doubt.  But not the best. Maybe one of the best 6’-1” and below.  Big guards really made him struggle last year.  I have no issues with him making the choice to leave.  Does it suck? Yes.  But if he’s really getting that kind of money 95% of us would have done it.  

6 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

The real question is who will you put on your profile picture if he does in fact leave?

8 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Jim Roder controlled the game and was a better point guard than Yuri

But I thought the consensus on the board was Yuri wasn’t going to be great until he scored more? 

I didn’t see Roder play but 6.7/2.4 is pretty darn good but Yuri scored 5 more ppg and had 1 more steal pg. 

Yuri is very good, but imo Mitchell was better and I never considered Kwamain one of the best in the nation so I have a hard time coming to that conclusion with Yuri. Yuri is a unique player and may be one of the best passers in the nation but I wouldn’t consider him one of the best couple of  PGs

9 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Yuri is very good, but imo Mitchell was better and I never considered Kwamain one of the best in the nation so I have a hard time coming to that conclusion with Yuri. Yuri is a unique player and may be one of the best passers in the nation but I wouldn’t consider him one of the best couple of  PGs

Good points and besides where has Yuri taken us - not even close to KM.  Now that being said, we are in trouble now that he left unless Ford pulls a rabbit out of his hat.