Best Billikens Point Guard

thetorch

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, slufanskip said:

That discussion re best Billiken point guards is irrelevant. 

I can’t make a case for or against anyone Torch mentioned as I’ve never seen them play but adding who!s hands do you want the ball in for the final seconds isn’t really a valid point for the discussion 

How much time left? Down 2 or 3, home or away. Down 2 or 3 with GJim and/or Perk on the floor 10* seconds left I love Yuri having the ball. Plus are we really deciding the best pg over the who’s the best scorer in the last 15 seconds? 

The point is there are multiple aspects to being a great point guard.  Yuri is great at 3 of them and people are highlighting that to say he's the greatest PG ever.  There are other factors involved that other past PGs beat Yuri at handily in playing that position.

billiken_roy likes this

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Fraz said:

Kendric Davis > Yuri is hilarious.  Yuri sonned him no more than 2 weeks ago

Most frustrating part of that game is the gap should've been way wider. Kendric Davis should've fouled out about 5 times in that game, hung around way longer than good officiating would've allowed IMO. Maybe they were scared to eject him because they heard he's a "bad motherf*cker"?  

• 5 months later...
On 11/20/2022 at 4:38 PM, Duff Man said:

I think let's wait until the end of the season to make any formal declaration but something would have to go wrong for Yuri not to own this designation when all is said and done. 

That was a baller performance today.

Something's gone wrong

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d88f7972-a3e4-4bf3-ae8e-dd89094b97be

brianstl likes this

On 5/20/2023 at 6:31 PM, WVBilliken said:

David Burns .... by a mile IMO

David Burns was a great player, Metro Conference Co-Player of the Year his Senior Year at SLU, Ekker Year 3, and I saw Burns play a lot of games, as his 2 years at SLU were my Sophomore and Junior years at SLU.  However, David Burns was more of a combo guard.  LaTodd Johnson played along side him and was often more of the Point Guard.  SLU's best Offense was often the Four Quarters, with either Burns or LaTodd manning the point.  When LaTodd was at PG, Burns would score on drives or pull up jumpers from the corner.

12 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Im showing my age here, but Charlie Newberry was as slick as they come. Might not have had the roster top to bottom that others had, but loved watching him play.

mhg

Mike, he actually had an outstanding surrounding class imo.   douglas and gray, the best of the luechtefelds and of course arguably the greatest billiken of all time, anthony bonner.   i'd take that lineup in their prime right now without thinking about it.   but charlie indeed for a prototype stereotypical point guard.  

i guess i am showing my age as well.  😄

AGB91 and BLIKNS like this