Best Billikens Point Guard

thetorch

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

If Yuri continues with his current 3.9 TO/game, he could conceivably break the all time NCAA turnover record. 

Please consider this (or don’t idc) in best PG discussion. Just thought it might spruce up the convo

Yes obviously this is a troll post. Still not wrong though.

Magic Johnson is second in NBA history in turnovers / game. He sucks too. 

Also at 3.9/ game. Good try tho

8 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Magic Johnson is second in NBA history in turnovers / game. He sucks too. 

Also at 3.9/ game. Good try tho

First, I don’t agree that Yuri sucks. He’s a very good player. Second, 100% Agreed with you that one of these is true:

1. Yuri is on track to turn the ball over more than any other college basketball player ever.

2. Magic Johnson is a good player comp for Yuri Collins

Just now, glazedandconfused said:

100% Agreed with you that one of these is true:

1. Yuri is on track to turn the ball over more than any other college basketball player.

2. Magic Johnson is a good player comp for Yuri Collins

The point is TO/gm isn't really a good metric for determining PG quality..... no one is saying YC = Magic..... 

3 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

The point is TO/gm isn't really a good metric for determining PG quality..... no one is saying YC = Magic..... 

Yeah, I assumed no one was actually saying Yuri=Magic haha Also, I’m on the side of Yuri being a very good if not great CBB PG. He also just may have the most turnovers in NCAA history and that isn’t inconsequential. 

11 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Yeah, I assumed no one was actually saying Yuri=Magic haha Also, I’m on the side of Yuri being a very good if not great CBB PG. He also just may have the most turnovers in NCAA history and that isn’t inconsequential. 

And he may have more assists than any player in NCAA history. There is that

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

If Yuri continues with his current 3.9 TO/game, he could conceivably break the all time NCAA turnover record. 

Please consider this (or don’t idc) in best PG discussion. Just thought it might spruce up the convo

Yes obviously this is a troll post. Still not wrong though.

Obviously a troll post.  And you are very wrong.

1 . His average this year is 3.9.  His career average is 3.1.  You can't really extrapolate total career output from 1 season when other seasons have different rates.

2. He has 220 TOs.  He's played 70 games.  His career is halfway over.  We aren't playing 35 games a year the next two years probably.  Who knows if he stays for a 5th year anyway.  So lets double his TOs to 440, or even go up to 450.

3. That isn't anyway near the all time TO leader.

4. Who do you think the all time TO leader is?  Some sites have a player in the 500s.  They only go back a few years.  The actual TO leader is much higher than that.

Collins has almost no chance of being the TO leader.  He's have to average 4.5-5 over the next two seasons.  If he is doing that either he won't be playing much or his usage rate will be in the 40s or 50s and he will have turned into one of the greatest players ever.  Not gonna happen.

7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Obviously a troll post.  And you are very wrong.

1 . His average this year is 3.9.  His career average is 3.1.  You can't really extrapolate total career output from 1 season when other seasons have different rates.

2. He has 220 TOs.  He's played 70 games.  His career is halfway over.  We aren't playing 35 games a year the next two years probably.  Who knows if he stays for a 5th year anyway.  So lets double his TOs to 440, or even go up to 450.

3. That isn't anyway near the all time TO leader.

4. Who do you think the all time TO leader is?  Some sites have a player in the 500s.  They only go back a few years.  The actual TO leader is much higher than that.

Collins has almost no chance of being the TO leader.  He's have to average 4.5-5 over the next two seasons.  If he is doing that either he won't be playing much or his usage rate will be in the 40s or 50s and he will have turned into one of the greatest players ever.  Not gonna happen.

1. Just need to point out #1 is a dumb point. I think you’ll agree Yuri won’t be splitting time with jordan goodwin going forward haha

2. My mistake, Yuri may be 2nd all time in turnovers. But thanks for making my point on the rest of it. Yuri is good! Very good! Maybe best SLU PG ever! He also turns the ball over a ton and that can’t be dismissed!

Adam Dunn is still a great baseball player. 

1 hour ago, almaman said:

if he averages 8 a game & has 70 more games left the fact that this thread with this title wasn't about him the whole times going to look pretty silly.

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

1. Just need to point out #1 is a dumb point. I think you’ll agree Yuri won’t be splitting time with jordan goodwin going forward haha

2. My mistake, Yuri may be 2nd all time in turnovers. But thanks for making my point on the rest of it. Yuri is good! Very good! Maybe best SLU PG ever! He also turns the ball over a ton and that can’t be dismissed!

Yuri will have minimum 75-76 games remaining and it’s entirely possible he has 80. There are 4 players in NCAA history with over 1000 assists. With 75 games remaining he’ll need 7.3 to be the 5th. All of the 4 have career t/o rates of 3.2 or higher topped by the number 1 guy ( hmmm the guy with the most assists also turns the ball over the most. Who’d have thought that ) Bobby Hurley at 3.9 

Those of you who think that a guy with 8+ assists a game has too many t/o’s with a 2/1 rate should probably quit posting on Billikens.com and just spend some extra time learning about the game. Does that mean he never makes a bad pass or a bad decision? Nope but in the end a 2/1 rate with his assist numbers is better than just good

41 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yuri will have minimum 75-76 games remaining and it’s entirely possible he has 80. There are 4 players in NCAA history with over 1000 assists. With 75 games remaining he’ll need 7.3 to be the 5th. All of the 4 have career t/o rates of 3.2 or higher topped by the number 1 guy ( hmmm the guy with the most assists also turns the ball over the most. Who’d have thought that ) Bobby Hurley at 3.9 

Those of you who think that a guy with 8+ assists a game has too many t/o’s with a 2/1 rate should probably quit posting on Billikens.com and just spend some extra time learning about the game. Does that mean he never makes a bad pass or a bad decision? Nope but in the end a 2/1 rate with his assist numbers is better than just good

thanks

2 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

So he's splitting time with Goodwin and when Goodwin leaves his TOs only go up 18%.  Not bad.

Again even if Yuri plays the remaining 2 years on his eligibility he won't be anywhere near to holding the TO record.  He may not be in the top 50.  Considering he'll have played nearly a season's worth of games more than most players in history that is actually quite good.

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

should probably quit posting on Billikens.com and just spend some extra time learning about the game.

legitimately funny thing for an adult to type out to a stranger on the internet.  But yes we agree. Yuri is very good/great.PG that could clean it up. Sorry to upset so many! 

***Theres a rational argument Yuri is not a top 3 PG in the A10 currently. I think he is, but check around with non SLU fans, y’all might see we aren’t the 90s Bulls

26 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

legitimately funny thing for an adult to type out to a stranger on the internet.  But yes we agree. Yuri is very good/great.PG that could clean it up. Sorry to upset so many! 

***Theres a rational argument Yuri is not a top 3 PG in the A10 currently. I think he is, but check around with non SLU fans, y’all might see we aren’t the 90s Bulls

You know what’s actually funny is an adult that gets a kick out of being an ass on a message board. 

I should have put you on ignore before but it’s done now. 

On 1/29/2022 at 4:35 PM, almaman said:

not really my point. how about I'm guessing Jordan, Bird & other high point NBA legends are in top 20 of total missed shots. 

Kobe Bryant missed more shots than anyone in NBA history. He's also fourth in all-time scoring and was third until Lebron recently passed him. There's a direct correlation between Kobe's usage rate and both his missed and made shots, very similar to the correlation between Yuri's usage rate and his assists/turnovers. 

On 1/29/2022 at 5:20 PM, slufanskip said:

And he may have more assists than any player in NCAA history. There is that

If he continues through his remaining games based on eligibility (~80) at just his career average of 6.5 he'd end up with 974 career assists. That's assuming a fifth year but no post-season games. 

If he continues through his remaining games with that same guesstimated 80 games at his current average of 8.4 he'd end up with 1,126 career assists which would put him a comfortable 50 assists above the all-time career leader Bobby Hurley. 

If he stays for a 5th year and plays that guesstimated 80 games at the average of his career and current season average - 7.45 - he'd end up with 1,050 assists just 26 shy of Bobby. This calculation is to show that there's room for regression though we have every reason to expect progression. 

I think it's more realistic that he averages closer to 8.4 than 6.5 given the talent we have and are returning, and I'd be more surprised to see his average below 9 than above it by the season's end. We're clicking well, and he's the key to that. Add Perkins next year and he could very well average 12 assists per game - pipe dream from a Yuri stan, maybe, but there's an argument there and you all know it. 

Additionally, Yuri sits just 21 shy of 10th all-time on SLU's Career Steals leaderboard. 

If he continues with his average of 2.1 steals per game, assuming ~80 games left in his career, he would finish with 279 career steals to put him a whole 54 steals ahead of Goodwin for #1 on the leaderboard. If Yuri finishes #1 in both categories, (likely) doubling the previous assists record and holding the steals record by 50 units over 2nd place and nearly 100 over 3rd place, he is unarguably the greatest Billiken point guard of all time and one of the best in any position. 

To further emphasize my point, if Yuri continues at his career average of 6.7PPG - which is nearly 4PPG fewer than this season's average - he will end his career as a 1,000 point scorer as well. If Yuri plays another ~80 games at the average of his career and current season's average - 8.5PPG - that puts him at 1,149 career points and just 11 points shy of Top 25 Billiken scorers of all time. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

43 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Additionally, Yuri sits just 21 shy of 10th all-time on SLU's Career Steals leaderboard. 

If he continues with his average of 2.1 steals per game, assuming ~80 games left in his career, he would finish with 279 career steals to put him a whole 54 steals ahead of Goodwin for #1 on the leaderboard. If Yuri finishes #1 in both categories, (likely) doubling the previous assists record and holding the steals record by 50 units over 2nd place and nearly 100 over 3rd place, he is unarguably the greatest Billiken point guard of all time and one of the best in any position. 

To further emphasize my point, if Yuri continues at his career average of 6.7PPG - which is nearly 4PPG fewer than this season's average - he will end his career as a 1,000 point scorer as well. If Yuri plays another ~80 games at the average of his career and current season's average - 8.5PPG - that puts him at 1,149 career points and just 11 points shy of Top 25 Billiken scorers of all time. 

I think he's now top 20 in the country in steals. I've always felt like it kind of makes sense to subtract steals from t/o's when assessing a pg. Which would make Gilyards season even more outstanding. 

32 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

If we're doing cross-sport analogies, a better one for assists/turnovers would be TDs/INTs. 

Yuri is clearly Brett Favre. 

Brett Favre never played any defense. Yuri plays great on-ball defense and takes violent charges.

Bonds played great defense, stole bases, and scored hella runs. He just happened to be one of the biggest whiffers of his era. He was a borderline HOF candidate nonetheless.

majerus mojo likes this