The Billiken

ldm

I have followed this board for many years and only posted a couple of times.  I have limited computer skills.  Am a member of the Art Museum.  Today's object of art is a billiken created by a K.C. artist in 1908 and has become an object of art for native persons in Alaska and also the mascot of the SLU athletic programs.  It was the object of songs.  Maybe if someone is a member of the Museum, that person can bring the picture of the billiken and the explanation into this thread .  Thanks

NH likes this

I wonder if this billiken is the same one that the school took as its mascot.  The story I heard was that our billiken came from Asia as a novelty.  I believe that the ones that the Native Alaskans use has been in their culture for hundreds of years  and has some spiritual connection.

SLU hosted a few years back a conference on the origins of Billiken for bicentennial that I attended.  Unfortunately the presenter knew less than I did, and brought fewer props.  An MBM and grocery store manager took over the lecture in front a bunch of academic stiffs.  A sad sad display by the university.

There is a lot of legends out there but the Billiken was created in 1908 in KC.  It is prevalent in Japan and Alaska but for different, not ancient reasons.  Japan has a love for all American Kitsch, Alaskans love to sell tourists trinkets that look authentic.  I went to Osaka as a teen and didn't take in the Billikens like i should have.  I hope to go back one day.  I own several Billiken figurines including the one pictured above.  They are quite plentiful and still being produced in Alaska.

Here is the best site I have found for history of the Billiken.

https://churchofgoodluck.com/home-of-the-church-of-good-luck-and-museum-of-good-luck/billiken/

I have a carved Billiken from my Alaska cruise/trip some years ago - small bluish stone but every BBM would recognize it for what it is.

My board avatar is the cover of “The Billiken Rag” - written by EJ Stark, the son of Scott Joplin’s St Louis publisher - John Stark.  
You can find it on You Tube, but the one I heard was more in a honky-rink mode than classic ragtime which can be lyrical. It’s in my repertoire but I’d have to spend some time with it before I’d perform it for others.