The Bills over GW by 19

The Wiz

Yes it is.  Show me who’s mentioned Fordham’s defense. Show me who presented any numbers.  Of course, Fordham’s defense benefits from the fact they run full shot-clock offense and limit possessions by the other team.

First , let me say this was a good win and a big night for Yuri (new SLU career record on assists)...We did what we were supposed to do...beat a D team soundly. We didn't make the spread BUT we could have if we wanted to. One of the problems of picking a big spread is the winning team stops trying and pulls their starters early.  No big deal ...still a good win. However , I do want to take a timeout before we get to the post game analysis to point out a disturbing trend in the last couple of games. Further, this trend did not affect the outcome of either game but it is something that needs to be dealt with or their could be an issue down the road.

3P shooting...This is a good news /bad news issue.  The good news is Jimerson is shooting a phenomenal 61.9% (13-21)...unbelievable... 38.4%+ is an A+....  The bad news is the rest of the team is shooting a dismal 7.1% (2-28)...to put this in context,  29% is an F-.... small sample size but wide divergent even for small samples. Again , it made no difference in either game but could pose a problem if it carries forward into games against better teams where we don't have as much leeway..

OK...rant over ...now on to the good stuff.  Bolded phrases are from the original post in this thread.

Our good defense needs to shut down GW...I mean really shut them down...like less than 60 pts. We did shut them down....25pts in the 1st half and we were on track to keep them to less than 60... Again this was something we could have done  but once our lead got into the 20s we just started to trade baskets  and let starters rest.

48/37/ 77 ...actual 46/32/92...a little short on the 3s(see above rant) but even with that,  still fairly close...1 more 3 and we would have been on target...47/37/92...again the rant was to point out  the hidden trend in the 3s. 

Reb...10+...Actual 39-30...9 extra... on target and a difference maker...2nd chance pts 15-5 Bills favor plus 16 extra shots. Extra shots and 2nd chance pts allowed us to cruise in this game.

TOs 11... 8...2nd 8 in a row...good for another A+ ...Another game changer 

Bishop and Bamisile are their offensive threats...hold them to a combined 23pts...Yes they were...Scored 48pts... 72% of GW's pts...this was a miss... could have done a better job  ...we did in the 1st half when GW was held to 25pts...Those 2 scored most of their pts in the 2nd half when we took our foot off the gas. But once again ...no matter.

no over confidence .. We didn't play with over confidence ...just confidence and a sense of urgency... a little more focus and fire than some earlier games.

Remember UMass part2 and then hold that thought....

If we do...

And play like part 2

The Colonials will be through.

How true.....

Now we need to continue to hold that thought. 

Bottom line ...if we continue to rebound and keep TOs low...we will be the team to beat in the A-10

6 hours ago, The Wiz said:

First , let me say this was a good win and a big night for Yuri (new SLU career record on assists)...We did what we were supposed to do...beat a D team soundly. We didn't make the spread BUT we could have if we wanted to. One of the problems of picking a big spread is the winning team stops trying and pulls their starters early.  No big deal ...still a good win. However , I do want to take a timeout before we get to the post game analysis to point out a disturbing trend in the last couple of games. Further, this trend did not affect the outcome of either game but it is something that needs to be dealt with or their could be an issue down the road.

3P shooting...This is a good news /bad news issue.  The good news is Jimerson is shooting a phenomenal 61.9% (13-21)...unbelievable... 38.4%+ is an A+....  The bad news is the rest of the team is shooting a dismal 7.1% (2-28)...to put this in context,  29% is an F-.... small sample size but wide divergent even for small samples. Again , it made no difference in either game but could pose a problem if it carries forward into games against better teams where we don't have as much leeway..

OK...rant over ...now on to the good stuff.  Bolded phrases are from the original post in this thread.

Our good defense needs to shut down GW...I mean really shut them down...like less than 60 pts. We did shut them down....25pts in the 1st half and we were on track to keep them to less than 60... Again this was something we could have done  but once our lead got into the 20s we just started to trade baskets  and let starters rest.

48/37/ 77 ...actual 46/32/92...a little short on the 3s(see above rant) but even with that,  still fairly close...1 more 3 and we would have been on target...47/37/92...again the rant was to point out  the hidden trend in the 3s. 

Reb...10+...Actual 39-30...9 extra... on target and a difference maker...2nd chance pts 15-5 Bills favor plus 16 extra shots. Extra shots and 2nd chance pts allowed us to cruise in this game.

TOs 11... 8...2nd 8 in a row...good for another A+ ...Another game changer 

Bishop and Bamisile are their offensive threats...hold them to a combined 23pts...Yes they were...Scored 48pts... 72% of GW's pts...this was a miss... could have done a better job  ...we did in the 1st half when GW was held to 25pts...Those 2 scored most of their pts in the 2nd half when we took our foot off the gas. But once again ...no matter.

no over confidence .. We didn't play with over confidence ...just confidence and a sense of urgency... a little more focus and fire than some earlier games.

Remember UMass part2 and then hold that thought....

If we do...

And play like part 2

The Colonials will be through.

How true.....

Now we need to continue to hold that thought. 

Bottom line ...if we continue to rebound and keep TOs low...we will be the team to beat in the A-10

I understand your point about the 3 pt shooting but just as GJ is skewing our totals up so do TJ and WIlliams pathetic performance downward.   Not sure how that issue factors in but if TG and Williams were not shooting would Nesbitt have maybe gotten  a couple or so shots and he is shooting a lot better.

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I understand your point about the 3 pt shooting but just as GJ is skewing our totals up so do TJ and WIlliams pathetic performance downward.   Not sure how that issue factors in but if TG and Williams were not shooting would Nesbitt have maybe gotten  a couple or so shots and he is shooting a lot better.

You are comparing TJ and Williams? Is there no end to life’s little indignities?

28 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

You are comparing TJ and Williams? Is there no end to life’s little indignities?

No I am not comparing anybody to anybody.  I was asking about how the skewed numbers were a result of GJ shooting very well and the other two missing every shot.  Read for comprehension before you go off accusing people of something they did not do - is there no end to life's little indignities!

The rant is the issue ---- if we get a defensive stopper on Gibby, who do we expect to step up?  As the schedule unfolds, we will see Schwatz at Mason, Camara at Dayton, Welch at Bonaventure, a whole plethora of guards at La Salle (not good but numerous), Lee at Davidson, Burton at Richmond, Martin at URI and VCU's entire clutch-n-grab roster.  We need an alternate plan in the background, just in case.

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The rant is the issue ---- if we get a defensive stopper on Gibby, who do we expect to step up?  As the schedule unfolds, we will see Schwatz at Mason, Camara at Dayton, Welch at Bonaventure, a whole plethora of guards at La Salle (not good but numerous), Lee at Davidson, Burton at Richmond, Martin at URI and VCU's entire clutch-n-grab roster.  We need an alternate plan in the background, just in case.

If they key on GJ then maybe Nesbitt will be open to step up.. He has a nice shot and he is athletic enough.

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I think we have players that deserve a green light. Yes, TJ is in a slump, but when he's on... he's ON. Also, I feel comfortable with Yuri and Deandre shooting 3's at any point. With Jnez, I would prefer him cutting to the basket and slashing than taking the shot, but he hit the most clutch shot this season, so he's got the nod from me. All 5 of these guys (Gibson, Deandre, Jnez, TJ, and Yuri) are shooting above 33%. We just need to make sure they're the ones shooting the 3's...

47 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

gibson is getting so good at creating his opportunities.  i focused on him without the ball in the first half last night and they literally had a hard time containing him.   he is truly becoming the complete player.  

BIG BILL FAN likes this

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

gibson is getting so good at creating his opportunities.  i focused on him without the ball in the first half last night and they literally had a hard time containing him.   he is truly becoming the complete player.  

This is what Coach and Rammer discussed on Monday's Coach's show.  This has been an emphasis with Coach and Jimerson.  He is pretty easy to guard when he is standing still.  Coach wants him constantly moving.  (No FT attempt's last night for Jimerson.  First time that has happened this season.)