GDT UMass part 2

Old guy

I’m still not very confident in Hargrove’s 3 point shooting.

In 3 games he is 9/12. (Mercer, Dayton, loss at UMass)

the rest of the games 10/42

It seems if he can hit that first one the confidence builds and he hits at a super high clip. 
If he misses that first one the confidence is gone and he nothing will fall. 

Hopefully the confidence and consistency will grow but even if it doesn’t he is a very valuable player.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@NH —— what do you do when Collins, Thatch, Hargrove, Williams, Nesbit, Jones, and, yes, even Jimerson pull up for a jumper?  Personally, I cringe and pray.  Do they go in?  Yes, on occasion.  Are there games like yesterday where Gibby hits 7 of 10?  No —— they are rare.  He’s had two , yesterday and two years ago against Tulane.  Like I said, yesterday meant little going forward.  It put us back on track but pushed my focus to next Saturday:  another putrid A10 team in Duquesne.  But it’s at their place.  Which SLU team shows up?  The one that beat Umass and Boise State?  Or the one that lost on the road to Dayton and Umass? And don’t sleep on Geedubya in the meantime.

If you are cringing and praying when people like Jones or Jimerson shoot a 3, I think that says more about how you are watching the game than it does them as players. I would encourage you to try letting occasional enjoyment creep into your viewing. Jimerson is a career 42% 3-point shooter and has had many good shooting games. Jones is a career 39% shooter and I typically am happy when he gets an open look from three. TJ has shot the ball pretty well from 3 for two straight years, so while he's not a sniper, I certainly do not cringe when he shoots an open 3. In general, I think we have a pretty good shooting team and so I am usually hoping for more jumpers, not fewer. 

As far as your other questions, your guess is as good as mine. I agree we cannot sleep on GW and that SLU will need to be more consistent if we want to secure a top four finish in the A10. I'm taking things one game at a time this year.

-I couldn't believe it when I heard CFord say JNezz got lost on the bench because the staff didn't know he only had one foul, how is this possible? it is not the first time coaching for any of the coaches on our bench. I'm a fan but am usually able to keep track of fouls on our guys, the coaches get stats at every media timeout, do we keep our own book like in high school? since we won the game it is comical and embarassing (why say it?), could have been a big screw up

-that's the JNezz we need, not the one from UMass quoted as basically saying he wasn't into the game on Thursday

-I guess the two questions going forward are what Billiken team shows up and do we have a plan to ensure that GibJim will get the volume of shots necessary since he will be on top of the opponent's scouting report

12 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@NH —— what do you do when Collins, Thatch, Hargrove, Williams, Nesbit, Jones, and, yes, even Jimerson pull up for a jumper?  Personally, I cringe and pray.  Do they go in?  Yes, on occasion.  Are there games like yesterday where Gibby hits 7 of 10?  No —— they are rare.  He’s had two , yesterday and two years ago against Tulane.  Like I said, yesterday meant little going forward.  It put us back on track but pushed my focus to next Saturday:  another putrid A10 team in Duquesne.  But it’s at their place.  Which SLU team shows up?  The one that beat Umass and Boise State?  Or the one that lost on the road to Dayton and Umass? And don’t sleep on Geedubya in the meantime.

This is an absolutely insane take.  Are you saying that yesterday and the Tulane game are Gibson's only good games shooting the ball?  Apparently you need a historically great 3 pt performance to be satisfied? Gibson Jimerson is one of the best 3 point shooters in school history.  He is currently 3rd all time in 3 point %, has made over 100 career 3s, and is still a freshman eligibility wise.

The current team is the best 3 pt shooting team by % since 2011-2012.

You seem to be missing the fact that 3 point shots are missed more often than they are made even by the greatest 3 point shooters ever.  Simple math tells you that a much lower % from 3 (33%) is just as good as 50% from 2.  I'm fine with any of the guys you listed shooting it from 3 if they have a decent look.

Bills By 40 and Crewsorlose like this

2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If someone has a video of Traore’s technical foul, post a link. At the time it looked really strange. Then all of a sudden, foul called. I meant to go back and look, but forgot.

Oh, there was nothing strange about it. He hung on the rim after a dunk by probably 0.1 seconds less than allowable, then proceeded to face the SLU bench and do a little dance. The T was for the celebration dance, not hanging on the rim.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I don't understand why you would cringe. 

Yuri before yesterday 11/30 from 3 for 36.7% after 12/30 for 33.3%

Hargrove before yesterday 19/48 for 39.5% after 19/54 for 35.2%

Nesbit before yesterday 21/58 for 36.2% after 21/60 for 35%

Jones 13/34 for 38.2%

Can't argue with Thatch and Williams at this point but together they attempt under 3 - 3's per game. 

Littlebill likes this

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

I’m still not very confident in Hargrove’s 3 point shooting.

In 3 games he is 9/12. (Mercer, Dayton, loss at UMass)

the rest of the games 10/42

It seems if he can hit that first one the confidence builds and he hits at a super high clip. 
If he misses that first one the confidence is gone and he nothing will fall. 

Hopefully the confidence and consistency will grow but even if it doesn’t he is a very valuable player.

Can we take out his worst 3 also. Doesn't seem right to take out his best 3 and leave his 3 worst. 

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Oh, there was nothing strange about it. He hung on the rim after a dunk by probably 0.1 seconds less than allowable, then proceeded to face the SLU bench and do a little dance. The T was for the celebration dance, not hanging on the rim.

Maybe I want to see the video because it looked funny…

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Can we take out his worst 3 also. Doesn't seem right to take out his best 3 and leave his 3 worst. 

Sure. 
he has an 0-6 and 0-4 and a 1-5.

That leaves 2 more 1-5s, 2 more 1-4s, 2 more 1-2s, 2 1-1s, and a 1-3.

That gives him 8 out of 27 so just about 30 percent.

I still think If his confidence is flowing he will have a good shooting night. If he misses a couple it’s hard for him to find a groove.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Seems to me a little celebration dance clearly directed to your own bench, not toward an opposing player, should be allowed. If it were in front of the opposing bench I could see the need for a technical.

RUBillsFan and Pistol like this

31 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If someone has a video of Traore’s technical foul, post a link. At the time it looked really strange. Then all of a sudden, foul called. I meant to go back and look, but forgot.

As others said, after the dunk, he faced the SLU bench and did a little dance. It was one of the greatest moments of this entire season and I need it on a gif yesterday. I was slightly worried that a few of the players on the bench, especially Okoro, were going to injure themselves from falling over laughing. 
Totally worth the T.

SLU_Lax, willie and rgbilliken like this

17 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Sure. 
he has an 0-6 and 0-4 and a 1-5.

That leaves 2 more 1-5s, 2 more 1-4s, 2 more 1-2s, 2 1-1s, and a 1-3.

That gives him 8 out of 27 so just about 30 percent.

I still think If his confidence is flowing he will have a good shooting night. If he misses a couple it’s hard for him to find a groove.

That actually leaves 9/27 for 33%. 

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

That actually leaves 9/27 for 33%. 

You’re right.

Math is hard. 
Either way when some guys are in a funk I want them shooting their way out of it. When Hargrove is in a funk I think trying to shoot his way out of it isn’t the best idea and may actually hurt his confidence.  On those off nights I’d like him to concentrate on contributing in other ways.

slufanskip likes this

32 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Seems to me a little celebration dance clearly directed to your own bench, not toward an opposing player, should be allowed. If it were in front of the opposing bench I could see the need for a technical.

This is exactly where I'm at.  It was clearly a celebration & not taunting the other team.  I can't see much of a difference between doing a little jig versus gratuitously flexing (something Goodwin did all the time) after a dunk as long as you aren't staring down the opponent / opponent's bench when you do it.  There are a myriad of other celebrations guys do after dunks that never get Ts called on them (Drew Timme of Gonzaga's mustache rub comes to mind). The jig was so out of place because no one does that and, honestly, it's up to the other team to inbound the ball quickly & make Lassina look silly for not getting back on defense.

Guys often DO stare down opponents or the opponent bench when flexing, but I've rarely seen a T called on that as long as the stare isn't too long.  There are also other "celebrations" guys do after dunks that ARE meant to taunt the opponent such as the "too small" gesture that don't get Ts called.

I can't get too worked up over the refs calling it, but it just seems incredibly subjective which celebrations to call a T on & which not to, so I'd rather the refs just stay out of it.  I think Lassina doing it was fun & I loved it.  I'm also fine with Ford telling him not to do anymore.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

You’re right.

Math is hard. 
Either way when some guys are in a funk I want them shooting their way out of it. When Hargrove is in a funk I think trying to shoot his way out of it isn’t the best idea and may actually hurt his confidence.  On those off nights I’d like him to concentrate on contributing in other ways.

I get your point and don't completely disagree. The thing with his 3 is it's so slow and flatfooted. On the other hand even if he's 0/3 and he's wide open for the 4th, do you want him to pass it up? I don't think I do. If you do what is the point where he starts passing up an open look? 0/2, 0/3, 0/4? 

billiken_roy likes this

57 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Remember the long ago days of say, early January, where the worry du jour was Jimerson's 3pt shooting?  Four games later and he's up to 43%.  A great 3 pt shooter eventually catching fire from 3 is something I never worry about.

Hard to believe we had posters worried. Now the worry of the day is he's not clutch. 

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

If the Nesbitt that asserted himself yesterday on both ends of the court is the Nesbitt we get the rest of the year..... watch out.  Jimerson might end up averaging over 20 a game as teams have to account for Nesbitt.

I said the same thing earlier. Not only will it help GJim but it'll take pressure off Yuri as it'll be much harder to double Yuri if you have to concentrate defensively on both JNez and GJim. 

I was thinking about who I'd give player of the game to if I had to make a choice and GJim, JNez, or Yuri could all be candidates but I think it'd go to JNez as his emergence came right as we started to pull away with about 5 left in the 1st half. Despite GJim's great shooting and Yuri's passing, I think JNez sparked the run. He almost dominated the game for 20 minutes until we put the subs in. 

I know people will argue but if this is the JNez we get for the rest of the year I'd put money on us winning the conference tourney as long as our 2 headed inside tandem stays healthy. 

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I said the same thing earlier. Not only will it help GJim but it'll take pressure off Yuri as it'll be much harder to double Yuri if you have to concentrate defensively on both JNez and GJim. 

I was thinking about who I'd give player of the game to if I had to make a choice and GJim, JNez, or Yuri could all be candidates but I think it'd go to JNez as his emergence came right as we started to pull away with about 5 left in the 1st half. Despite GJim's great shooting and Yuri's passing, I think JNez sparked the run. He almost dominated the game for 20 minutes until we put the subs in. 

I know people will argue but if this is the JNez we get for the rest of the year I'd put money on us winning the conference tourney as long as our 2 headed inside tandem stays healthy. 

His rebounding was insane. His body control and finishing is so impressive. I wonder if Ford accidentally giving him that long break helped him stay fresh for the later half of the game. Probably not but it crossed my mind. 

23 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

been thinking the same things, being a freshman likely wont get that jnez every game but in the games we do get that bills will be tough to beat