GDT UMass part 2

Old guy

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

TJ has double his ppg, more than tripled his rpg and heading into today was shooting 40% from 3.  He can be streaky at times and just had a bad game offensively.

He is shooting 35% and I am not sure if today's misses are factored it to it.  I am not trying to run him off just pointing out that he has not developed into a starting player game in and game out.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Jesus Mary and Joseph - if you don't improve then you have basically regressed given that the expectations are that a player should grow their game and if they don't then they find themselves sitting.  Being more consistent is what comes with experience and he has had enough time to show that.  As far as his shooting - it has not been anyway close to being really nice.  If he starts connecting consistent, then we can say something nice about his shot.  Clearly his family is getting frustrated and they are blaming the coach but they really need to look at TJ.  He came out of high school with enough credits to think he would be farther along by now.  I wish him nothing but good play because everyone profits that way.

Stagnation is not regression. You can’t just change the meaning of a word to fit your opinion. 
You want to say he’s stagnated, fine I can somewhat get on board, but he’s improved his 3 point shooting, at times he’s been the only bright spot from distance.
I am fully on board with Terry Sr needing to maybe mix in a water when it comes to Twitter. 

Fraz likes this

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Jesus Mary and Joseph - if you don't improve then you have basically regressed given that the expectations are that a player should grow their game and if they don't then they find themselves sitting.  Being more consistent is what comes with experience and he has had enough time to show that.  As far as his shooting - it has not been anyway close to being really nice.  If he starts connecting consistent, then we can say something nice about his shot.  Clearly his family is getting frustrated and they are blaming the coach but they really need to look at TJ.  He came out of high school with enough credits to think he would be farther along by now.  I wish him nothing but good play because everyone profits that way.

Stagnation is not regression. You can’t just change the meaning of a word to fit your opinion. 
You want to say he’s stagnated, fine I can somewhat get on board, but he’s improved his 3 point shooting, at times he’s been the only bright spot from distance.
I am fully on board with Terry Sr needing to maybe mix in a water when it comes to Twitter. 

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

He is shooting 35% and I am not sure if today's misses are factored it to it.  I am not trying to run him off just pointing out that he has not developed into a starting player game in and game out.

If you told me that TJ would be a 35% shooter his freshman year, I’d take that in a heartbeat 

3 hours ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

How did we lose to these scrubs?

Simple math and a review of the box scores will tell you. UMass shot additional 25 FTA and made 21 pts in the second half of the game last Thursday. We only shot 14 and made 13 of them. The refs derailed our defense by calling an additional 11 fouls on us in that game.  This got our key players out before the end of the game. The rest of the stats were fairly well matched for both teams. In my opinion the refs screwed us. I think the results of the game tonight support my point of view.

Tonight the number of PFs called by the refs were even for both teams. We killed them in rebounds, assists, turnovers, and blocks. Think of this, last game with the refs calling every foul on us they could we could not get ahead in any of these areas. Tonight with reasonable refs we did. Both teams were the same that played last Thursday but we neutralized Fernandes, and only two of their players scored double digits.

The difference in my opinion was the refs. You, and very few other members may not know this but forensic statistics is widely used in the corporate world. When something goes unexpectedly into the tails of the distribution curve there is a problem somewhere. This kind of thing has kept auditors busy, every large company has auditors all over for this purpose.

Yes, a team that lost like we did last Thursday has no way, short of a miracle from heaven (a real Jesus moment) to win at the level we won today, against exactly the same opponent and just 3 days after the prior game. However we did. If you wish to believe this was a miracle, just go ahead.

50 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Not only was Hargrove 0-6 from 3 he was also 0-4 from the line. 

He’s streaky and had a bad shooting game. Lucky it came in a game we didn’t need him. 

I thought he played well.  Definitely streaky with his shot but does the little things.  6 boards (3 on the offensive glass) in 18 minutes you will take every day of the week.  Brings energy every day as well 

52 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Simple math and a review of the box scores will tell you. UMass shot additional 25 FTA and made 21 pts in the second half of the game last Thursday. We only shot 14 and made 13 of them. The refs derailed our defense by calling an additional 11 fouls on us in that game.  This got our key players out before the end of the game. The rest of the stats were fairly well matched for both teams. In my opinion the refs screwed us. I think the results of the game tonight support my point of view.

Tonight the number of PFs called by the refs were even for both teams. We killed them in rebounds, assists, turnovers, and blocks. Think of this, last game with the refs calling every foul on us they could we could not get ahead in any of these areas. Tonight with reasonable refs we did. Both teams were the same that played last Thursday but we neutralized Fernandes, and only two of their players scored double digits.

The difference in my opinion was the refs. You, and very few other members may not know this but forensic statistics is widely used in the corporate world. When something goes unexpectedly into the tails of the distribution curve there is a problem somewhere. This kind of thing has kept auditors busy, every large company has auditors all over for this purpose.

Yes, a team that lost like we did last Thursday has no way, short of a miracle from heaven (a real Jesus moment) to win at the level we won today, against exactly the same opponent and just 3 days after the prior game. However we did. If you wish to believe this was a miracle, just go ahead.

I totally disagree with your reasoning about the refs in the first game.  The reffing in the second game had nothing to do with the first game.  Quit making things up to try to make yourself look right

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

I'd say that the Billiken's worst defensive effort of the year, and uncharacteristically poor defensive rebounding was the cause of the additional fouls, and the loss. Surely Saint Louis University's team of forensic auditors will take this into account as the analyze the tails of the distribution curve.

Adman likes this

SLU --- where jump shots come to die.  Jimerson was 7 for 10, the rest of the team 2 for 20 from three.  In the first half, Collns put up an 0-for overall and finished 1 for 6 from three.  Hargrove was zip for six.  Williams went 1 for 6.  Nesbitt was 0 for 2.  In that case, thank gawd for Gibson Jimerson.  It was nice to have a laugher to get things fixed.  Geedubya is not to be slept on but they should be a laugher as well.  Guard Bamisile and Bishop.  Bishop is the opposite of Malachi Smith in that he only likes to go to his left and is lefthanded.  Bamisile is likely a guy you're going to love to hate.

44 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

SLU --- where jump shots come to die.  Jimerson was 7 for 10, the rest of the team 2 for 20 from three.  In the first half, Collns put up an 0-for overall and finished 1 for 6 from three.  Hargrove was zip for six.  Williams went 1 for 6.  Nesbitt was 0 for 2.  In that case, thank gawd for Gibson Jimerson.  It was nice to have a laugher to get things fixed.  Geedubya is not to be slept on but they should be a laugher as well.  Guard Bamisile and Bishop.  Bishop is the opposite of Malachi Smith in that he only likes to go to his left and is lefthanded.  Bamisile is likely a guy you're going to love to hate.

However that 2 for 20 was all Collins, Hargrove, Williams, and JNez. Hargrove and Collins have proven so far this year to be at least acceptable 3 pt shooters, so I’d call it a bad game. JNez the same and only had 2 shots, can’t read into that. Williams I hope won’t be shooting 6 3’s unless we are in another blowout

rgbilliken likes this

UMass isn't good and they don't play defense which is why the loss earlier in the week is so bad. But I still take a lot of good things away from yesterday's game. We have a talented roster (although we are not as deep as I originally thought) and when the team plays with energy on both ends of the floor, that talent shows through and can play with anyone in the country (see Auburn). I still think it's going to be very hard to make the NCAA tournament unless we can consistently find that extra gear and we won't score as easily in future games as we did yesterday but the entire offensive flow yesterday is how we should try to play every game. Run the floor, let your offense feed from your energy on defense, and let Jimerson fire away from 3 to open up the paint for our slashers.

I want Jimerson taking at least 8 3's per game even if they're from deep or heavily contested. I'll take my chances that 3+ go in on most nights and that you'll have more games like yesterday where he hits 7 than games where he hits 0. I want Nesbitt as a secondary playmaker to Yuri and I want Thatch to continue to just be a bulldog on both ends of the floor. I love Hargrove but Thatch may be a better skillet/style fit at this point. Hargrove with energy off the bench has always kind of seemed like the perfect role for him and he'll have games where he is a huge contributor

22 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

the entire offensive flow yesterday is how we should try to play every game. Run the floor, let your offense feed from your energy on defense, and let Jimerson fire away from 3 to open up the paint for our slashers.

been preaching this for 3 years.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

However that 2 for 20 was all Collins, Hargrove, Williams, and JNez. Hargrove and Collins have proven so far this year to be at least acceptable 3 pt shooters, so I’d call it a bad game. JNez the same and only had 2 shots, can’t read into that. Williams I hope won’t be shooting 6 3’s unless we are in another blowout

Don’t try to salient points and stats to the old boys club meeting.

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We've owned UMass offensively for the past two years.  Too bad we had our worst defensive performance of the year a few days prior but scoring against UMass has not been a problem.  Scoring against Dayton, VCU and St. Bonaventure is.

That's because to the previous point we play to the their slow down needs. This team must play fast and as Roy mentioned it has been obvious for awhile. Look at the Boise State win and pre last 7 minutes of the losses at home to UAB ,Auburn and Belmont. Travis has to chill out on the mistakes that happen with a faster pace which . We win those 3 at home and we are ranked today even with the UMASS give away at their place. 

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

SLU --- where jump shots come to die. 

This is the best a Bills team has shot from 3 (and free throws) in a decade. Feels like I weird time to make this your first takeaway from a game in which we scored 91.

5 minutes ago, billikenblue said:

That's because to the previous point we play to the their slow down needs. This team must play fast and as Roy mentioned it has been obvious for awhile. Look at the Boise State win and pre last 7 minutes of the losses at home to UAB ,Auburn and Belmont. Travis has to chill out on the mistakes that happen with a faster pace which . We win those 3 at home and we are ranked today even with the UMASS give away at their place. 

Did you see the Dayton game?  We were trying to play fast and a turnover fest resulted. Those long armed defenders were causing deflections all over the place. It's hard to score when you don't even get shots at the rim.

@NH —— what do you do when Collins, Thatch, Hargrove, Williams, Nesbit, Jones, and, yes, even Jimerson pull up for a jumper?  Personally, I cringe and pray.  Do they go in?  Yes, on occasion.  Are there games like yesterday where Gibby hits 7 of 10?  No —— they are rare.  He’s had two , yesterday and two years ago against Tulane.  Like I said, yesterday meant little going forward.  It put us back on track but pushed my focus to next Saturday:  another putrid A10 team in Duquesne.  But it’s at their place.  Which SLU team shows up?  The one that beat Umass and Boise State?  Or the one that lost on the road to Dayton and Umass? And don’t sleep on Geedubya in the meantime.